Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
New Mexico governor deliberately violates Constitution
I was really hoping someone else would post this. I'm known as the 2A guy here and my bringing this up will trigger some predictable responses. That said, this is far to egregious an action to not discuss here.

https://apnews.com/article/albuquerque-guns-governor-concealed-carry-firearms-reject-ec5e8d57abc15687dd1b39d8cc197d96

Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has banned all carrying of firearms in Albuquerque in response to recent shootings by criminals. In so doing she deliberately acknowledges that she is violating the Constitution and states n amendment is "absolute" nor is her oath to the Constitution.

EDIT: Start the video at 1:09 for the relevant bit, for some reason time stamps won't embed here.

Thankfully people who aren't rampant authoritarians such as local law enforcement and the DA's office have flat out said they will not enforce this ban, calling it blatantly unconstitutional. Even far left anti-gunners Ted Lieu and David Hogg are on record saying this is a blatantly unconstitutional action.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/liberals-turn-new-mexico-governor-gun-suspension-violates-us-constitution

"I support gun safety laws. However, this order from the Governor of New Mexico violates the U.S. Constitution. No state in the union can suspend the federal Constitution. There is no such thing as a state public health emergency exception to the U.S. Constitution," California Democratic Rep. Ted Lieu tweeted.

So, let's put our money where our mouth is. The governor flat out admitted she was intentionally violating the Constitution, because she has that power. She should not only be ousted from office but any applicable criminal charges should be filed as well. We hear a lot about protecting our democracy here. This is a clear threat to our system of government and our rights. I'm sure we're all in agreement, yes?
Reply/Quote
Should be removed from office.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I saw this last night. This is not what we need right now. Hopefully some Dems speak up. It would be wise if they did. Shut this shit down now. And I'm an admitted bona-fide liberal. Our leaders on both sides are so stupid and divisive. I include Trump and his.....well....whoever else he hasn't thrown under the bus lol
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I was really hoping someone else would post this.  I'm known as the 2A guy here and my bringing this up will trigger some predictable responses.  That said, this is far to egregious an action to not discuss here.  

https://apnews.com/article/albuquerque-guns-governor-concealed-carry-firearms-reject-ec5e8d57abc15687dd1b39d8cc197d96

Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has banned all carrying of firearms in Albuquerque in response to recent shootings by criminals.  In so doing she deliberately acknowledges that she is violating the Constitution and states n amendment is "absolute" nor is her oath to the Constitution.

EDIT:  Start the video at 1:09 for the relevant bit, for some reason time stamps won't embed here.

Thankfully people who aren't rampant authoritarians such as local law enforcement and the DA's office have flat out said they will not enforce this ban, calling it blatantly unconstitutional.  Even far left anti-gunners Ted Lieu and David Hogg are on record saying this is a blatantly unconstitutional action.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/liberals-turn-new-mexico-governor-gun-suspension-violates-us-constitution

"I support gun safety laws. However, this order from the Governor of New Mexico violates the U.S. Constitution. No state in the union can suspend the federal Constitution. There is no such thing as a state public health emergency exception to the U.S. Constitution," California Democratic Rep. Ted Lieu tweeted.

So, let's put our money where our mouth is.  The governor flat out admitted she was intentionally violating the Constitution, because she has that power.  She should not only be ousted from office but any applicable criminal charges should be filed as well.  We hear a lot about protecting our democracy here.  This is a clear threat to our system of government and our rights.  I'm sure we're all in agreement, yes?

I brought it up in a different thread a few days ago.  lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:06 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I brought it up in a different thread.  lol.

It was brought up in another thread that I directly responded to as well.  But I think this is important, and egregious, enough to warrant its own thread.
Reply/Quote
That clearly warrants impeachment, and I'm the opposite of a 2A guy. But ignoring laws and the constitution over thinking to know better is inacceptable.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It was brought up in another thread that I directly responded to as well.  But I think this is important, and egregious, enough to warrant its own thread.

I totally agree.  You responded to me.

And I will go so far as to say the 2A is in place because of politicians such as this.  I am not advocating for violence.  I am simply pointing out that the 2A is so that the citizens have a way to fight back against a tyrannical govt.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: That clearly warrants impeachment, and I'm the opposite of a 2A guy. But ignoring laws and the constitution over thinking to know better is inacceptable.

(09-12-2023, 02:17 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I totally agree.  You responded to me.

And I will go so far as to say the 2A is in place because of politicians such as this.  I am not advocating for violence.  I am simply pointing out that the 2A is so that the citizens have a way to fight back against a tyrannical govt.

