Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New LB coach-Al Golden
Al Golden was most recently the LB coach for the Lions. He was fired from that job at the end of their season along with the entire defensive staff. Previously he was the Univ of Miami's head coach

let the complaining begin

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Seems his star is fading.
Reply/Quote
Why was he fired from the Lions after 1yr? Was it because he sucked or some other reason? Just briefed through his Bio and was not really impressed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll admit, that's not really the sort of hire I was hoping for. I was hoping for a formerly successful DC that had failed in his attempt at being a HC, that was needing a job to redeem himself..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
*Goes back to optimistic Joe Burrow threads*
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:04 PM)Big Boss Wrote: *Goes back to optimistic Joe Burrow threads*

Yeah, not who I was hoping for but he did coach at Linebacker U for a bit.

Problem is Miami hasn't been Linebacker U for a long time now.
Reply/Quote
He's a TE coach too (with Detroit). May be a move to help them cover.

Duffner can handle the lbers if this guy isn't any good.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll admit, that's not really the sort of hire I was hoping for.  I was hoping for a formerly successful DC that had failed in his attempt at being a HC, that was needing a job to redeem himself..

Detroit fired the entire defensive staff.  He may have just been part of the crowd but I don't know.  I have to do more research on Detroit's LB group

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:13 PM)pally Wrote: Detroit fired the entire defensive staff.  He may have just been part of the crowd but I don't know.  I have to do more research on Detroit's LB group

Yeah, their LBs all seemed to have alright stats, but an article I was reading said injuries played a major part in the Detroit Defense's lack of success.  Hard to tell, really.  I'm not a PFF subscriber, so I don't even have those numbers to "cheat" an opinion from.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So what’s his connection to Taylor?

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, not who I was hoping for but he did coach at Linebacker U for a bit.

Problem is Miami hasn't been Linebacker U for a long time now.

Wasn't that Penn State anyway?

When I read the title of the thread, I wondered where I knew that name from. Then it hit me.

Was he the HC at the U when the whole grimey booster thing happened 10 years ago or so? The really bad one with abortions and all that?

EDIT: Golden became HC at Miami after that scandal. I apologise for slandering his name before he even gets here. I'm sure his players will have his good name mud soon enough.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So what’s his connection to Taylor?

His time in Miami overlapped with Turner and Taylor for sure. Drinking buddies are at it again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:30 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't that Penn State anyway?

Yeah, they both kept claiming it at one time or another.
Reply/Quote
Great. Another s*** hire by Zac Taylor and Co. Whatever
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have kept Haslett...
Reply/Quote
I thought Al Golden was a pretty hot HC prospect after his time at Temple, but he didn’t do much after Miami hired him (to be fair no one has for a long while) and then he disappeared. At least the guy has 10 years of head coaching experience albeit was in college. For me neither an exciting nor a terrible hire. Still hoping we add Bill Callahan in some position. No changes happening to the staff so i’d like to bring in as much experience as possible.

What is Mike Sherman doing wasn’t he another guy with connections to Zac we wanted last year?
Reply/Quote
I'm not gonna read too much into the hire. Regardless of who the coach is, we need to bring in a legit LB and round this group out with some talent. He has more experience than Lukabu and we still have Duffner who will have his input. I'm not worried. The LB position in Detroit has been extinct for many years much like Cincinnati. I wouldn't judge him too hard for that.

He doesn't have any notable past connections to Zac and people will judge his Miami run due to how it ended but he managed to have a couple of solid seasons when that program was going through the scandal and sanctions. So maybe not the worst hire on the market.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd rather have kept Haslett...

HELL TO THE NO ON THAT!!! HASLETT WAS THE WORST COACH WE HAD IN A LONGTIME!!!

Worse than Tem, at least the LB's improved under Tem all be it slowly. Our LB's just got worse and worse under Haslett.

Even Burfict looked terrible with this guy at LB coach. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 10:04 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I'm not gonna read too much into the hire. Regardless of who the coach is, we need to bring in a legit LB and round this group out with some talent. He has more experience than Lukabu and we still have Duffner who will have his input. I'm not worried. The LB position in Detroit has been extinct for many years much like Cincinnati. I wouldn't judge him too hard for that.

He doesn't have any notable past connections to Zac and people will judge his Miami run due to how it ended but he managed to have a couple of solid seasons when that program was going through the scandal and sanctions. So maybe not the worst hire on the market.

Thank you, a sensible post right here.
Reply/Quote
It's difficult to hire a position coach that hasn't recently been fired.

Cuz, you know, why else are they looking for a job?

Coaches can occasionally take the same position in another organization, but I wouldn't call it common.

So the only way you're not hiring someone who hasn't been fired that season or at least recently is if you take an assistant coach and make him a position coach or you convince a coach to come to your team at the same position.

I don't really see this hiring as an issue. Hopefully, he does well here.

He doesn't have all that much to work with though. It'll be hard to really judge him for a bit.
Reply/Quote