Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New LBs....Which one are you most excited to watch?
Wilson- dude had 10 INTs in his college career he is a playmaker at the LB position. Also Spears might surprise. I don't think Bailey will have the impact because he is coming off an injury and Corna.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Wilson. ADG is going to be a unique toy but is a little more raw and could stand to grow into his frame. Eventually, he could be the dude that chases down RBs and QBs on the perimeter and blows up screens.

I don't think we know how to handle having a well rounded LB. Wilson and Pratt have a great future together, but Wilson is going to be a glue guy. The guy that reads the hot read to force a check down, or gets to the pulling guard quick so a safety or WLB makes the play.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think you meant Spears as the Linebacker from Iowa State SHRacer, that guy is a Guard.

I love Wilson the way he plays, he is solid. But that is the thing, he is just solid. So not as exciting as a guy like Bailey or ADG
who are playmakers. ADG is a bit small so I think he will need to add weight to tackle bigger backs and TE's. If Bailey is healthy
he is who I am most excited about cause he can change games. Watching the tape of him at Purdue you would think he would 
be a top Draft pick, with the injury you understand him falling but not all the way to the 7th.

Think Markus Bailey could be our biggest steal in a long time if he can stay healthy.

In the end I am excited to see all of them, Wilson was just a great pick that should solidify our LB core for years to come. He is
disciplined, instinctive, a great tackler and can cover. Rare all around solid Linebacker. But Bailey could be the steal.

Haha, yep.  Sorry, Nate.  Couldn't remember his name and googled.  When I saw "Iowa State FA signed by Bengals...".  I guess we signed two.  It is Spears.  

When I made this thread I was originally thinking people could say Wilson, ADG, Bailey, and some freak (usually me) would say Spears, the FA that no one else knows.  That is a serious infusion of talent and speed at the LB position. We seem to never talk about Pratt, who made significant improvements and contributions as a rookie.  Especially after they released Brown.  Think about it:  Pratt looked good at LB down the stretch with Vigil and Williams as his other LBs.  

I can't help but think how much better the offensive line will be with Williams.  How much better the WR group is with AJ Green.  How much better the defensive line will be with Reader.  There is a lot to like about this team right now, and the LB corps is one of the most exciting position groups right now.  Can't believe I said that about the Bengals  Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 11:55 PM)J24 Wrote: Wilson- dude had 10 INTs in his college career he is a playmaker at the LB position. Also Spears might surprise. I don't think Bailey will have the impact because he is coming off an injury and Corna.

Makes a ton of sense.  And I love that Wilson was not only a converted safety, but even played WR early in his career.  Guys that seem to have a good understanding of all the position groups tend to be near the ball.  

Bailey likely slid to the 7th due to the 'Rona....as did a lot of injured players.  Couldn't allow medical personnel to evaluate very well.  I just really like the guy's intelligence and think he will show up in great shape and will fight like mad to get on the field.  Love that he is another Ohio guy as well, even though that makes absolutely no difference on game day....I still like it. 
Reply/Quote
It’s a toss up. But I’m most excited to watch ADG because he seems like a Swiss Army knife who will make some splash plays. Wilson I’m excited about too but he just seems like a no nonsense lunch pail guy who is going to be reliable but he could end up leading the team in tackles.
Reply/Quote
All of the above.

Trivia questions.

#1 How many All Pro LBs have the Bengals ever had?

#2 Everyone should know that Burfict went to a Pro Bowl. Before him, who was the last Bengal LB to make a Pro Bowl?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Logan Wilson. I think he takes control and becomes the brains of the defense quicker then most will expect.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 09:08 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Curious to see how Wilson will do at the NFL level.Spent a high round pick on the guy, hope he works out.I thought,,,was hoping,They would take Josh Jones with that pick but hopefully Wilson will be worth it.

I have heard a lot of this "at this level" with respect to Wilson. And I am not attacking you, as it is a very logical question.  The leap from college to pro is huge, and then you factor in that he was in Mountain West conference.  That smaller school division level of competition scared a lot of people with respect to Wilson.

I just wanted to remind everyone that the highest PFF ranking for a rookie LB with over half of his team's snaps (going back roughly 5 years) wasn't Devin Bush, Devon White, or Darius Leanard.  It was Boise State's Leighton Vander Esch, with an outstanding overall rating of 84.4.  

One of his greatest strengths is pass defense. 

While Logan Wilson was .02 seconds faster in the 40 at the combine, Vander Esch jumped 7.5" higher, with an astounding 39.5.  Vander Esch edged him in the long jump 121.0 vs. 124.0 as well as the 3-cone (6.88 vs. 7.07) and the 20 yard shuttle (4.15 vs. 4.27).  Vander Esch is also 2" taller and weighs 15 lbs more.  

Just an interesting comparison.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 04:01 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: All of the above.

Trivia questions.

#1 How many All Pro LBs have the Bengals ever had?

#2 Everyone should know that Burfict went to a Pro Bowl. Before him, who was the last Bengal LB to make a Pro Bowl?

I know Spikes never went to a Pro Bowl with the Bengals even though he was a Pro bowl quality player.  Before him I guess you have to go all the way back to the 70's or early 80's.  Reggie Williams had some very good seasons for us, but I don't know if he ever went to a Pro Bowl.

I know Bill Bergy did, but that would have been in the early 70's.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know Spikes never went to a Pro Bowl with the Bengals even though he was a Pro bowl quality player.  Before him I guess you have to go all the way back to the 70's or early 80's.  Reggie Williams had some very good seasons for us, but I don't know if he ever went to a Pro Bowl.

James Francis had some solid seasons but I don't think he made any pro bowls ?
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know Spikes never went to a Pro Bowl with the Bengals even though he was a Pro bowl quality player.  Before him I guess you have to go all the way back to the 70's or early 80's.  Reggie Williams had some very good seasons for us, but I don't know if he ever went to a Pro Bowl.

Agreed about Spikes. Bergy actually went in 1969. There's one between Bergy and Burfict. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 11:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: James Francis had some solid seasons but I don't think he made any pro bowls ?

True, and that's a damn shame. Francis was hella-good.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 01:26 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: True, and that's a damn shame. Francis was hella-good.

Is it LeClaire?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 02:07 PM)jason Wrote: Is it LeClaire?

It is.

Rep to you.

I knew LeClaire was a solid player for many years, but I did nopt think he went to a Pro Bowl

I also never relaized that Reggie Williams had 9 sacks one season until I looked to see if he ever made a Pro Bowl.  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 08:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Makes a ton of sense.  And I love that Wilson was not only a converted safety, but even played WR early in his career.  Guys that seem to have a good understanding of all the position groups tend to be near the ball.  

Bailey likely slid to the 7th due to the 'Rona....as did a lot of injured players.  Couldn't allow medical personnel to evaluate very well.  I just really like the guy's intelligence and think he will show up in great shape and will fight like mad to get on the field.  Love that he is another Ohio guy as well, even though that makes absolutely no difference on game day....I still like it. 
I think Bailey could be good but they will take it slow and but him on PUP to start the year 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 08:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Haha, yep.  Sorry, Nate.  Couldn't remember his name and googled.  When I saw "Iowa State FA signed by Bengals...".  I guess we signed two.  It is Spears.  

When I made this thread I was originally thinking people could say Wilson, ADG, Bailey, and some freak (usually me) would say Spears, the FA that no one else knows.  That is a serious infusion of talent and speed at the LB position. We seem to never talk about Pratt, who made significant improvements and contributions as a rookie.  Especially after they released Brown.  Think about it:  Pratt looked good at LB down the stretch with Vigil and Williams as his other LBs.  

I can't help but think how much better the offensive line will be with Williams.  How much better the WR group is with AJ Green.  How much better the defensive line will be with Reader.  There is a lot to like about this team right now, and the LB corps is one of the most exciting position groups right now.  Can't believe I said that about the Bengals  Hilarious

I get it, undrafted players are sometimes tough to know about. I did watch Spears last year and he stood out in a good way.

Germaine Pratt is the underrated player right now IMO.

This guy is a player. Pratt deserves his own thread. He is a leader too, just like all the players we brought in this Offseason.
Reply/Quote
Logan Wilson will be interesting to watch, as he was a guy they considered at at the top of the 2nd. It will be interesting not just because of his play and LB being a weak spot, but will also give us an indicator on if their talent evaluation at that position has improved.

Marcus Bailey is a guy I really like if he can stay healthy. He might wind up being the best of the three. His Ohio State tape from 2018 was outstanding, not just from a flashy play standpoint, but from an assignment standpoint. He played with great discipline and didn't just abandon his responsibilities to make individual plays. Guys like that are what you need in the playoffs and those big rivalry games.
Reply/Quote
Bailey is an interesting one for sure. Some guys have two ACLs and come back like nothing ever happened. Many more never come back the same. As many have said, If he stays healthy, he could be a great pickup.

ADG’s story is an interesting one. Coaches son, seems to have always been a bit of an underdog. I like his skill set and it’s good to finally have a player of his type on the roster.

Wilson looks the safest out of the draft, but it’s much harder tackling NFL rbs than it is guys in the WAC. Regardless, he has a knack for the ball and if that translates over he is going to be a good one.

The nice thing is that they all seem to have that cerebral trait. No brain dead Jefferson’s in the bunch...
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2020, 02:07 PM)jason Wrote: Is it LeClaire?

Yep. It's been a long time between drinks. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2020, 12:02 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Yep. It's been a long time between drinks. 

And, BTW, we've never had an All-Pro LB. 
Reply/Quote