Reasonable responses I'd expect from reasonable people.  Also, Hollo I have to say I respect your ability to compartmentalize the norms from your own nation and what is guaranteed here.  I've said many times, I get why some people don't like guns, or oppose owning them.  I'd never be in favor of mandating their ownership.  I absolutely respect the intent of the Framers and their desire to completely buck the trend of governments prohibiting an armed citizenry.  

I'd really like to see some responses by the more left leaning (yes I realize Hollo is left leaning) posters on this subject.  This is an abuse of power by a governor on a level not seen in my memory.  If anyone can think of a more blatant abuse please let me know.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Reasonable responses I'd expect from reasonable people.  Also, Hollo I have to say I respect your ability to compartmentalize the norms from your own nation and what is guaranteed here.  I've said many times, I get why some people don't like guns, or oppose owning them.  I'd never be in favor of mandating their ownership.  I absolutely respect the intent of the Framers and their desire to completely buck the trend of governments prohibiting an armed citizenry.  

I'd really like to see some responses by the more left leaning (yes I realize Hollo is left leaning) posters on this subject.  This is an abuse of power by a governor on a level not seen in my memory.  If anyone can think of a more blatant abuse please let me know.

I have to agree, Hollo is one of the most respectful, level-headed people on here who has the ability to see things from both sides and debates/converses honestly and politely.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:24 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I have to agree, Hollo is one of the most respectful, level-headed people on here who has the ability to see things from both sides and debates/converses honestly and politely.

I believe so. 
Reply/Quote
This is not just any Democratic governor. She was in the running for Biden VP choice. She is also the head of the Democratic governor's association.

This will not play well in 2024, not just in New Mexico, but across every city, county and state in the US.

If they don't impeach her, I think it is a political football in 2024.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Literally all they have to do to is stay out of their own way and let the Republicans implode themselves out of another election in a year.

Instead you go full fascism.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 04:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Literally all they have to do to is stay out of their own way and let the Republicans implode themselves out of another election in a year.

Instead you go full fascism.

The left has been pushing for fascism for years without knowing it. 

For the record, I don't think most of the left is going to care at all about this. 

This is another example of Trump saying things people made fun of him for, that actually ended up happening. There's a video Joe Rogan showed where Trump made seemingly outlandish claims about what Biden would do, Biden mocked Trump for it saying it wouldn't happen, and something like 9 out of 10 of the things he said ended up happening. I wish I could find it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 07:27 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: The left has been pushing for fascism for years without knowing it. 

For the record, I don't think most of the left is going to care at all about this. 

This is another example of Trump saying things people made fun of him for, that actually ended up happening. There's a video Joe Rogan showed where Trump made seemingly outlandish claims about what Biden would do, Biden mocked Trump for it saying it wouldn't happen, and something like 9 out of 10 of the things he said ended up happening. I wish I could find it.

The real problem is the media only wants to be up the arse of republicans. Bubba Clinton was banging a steady stream of women, helping Roger fly coke by the truckload into Mena, and God knows what else. Asa made about a dozen trips to China, sometimes with his very own Hunter, his son, and elsewhere around the world. Jim Guy Tucker was a crook and a cretin, and both Dale Bumpers and David Pryor were too. Was the media up their arse about what all they were doing? No! And we both know why.

Remember this: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

There will always be evil leftists attempting to sow chaos and decay. What is allowing them to succeed is the number of Americans now who refuse to engage in political thought or discourse. This is deliberate, of course. With the infiltration of the educational system by the left it is obvious that leaving citizens extremely ignorant about civics and economics has been a deliberate strategy.

But not having a foundation in basic understanding of how these disciplines work, along with the also deliberate undermining of traditional Judeo-Christian values, has produced an electorate that is unfit to choose leaders.

I think most here—who engage in politics to a degree that is orders of magnitude greater than the average citizen—would be shocked, appalled, and very frightened if they knew just how little the average voter understands about the elections they are voting in, the policies held by the candidates, and the likely implications of those policies. It's what allows the insanity to prevail.
Reply/Quote
And the crowd goes silent (form liberal posters on this forum)

So I saw this last week and I thought maybe it was a sensationalized headline by conservative media....I guess it wasn't lol.

It's another instance of treating the symptom and not the problem. Rather than focus on the individuals that are responsible for these criminal acts, she's targeting the devices used to conduct them.

I think it's crazy this level of ignorance exists in politics
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd really like to see some responses by the more left leaning (yes I realize Hollo is left leaning) posters on this subject.  This is an abuse of power by a governor on a level not seen in my memory.  If anyone can think of a more blatant abuse please let me know.

