Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hitting Coach Turner Ward
Stole the Brewers pitching coach and the Dodgers hiring coach. Looking like the team might finally be serious about competing.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 12:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Stole the Brewers pitching coach and the Dodgers hiring coach. Looking like the team might finally be serious about competing.

Pretty impressed with what Williams and crew have done so far. I loved the Bell hiring, and I'm surprised they not only went after, but landed, both Johnson and Ward. 
Reply/Quote
Great hire...but seriously, why do these guys want to come here? To go from PO contending teams to make a lateral move to a dead last team there has to be more to it. Maybe a hefty raise? Building their brand? DW think spending this much money he can skimp out on good players? I would like to hear why they wanted to come here.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 02:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Great hire...but seriously, why do these guys want to come here? To go from PO contending teams to make a lateral move to a dead last team there has to be more to it. Maybe a hefty raise? Building their brand? DW think spending this much money he can skimp out on good players? I would like to hear why they wanted to come here.

I’m sure there were hefty raises, but also, coaches like a challenge. It allows them to see if they are actually good at coaching or were just lucky with good players.
Reply/Quote
Another great hire by the Reds. The Reds' brass is handing out the dough for sure. The Reds already have a solid offense and there are some young hitters that will benefit. Plus, it looks like they are changing the culture for players to succeed.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Maybe ownership is finally getting serious about winning. They have now added legitimate coaching and that is a great start. The payroll has to get up to 140-150 million to show any seriousness. If it gets up to 150, it’s actually only 125 because of the 25 thrown away on Bailey.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 02:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Great hire...but seriously, why do these guys want to come here? To go from PO contending teams to make a lateral move to a dead last team there has to be more to it. Maybe a hefty raise? Building their brand? DW think spending this much money he can skimp out on good players? I would like to hear why they wanted to come here.

They figure they will have the inside track to the manager position when Bell is fired in 2 or 3 years.
Reply/Quote
Ward has managed at Diamondbacks AA and was hitting coach for Diamondbacks and Dodgers as they just won National League back to back years.

So Bell, Brewers pitching coach, Dodgers hitting coach. Keep it going. They need a good bench assistant manager, 3rd base, 1st base, bullpen coaches.

Get these coaches on the team so they can be a huge part of free agency. I still say half the payroll going to Votto and Bailey has to be changed so this team can add more players.

I'm going the opposite direction of FredToast here. I don't think Bell will be fired real fast. Reds could be finally making the changes that put Reds back on the winning track. Now the Reds have been just awful and in last about 5 years. So don't expect first place in first year. I don't think these coaches coming here in hopes Bell gets fired. These coaches are winners and them coming here shows something positive is happening with Reds. Of course Bengals Fans always are negative.

Again, it's good they are getting such quality coaches in here BEFORE free agency, to HELP bring in good players. Reds have to get some free agent starting pitching. The Brewers pitching coach brought in is good, but even he can't turn around all these slugs Reds have been pitching. They need to go to Spring Training with some pitching talent from other teams. Maybe even consider a player from Japan. I bet Japan has pitchers that could start for Reds. These coaches can coach up some of these players, but many of the last place Reds players are just too last place. Good these coaches in to help make needed player moves. Reds have a couple players, but they need to build a TEAM.

Reds small market has to focus on pitching and defense. Heck, they play in Great American SMALL Park, so the home runs will come without big money hitters. Pitching and Defense can make Reds look much better right away.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They figure they will have the inside track to the manager position when Bell is fired in 2 or 3 years.

I had the same thoughts, especially since the Reds hired Price in that Scenario.
Reply/Quote
Could the Reds now bring in Puig and place him at right field? I know that he and Ward were close.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 06:42 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I had the same thoughts, especially since the Reds hired Price in that Scenario.

I'm sure most on this Bengals site have same negative thoughts because they are negative.  Just as they are saying Saints will kill Bengals and even though Bengals 5-3 it's all negative posts.   I actually think it is more positive than this.  Reds are making changes and bringing in some good coaches.  Everything about Reds has been negative, but I see positive moves here.  So you and Fred Toast saying Reds will continue to lose and fire Bell in 2 years, that is the Bengals Fan always negative view. It could be Bell and the coaches get Reds back to winning, and that is the positive view I want to go with.    The Reds are making some positive moves and if the Cubs and Astros were able to get out of last as bad as they were, the Reds can also.  I don't think anybody except you guys are thinking of firing Bell in 1 or 2 years. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 09:25 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm sure most on this Bengals site have same negative thoughts because they are negative.  Just as they are saying Saints will kill Bengals and even though Bengals 5-3 it's all negative posts.   I actually think it is more positive than this.  Reds are making changes and bringing in some good coaches.  Everything about Reds has been negative, but I see positive moves here.  So you and Fred Toast saying Reds will continue to lose and fire Bell in 2 years, that is the Bengals Fan always negative view. It could be Bell and the coaches get Reds back to winning, and that is the positive view I want to go with.    The Reds are making some positive moves and if the Cubs and Astros were able to get out of last as bad as they were, the Reds can also.  I don't think anybody except you guys are thinking of firing Bell in 1 or 2 years. 

I question your reading comprehension skills. I literally stated that the coach signings were a great start. I was also agreeing with Toast that this is probably the coaches mindset, which says zero negative about the Reds. They do need to finish this turnaround and add 30-50 million to the payroll though if they are serious about becoming a playoff team and not going for a 5th straight year of last place. I actually posted in a Bengals thread earlier today that the Bengals were going to surprise everyone and play a close game against the Saints. I’m not always optimistic with either team but I’m not totally negative either. I praise and criticize anytime I feel that is what they deserve. Other people are free to be 90% positive or 90% negative. I happen to be neither, it is a free country though!
Reply/Quote
Lets hope the Reds take action this year in the winter meetings. I would like to see a pitcher of quality signed.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The way I see it the Reds and the Bengals are like two magnets when you try to push them together and they go in completely different directions . The Reds appear to be heading in the positive direction while the Bengals are headed towards the 90s or worse. I can't even imagine both teams winning their divisions and championships in the same decades much less the same century. Since the Bengals are doing historically bad it can only mean the World Series for the Reds.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote