Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New? Mechanics
Dalton has been throwing better than I recall him doing so in previous years while scrambling away from pressure. He extended a few plays and was able to find people down field and deliver nice accurate passes. Is this a product of the new qb coach? Rodgers is one, if not the best at doing this exact thing. And we brought in his former QB coach. Is it WRs doing better at improvising while the pocket breaks down?

Either way it's something that I've always wanted him to improve at instead of throwing the ball away too early and missing opportunities.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:25 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Dalton has been throwing better than I recall him doing so in previous years while scrambling away from pressure. He extended a few plays and was able to find people down field and deliver nice accurate passes. Is this a product of the new qb coach? Rodgers is one, if not the best at doing this exact thing. And we brought in his former QB coach. Is it WRs doing better at improvising while the pocket breaks down?

Either way it's something that I've always wanted him to improve at instead of throwing the ball away too early and missing opportunities.

Yes, Andy Dalton has way better mechanics and his ability to throw on the run has always been good — but now he’s among the best at it. To answer your specific question, yes, the receivers downfield are improvising new routes when the pocket breaks down. This is a new feature from Bill Lazor.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:25 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Dalton has been throwing better than I recall him doing so in previous years while scrambling away from pressure. He extended a few plays and was able to find people down field and deliver nice accurate passes. Is this a product of the new qb coach? Rodgers is one, if not the best at doing this exact thing. And we brought in his former QB coach. Is it WRs doing better at improvising while the pocket breaks down?

(09-25-2018, 09:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, Andy Dalton has way better mechanics and his ability to throw on the run has always been good — but now he’s among the best at it.  To answer your specific question, yes, the receivers downfield are improvising new routes when the pocket breaks down.  This is a new feature from Bill Lazor.

It's a little of all of the above, plus the added bonus of better line play/scheming around its weaknesses.  To me, it looks like 2015 Andy Dalton, and the WRs are SO MUCH better at the scramble drill under Lazor.  We're seeing just how much coaching affects play in this league.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:51 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: It's a little of all of the above, plus the added bonus of better line play/scheming around its weaknesses.  To me, it looks like 2015 Andy Dalton, and the WRs are SO MUCH better at the scramble drill under Lazor.  We're seeing just how much coaching affects play in this league.

It used to drive me bonkers: Whenever the Steelers’ pocket collapsed, Big Ben started moving all around and he nearly always found an open receiver and I always marveled how and why — then I saw an All22 video of one of Pittsburgh’s “broken” plays. As soon as Ben started scrambling, the receivers immediately abandoned their routes and began running zigzag patterns across the field and one of them inevitably got open. That’s why the Steelers could gain fifty yards on a broken play.

“Why can’t we do that?” I always wondered. Now we can.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:57 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It used to drive me bonkers:  Whenever the Steelers’ pocket collapsed, Big Ben started moving all around and he nearly always found an open receiver and I always marveled how and why — then I saw an All22 video of one of Pittsburgh’s “broken” plays.  As soon as Ben started scrambling, the receivers immediately abandoned their routes and began running zigzag patterns across the field and one of them inevitably got open.  That’s why the Steelers could gain fifty yards on a broken play.

“Why can’t we do that?” I always wondered.  Now we can.

Yes sir.....you see it all over the league, now we're finally seeing it here.  Boyd has done exceptionally well in this department.  Zampese couldn't coach a game of Tecmo Bowl.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 10:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes sir.....you see it all over the league, now we're finally seeing it here.  Boyd has done exceptionally well in this department.  Zampese couldn't coach a game of Tecmo Bowl.

To be fair, Tecmo Bowl had more offensive plays than Zampese's playbook. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Mechanics?

Are you claiming Dalton has a bionic arm?
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 09:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: It's a little of all of the above, plus the added bonus of better line play/scheming around its weaknesses.  To me, it looks like 2015 Andy Dalton, and the WRs are SO MUCH better at the scramble drill under Lazor.  We're seeing just how much coaching affects play in this league.

Yup,

The players are the ones on the field making it happen, or not, that's never gonna change. But the majority of teams, there's always exceptions at either end, but most aren't that far apart player skill wise.

Coaching gets the cream of all the middle teams to rise to the top !

Dalton seems to have taken a giant step forward for several reasons, coaching among them I'm sure.
Reply/Quote
Those two years Dalton worked with House before those seasons started, Dalton played very well but as the seasons went on and whoever was QB coach then was messing with Dalton, you could see how he would get worse and worse. 2015 being the exception, until Dalton broke his thumb and the season tanked, Dalton would work on his throwing, stance and whatever else in the off season would be destroyed by the time week 10 came around and by the time Playoff time hit, he was completely messed up.

By the way, wasn't Zampese his QB coach the years Dalton worked with House those off seasons?

My opinion of course and that's the way it looked to me.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 05:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Those two years Dalton worked with House before those seasons started, Dalton played very well but as the seasons went on and whoever was QB coach then was messing with Dalton, you could see how he would get worse and worse. 2015 being the exception, until Dalton broke his thumb and the season tanked, Dalton would work on his throwing, stance and whatever else in the off season would be destroyed by the time week 10 came around and by the time Playoff time hit, he was completely messed up.

By the way, wasn't Zampese his QB coach the years Dalton worked with House those off seasons?

My opinion of course and that's the way it looked to me.

This just is not true at all and I can post the numbers to prove it.  Dalton has no track record of starting off hot then getting worse. He runs hot and cold both at the beginning of seasons and at the end. The only people who make this claim are the people who never liked Zampese to begin with.
Reply/Quote