SE conservative states do performative nonsense that gets struck down by federal courts all the time, often on constitutional grounds. Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri just to name a few. Policies that violate the separation of church and state are in direct opposition to the first amendment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2023/05/22/texas-bills-threatens-the-constitutional-separation-of-church-and-state/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/21/church-alabama-gov-police-force-law/1525124001/

https://prospect.org/health/critics-mississippi-s-religious-freedom-law-violates-constitution/

Some examples above found through google. Violation of the separation of church and state is expressly violation of the first amendment and has been under attack from elected religious fundamentalists for a long time. 

Also as an aside, I'd argue the modern conservative movement itself in the USA is by it's very spirit aligned against the 9th amendment.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 05:37 AM)treee Wrote: SE conservative states do performative nonsense that gets struck down by federal courts all the time, often on constitutional grounds. Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri just to name a few. Policies that violate the separation of church and state are in direct opposition to the first amendment.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2023/05/22/texas-bills-threatens-the-constitutional-separation-of-church-and-state/%3foutputType=amp
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/21/church-alabama-gov-police-force-law/1525124001/
https://prospect.org/health/critics-mississippi-s-religious-freedom-law-violates-constitution/
Some examples above found through google. Violation of the separation of church and state is expressly violation of the first amendment and has been under attack from elected religious fundamentalists for a long time. 
Also as an aside, I'd argue the modern conservative movement itself in the USA is by it's very spirit aligned against the 9th amendment.

Yeah, "Krystal," the woman in the OP video, also mentions calling out the US military during the Floyd riots too. Then of course there was the 1/6 conspiracy. That wasn't "performative nonsense" but, it seems to me, an actual, authoritarian and anti-constitutional power grab of the sort which the 2A is often invoked to safeguard against. That power grab resulted in an impeachment charge--which the Senate could not follow through.

Seems like the NM governor is responding to a segment of her constituency that wants something--anything--done about gun violence. 

The governor's rationale, so far as I grasp it, has got me wondering about how "states of emergency" are to be handled by state and federal government, if the Constitution and especially the Bill of Rights can never ever be suspended by anyone under any circumstances.  (For the record, I don't think the shootings which prompted her TEMPORARY ban on carrying firearms constituted a state of emergency.)

I can envision situations in which, in the interest of public safety, temporarily banning the carrying of firearms--especially open carry--would be a good thing, starting with violent riots. Constitutional rights can and have been suspended in the case of public health emergencies, and I believe under the "plenary police power" left to states. But the Constitution leaves "emergency powers" and the like more directly in the hands of the legislative rather than the executive branch. Now I wonder if and how that can be done in emergencies, if never ever is really a Constitutional principle. Now is the time I most miss input from Bpat and Bels. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 07:27 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: The left has been pushing for fascism for years without knowing it. 

I wish you could too. Trump is maybe not the best springboard for launching an attack on the dangers of leftist "fascism." 
And that's because of something that actually ended up happening.

Why do you think "the left" has been pushing for "fascism"? 

Have they been arguing that the state is the destiny of its people, 
and that the nation requires a leader above the law, to whom the military and government officials should 
demonstrate personal loyalty?  Without knowing it?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 11:52 PM)Bengalion Wrote: There will always be evil leftists attempting to sow chaos and decay. What is allowing them to succeed is the number of Americans now who refuse to engage in political thought or discourse. This is deliberate, of course. With the infiltration of the educational system by the left it is obvious that leaving citizens extremely ignorant about civics and economics has been a deliberate strategy.

But not having a foundation in basic understanding of how these disciplines work, along with the also deliberate undermining of traditional Judeo-Christian values, has produced an electorate that is unfit to choose leaders.

I think most here—who engage in politics to a degree that is orders of magnitude greater than the average citizen—would be shocked, appalled, and very frightened if they knew just how little the average voter understands about the elections they are voting in, the policies held by the candidates, and the likely implications of those policies. It's what allows the insanity to prevail.

You've got me wondering about a lot of this. Who is in charge of "the left's" infiltration of the educational system? 
How and from where are they directing it? Are there names and organizations we should know about? 

Also, how are people unschooled in "civics and economics" helpful to "the left"?  You imply this is an outcome they desire.

Would the problem you see here be addressed to some degree if Judeo-Christian values were somehow more prominently
integrated with public education?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 05:37 AM)treee Wrote: SE conservative states do performative nonsense that gets struck down by federal courts all the time, often on constitutional grounds. Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri just to name a few. Policies that violate the separation of church and state are in direct opposition to the first amendment.

Whatabout isn't really a good response to this topic.  Even allowing for your premise, can you find me an example of a GOP governor not only acknowledging that what they were doing was unconstitutional but that they had the authority to violate their oath f office.  If you can find one please post it, but I can't recall that happening.
Reply/Quote