Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Helmet Rule
(05-22-2018, 10:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A convenient tool that can be used to fix games at any moment with the recent changes to sports betting.

Used to be hard if a defender didnt jump off sides or something to help the offense out on a run play.

Now when the Steelers need a big 3rd or 4th down conversion and get stuffed they can just throw a flag on a DT for firing of the line and playing defense.

Might help push the NFL into Reds territory. Unwatchable garbage

And the award for drama queen post of the week goes to.............
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 11:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the award for drama queen post of the week goes to.............

I would like to thank the Steelers for being in the afc north. And thank Godell for being a steeler fan and allowing them to play by their own rules and making all this possible. Its an honor
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 10:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A convenient tool that can be used to fix games at any moment with the recent changes to sports betting.

Used to be hard if a defender didnt jump off sides or something to help the offense out on a run play.

Now when the Steelers need a big 3rd or 4th down conversion and get stuffed they can just throw a flag on a DT for firing of the line and playing defense.

Might help push the NFL into Reds territory. Unwatchable garbage

Last time I checked there are no laws requiring you to watch or be a fan. The league isn't going to fold because a few people don't like the rules. They're not going to say, "This one guy wants players to be severely injured and a few maybe even killed so let's stop trying to improve player safety. " 
It's not a blood sport and was never intended to be that, but hey, nobody is stopping you from moving to a country where they allow human sacrifices for entertainment although I'm not sure which country that might be.. 
Truth of the matter is players are paid huge salaries. It's in nobodies interest to have players hurt and maimed for life. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 12:06 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would like to thank the Steelers for being in the afc north. And thank Godell for being a steeler fan and allowing them to play by their own rules and making all this possible. Its an honor

Touche
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 12:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Last time I checked there are no laws requiring you to watch or be a fan. 

Actually I think with Nati it is court ordered.

Some sort of new alternative sentencing program the State is trying.

But I could be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 12:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I think with Nati it is court ordered.

Some sort of new alternative sentencing program the State is trying.

But I could be wrong.

Technically and figuratively, yes, you're wrong. 
I kind of doubt that the death penalty will any time be replaced with compulsory football watching.. LOL

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 12:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: Technically and figuratively, yes, you're wrong. 
I kind of doubt that the death penalty will any time be replaced with compulsory football watching.. LOL

I dunno, there is Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
Guess I shouldn't knock the Browns. I honestly like what their doing up there. They are getting some very good players ( kinda hard not to when you have the amount of high picks they've had recently) I think they are going to be the top team in the division in a couple years.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And the wussification of what was once a great game, continues..

Yup.

They get rid of the three pt stance the running game will be draws. Plus tackles are going to get eaten up by edge rushers. Smaller edge guys will start winning out.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:25 PM)pally Wrote: The NFL has confirmed that the new helmet rule will apply to both lines as they come out of their stances.  I suspect there will be a slew of penalties for all teams.  Frank Pollack will have even more work cut out for him working with our young linemen

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/nfl-confirms-linemen-coming-out-of-their-stance-are-subject-to-new-helmet-rule/

NFL confirms linemen coming out of their stance are subject to new helmet rule
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2018, 4:01 PM EDT

Getty Images
When the NFL announced a new rule penalizing any player who lowers his head to initiate contact, an immediate question was whether that would apply to linemen coming out of their stances.

The answer to that question is yes.

NFL head of officiating Al Riveron confirmed to reporters today that linemen who come out of their stances with their heads down and initiate contact with the top of the helmet will be penalized.

According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Riveron was asked today at the league meeting, What if a defensive lineman coming out of his stance initiates contact with his head? “Can’t do it. He’s got to get his head up,” Riveron answered.

So NFL linemen are going to have to make significant changes to the way they do their jobs: In the past, linemen frequently made contact with their helmets when coming out of their stances. Now, they can’t.

Eventually, the NFL might just get rid of the three-point stance altogether. This new rule could be a first step toward that.

This will be the classic "can't replay but open to ref interpretation" penalty, much like critical PI plays.  

I can see DeCastro firing off with his body almost parallel to the ground, head first (this is a staple at Stanford) and not being flagged while the Bengals, at the steeler 5 yard line, will have a guy that is "too far forward with his helmet" and get a 15 yard penalty.  Just more control for the boys in stripes to control the games.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 11:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the award for drama queen post of the week goes to.............

Can I at least get an honorable mention?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 07:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Can I at least get an honorable mention?

Sure. 2nd place goes to Drama Quee.

Now celebrate damnit!

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 12:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Last time I checked there are no laws requiring you to watch or be a fan. The league isn't going to fold because a few people don't like the rules. They're not going to say, "This one guy wants players to be severely injured and a few maybe even killed so let's stop trying to improve player safety. " 
It's not a blood sport and was never intended to be that, but hey, nobody is stopping you from moving to a country where they allow human sacrifices for entertainment although I'm not sure which country that might be.. 
Truth of the matter is players are paid huge salaries. It's in nobodies interest to have players hurt and maimed for life. 

First of all, the NFL only started caring about player safety when it was leading to lawsuits.  Secondly, I think what he is saying is that this rule is going to be so open to whatever Gene Steratore (lifelong steeler fan and pitt resident...I know the man) and others want to interpret is that any remote chances of getting a fair game are becoming even more remote.  

You can make fun of those of us that know that when billions are at stake, there is ALWAYS corruption.  

No one here wants players injured, except for the rare asshole that wants to see Bendarella hit so hard he craps his pants on National TV (me), but it is ok to worry about the integrity (or lack thereof) the game when rule changes like this come in to play.  

A perfect example of this is the catch rule.  VERY subjective for a long time.  Teams like the Lions lost games and had huge impacts on their seasons.  Was that due to player safety?  It would seem to me that if you are truly concerned about player safety, just make the player have possession, get two feet down (or one body part like a hip, that counts as two feet) and then allow them to brace for contact with the ground.  Holding on to the ball when they hit the ground opens up the body to shoulder, back, neck, etc injuries.  Why not allow them, on sideline routes, to protect themselves?  Because it isn't all about player safety.  
Reply/Quote
You're right.. It's the end of the world as we know it. Any time now a queen ant will be handing down edicts dictating we all must live underground and rebuild our homes every time it rains..  Nervous

Reply/Quote
Sorry, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I never played line. How the hell can you play on either side of the line with your head down, making it impossible to see what your opposite number is doing anyway? Wouldn't an OT or OG need to have his eyes up to see what the D-linemen are doing, and wouldn't the D-linemen need to have their eyes up to see what the O linemen are doing? 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 07:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Actually, think about this. Coming out of a 3pt stance or a set stance with your head up may grossly increase neck injuries if you don't get your arms up faster than your opponent.. I don't think this is a good thing for the line.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/say-farewell-to-the-three-point-stance/
Reply/Quote

hes not all wrong though.
Reply/Quote
This will be hard to regulate on interior lines.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 07:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Actually, think about this. Coming out of a 3pt stance or a set stance with your head up may grossly increase neck injuries if you don't get your arms up faster than your opponent.. I don't think this is a good thing for the line.

I was thinking the same thi g... I cant find the video , but didn't pollak break his neck that way? I could be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 07:52 AM)grampahol Wrote: You're right.. It's the end of the world as we know it. Any time now a queen ant will be handing down edicts dictating we all must live underground and rebuild our homes every time it rains..  Nervous

I don't think this rule will be for the type of facemask to facemask contact that happens in drive blocking. It will probably only apply when a lineman uses the crown of his helmet. Wish the NFL would come out and clarify that so people would stop freaking out.
Reply/Quote