Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Helmet Rule
The NFL has confirmed that the new helmet rule will apply to both lines as they come out of their stances. I suspect there will be a slew of penalties for all teams. Frank Pollack will have even more work cut out for him working with our young linemen

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/nfl-confirms-linemen-coming-out-of-their-stance-are-subject-to-new-helmet-rule/

NFL confirms linemen coming out of their stance are subject to new helmet rule
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2018, 4:01 PM EDT

Getty Images
When the NFL announced a new rule penalizing any player who lowers his head to initiate contact, an immediate question was whether that would apply to linemen coming out of their stances.

The answer to that question is yes.

NFL head of officiating Al Riveron confirmed to reporters today that linemen who come out of their stances with their heads down and initiate contact with the top of the helmet will be penalized.

According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Riveron was asked today at the league meeting, What if a defensive lineman coming out of his stance initiates contact with his head? “Can’t do it. He’s got to get his head up,” Riveron answered.

So NFL linemen are going to have to make significant changes to the way they do their jobs: In the past, linemen frequently made contact with their helmets when coming out of their stances. Now, they can’t.

Eventually, the NFL might just get rid of the three-point stance altogether. This new rule could be a first step toward that.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If they can get every lineman to get his head up, great... Or we are looking at 5 hr games with all the penalties and stoppage...
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If they can get every lineman to get his head up, great... Or we are looking at 5 hr games with all the penalties and stoppage...

I can see it now: "The refs are biased against us! They called us for 34 penalties but only called 27 on the other team!"  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
And the wussification of what was once a great game, continues..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And the wussification of what was once a great game, continues..

Dont blame me, I tuned out when they made facemasks mandatory!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:25 PM)pally Wrote: The NFL has confirmed that the new helmet rule will apply to both lines as they come out of their stances.  I suspect there will be a slew of penalties for all teams.  Frank Pollack will have even more work cut out for him working with our young linemen

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/nfl-confirms-linemen-coming-out-of-their-stance-are-subject-to-new-helmet-rule/

NFL confirms linemen coming out of their stance are subject to new helmet rule
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2018, 4:01 PM EDT

Getty Images
When the NFL announced a new rule penalizing any player who lowers his head to initiate contact, an immediate question was whether that would apply to linemen coming out of their stances.

The answer to that question is yes.

NFL head of officiating Al Riveron confirmed to reporters today that linemen who come out of their stances with their heads down and initiate contact with the top of the helmet will be penalized.

According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Riveron was asked today at the league meeting, What if a defensive lineman coming out of his stance initiates contact with his head? “Can’t do it. He’s got to get his head up,” Riveron answered.

So NFL linemen are going to have to make significant changes to the way they do their jobs: In the past, linemen frequently made contact with their helmets when coming out of their stances. Now, they can’t.

Eventually, the NFL might just get rid of the three-point stance altogether. This new rule could be a first step toward that.

No one would use the helmet as a weapon if they weren't wearing one......
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If they can get every lineman to get his head up, great... Or we are looking at 5 hr games with all the penalties and stoppage...

New Rule....   If the penality backs you into the Endzone.... its a safety...

Games will end 8-4
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And the wussification of what was once a great game, continues..

Ducking the head is for wimps.  Real men hit face up!

This is making the game better instead of worse.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ducking the head is for wimps.  Real men hit face up!

This is making the game better instead of worse.

Actually, think about this. Coming out of a 3pt stance or a set stance with your head up may grossly increase neck injuries if you don't get your arms up faster than your opponent.. I don't think this is a good thing for the line.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 07:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Actually, think about this. Coming out of a 3pt stance or a set stance with your head up may grossly increase neck injuries if you don't get your arms up faster than your opponent.. I don't think this is a good thing for the line.

I worry, especially for the centers.  They already start in a vulnerable position and will be unable to adjust their stance to account for a new head position.

In a way, the young guys might actually have an advantage here.  They aren't so ingrained in their movements as the older guys.  So many come from spread offenses now that when they hut the pros they have to learn new techniques anyway.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We should go back to leather helmets and shoulder pads. and let the guys use any drug they wanted. They know what they signed up for later in life.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
So.....if your at the goal line trying to power it in the RB has to keep his head up? Kinda hard to dive. Or if it's 4th and one the QB has to keep his head up on a sneak? Am I missing something here, how many neck injuries will it take to realize this was a bad idea. Once a couple high profile QB's go out for the year they will change their minds. Just get rid of the damn helmets then. Problem solved.
Reply/Quote
kinda messed up when you think about it. Football players have more protection than any major sport but it dosent work, and more weapons that they cant use.
Reply/Quote
Just like the last 20 safety rules weren't the 'end of football as we know it', neither will this be. Chances are it won't even be enforced except in the most egregious circumstances (remember when Decastro pulled, lowered his head and speared Burfict helmet to helmet as Burfict filled the gap on the edge? Pretty sure Burfict was out for a while with a concussion after that one. Stuff like that will definitely be called).
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:57 PM)treee Wrote: Just like the last 20 safety rules weren't the 'end of football as we know it', neither will this be. Chances are it won't even be enforced except in the most egregious circumstances (remember when Decastro pulled, lowered his head and speared Burfict helmet to helmet as Burfict filled the gap on the edge? Pretty sure Burfict was out for a while with a concussion after that one. Stuff like that will definitely be called).

C'mon man, let's go back to the old rules.  Keep the backup QB relevant!   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:57 PM)treee Wrote: Just like the last 20 safety rules weren't the 'end of football as we know it', neither will this be. Chances are it won't even be enforced except in the most egregious circumstances (remember when Decastro pulled, lowered his head and speared Burfict helmet to helmet as Burfict filled the gap on the edge? Pretty sure Burfict was out for a while with a concussion after that one. Stuff like that will definitely be called).

Well we all know Pitt won't be enforced but I get the point.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:21 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: We should go back to leather helmets and shoulder pads. and let the guys use any drug they wanted.  They know what they signed up for later in life.

They do indeed know what they signed up for.  Er, well if you ignore the part where the NFL went to great lengths to make sure NFL players actually did NOT know what they signed up for, but now it's all crystal clear!
Reply/Quote
The Ryan Shazier rule ?
Reply/Quote
A convenient tool that can be used to fix games at any moment with the recent changes to sports betting.

Used to be hard if a defender didnt jump off sides or something to help the offense out on a run play.

Now when the Steelers need a big 3rd or 4th down conversion and get stuffed they can just throw a flag on a DT for firing of the line and playing defense.

Might help push the NFL into Reds territory. Unwatchable garbage
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:21 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: We should go back to leather helmets and shoulder pads. and let the guys use any drug they wanted.  They know what they signed up for later in life.

Yeah, that sounds really fair to everyone.

"Congratulations man,  You were blessed with amazing physical abilitites and you have worked harder than everyone else, now the only way you get to make money is if you agree to sacrifice your brains and body and spend all your life past age 35 in pain.  'Cause, you know, us fans ain't going to be no wussies.  You can tell what hardasses we are by the games we watch on TV."
Reply/Quote