Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL Rules BENGALS FANS Need To Know
(08-02-2017, 03:07 AM)kevin Wrote: No more Refs under the hood ....Instant Replay will be decided by NFL Command Center in New York City....So much like baseball, Refs will listen in on a head set to hear what NFL Command Center decides.  The Refs on Field have NO VOICE in it...SO, Fans throwing things at Refs on field would be stupid since the Instant Replay is coming from NFL Headquarters.  Coaches and Players yelling at Refs over Instant Replay would be Stupid as now in baseball with the call coming from League Headquarters.

Stronger penalties for illegal violent hits NFL is trying to eliminate.  Violating player Ejected From Game and Suspended Next Game.  NFL Fans will have to get use to it, because NFL Refs intend to enforce this early and often in 2017 to let players know cheap hits will not be tolerated.

NFL Overtime is now 10 Minutes, not 15 Minutes. ...It is still TD wins, but a Field Goal gives other team one chance to score.

NFL is not going to be as hard on scoring celebrations.  Unless there is taunting of other team, the NFL has decided scoring celebrations should not be penalties.  So look for less and less after score penalty applied to kick off.  Look for more End Zone dances and celebrations. NFL tired of being called the NO FUN LEAGUE.

Leaping over line to block a field goal or extra point is now Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty.  NFL trying to avoid injuries of this play.

and one I think is huge....Multiple Fouls On Same Play...Sometimes defenses in 2 minute drills have held several receivers taking the 5 yard penalty as time goes off the clock...NO MORE....now it is a 15 yard penalty and play clock goes back to the time before ball was snapped. ....49ers held Drew Brees receivers late in a game...NO MORE....Defenses WILL get hit with 15 yard penalty and QB gets back all of the play clock of the play as clock reset....THIS IS HUGE for GOOD 2 Minute Drill Quarterbacks....Defenses can no longer run out the clock with 5 yard holding penalties. That is over...A good example might be team near end zone throwing for a TD, and before Defense holds pass catchers, 5 yard penalty but time runs out game over....NOT ANY MORE....Now the clock would be reset plus 15 yard penalty or half the distance to goal.....Look for this change to take fans and teams by surprise thinking a game is over and D held, and Refs says Game Is Not Over......So Defenses holding several receivers and only getting a 5 yard penalty and TV Announcers saying that was a SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. Well, IT IS NO LONGER A SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. ...and lets face it, Dalton drops back and some teams hold 2 or more receivers.  THAT is now a 15 yard penalty and clock reset, time put back on clock for Dalton.  Defenses can no longer hold and hold and hold because it is 15 yards, not 5 yards. plus clock reset.

But the important question is...if a receiver is held, will it be a 5 or 15 yard penalty, and will the clock be reset?

Ninja

Big Grin

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
"Leaping over line to block a field goal or extra point is now Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty. NFL trying to avoid injuries of this play. "

I'll miss this^ It actually added a bit of drama. And as far as i know nobody ever got hurt from it.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 04:00 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: "Leaping over line to block a field goal or extra point is now Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty. NFL trying to avoid injuries of this play. "

I'll miss this^ It actually added a bit of drama. And as far as i know nobody ever got hurt from it.

This was definitely my biggest complaint about the rule change. It actually made a field goal an exciting play to watch.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:03 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I like all the rule changes this year, with perhaps the exception of shortening the OT quarter.

There will be more ties.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 07:11 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: There will be more ties.

There should never be a tie. They need to go the route of college ball. But in stead of starting at the 25yd line start the either at the 40 or midfield. That way teams have to gain at least a few yds before a FG try.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:07 AM)kevin Wrote: and one I think is huge....Multiple Fouls On Same Play...Sometimes defenses in 2 minute drills have held several receivers taking the 5 yard penalty as time goes off the clock...NO MORE....now it is a 15 yard penalty and play clock goes back to the time before ball was snapped. ....49ers held Drew Brees receivers late in a game...NO MORE....Defenses WILL get hit with 15 yard penalty and QB gets back all of the play clock of the play as clock reset....THIS IS HUGE for GOOD 2 Minute Drill Quarterbacks....Defenses can no longer run out the clock with 5 yard holding penalties. That is over...A good example might be team near end zone throwing for a TD, and before Defense holds pass catchers, 5 yard penalty but time runs out game over....NOT ANY MORE....Now the clock would be reset plus 15 yard penalty or half the distance to goal.....Look for this change to take fans and teams by surprise thinking a game is over and D held, and Refs says Game Is Not Over......So Defenses holding several receivers and only getting a 5 yard penalty and TV Announcers saying that was a SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. Well, IT IS NO LONGER A SMART DEFENSIVE PLAY. ...and lets face it, Dalton drops back and some teams hold 2 or more receivers.  THAT is now a 15 yard penalty and clock reset, time put back on clock for Dalton.  Defenses can no longer hold and hold and hold because it is 15 yards, not 5 yards. plus clock reset.

This was a direct result of the Ravens against the Bengals.  If I recall correctly, it was special teams.  With the punter deep in the endzone, EVERYONE except the punter held someone so the punter could just stand there with the ball allowing time to run off and preventing us an opportunity to get possession in field goal range.  Someone finally broke free and rushed, but it didn't matter at that point as precious seconds were gone from the clock.   That was the reason the time now goes back on the clock.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 03:26 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: All these rules go into effect immediately except for Steelers, Patriots, Panthers and Cowboys.

Sad but true.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 10:57 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup !!

The other thing both Bengal Fans and V. Burfict need to get used to is he will be under the microscope at all times.

Like the first steeler game (Sorry, Jeremy, but it is vital to the story) last year where there were 14 holding penalties NOT called against pitt and then they flagged Whit for holding?  Assbags.
Reply/Quote
Like the new rules, however, as long as they are enforced across the League!
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 11:33 AM)Big Boss Wrote: So Burfict's getting ejected from at least two games this year.  Good to know.

Will he even playin a second half this year?

Ok with most of this, except maybe the OT rule.  I'm against anything that increase the chances of a game ending in a tie, especially given the penchant this team has for ties.  Ugh.

NHL uses a video review command center in Toronto for all its games and it works just fine.  Of course, they're better at officiating than the NFL anyway, so time will tell how well the NFL adapts.  Gonna miss watching them toddle off to the puppet show, make a quick decision, then stand on he sidelines forever waiting for the network to come out of commercial.  Good times.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 04:00 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: "Leaping over line to block a field goal or extra point is now Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty. NFL trying to avoid injuries of this play. "

I actually hated it for one simple reason:

By rule, the Center could not stand up and block as he was "protected" against anyone hitting him.  It made for a huge advantage for the defensive player.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 10:09 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Love it. Every single one of those rule changes. Absolutely love it.

And as for all the steeler talk, give it a rest folks. Wait until they actually get away with some of this stuff before complaining about it. I hate them and the media/ref bias as much as any of you but this doesn't seem like the time or the thread to talk about it.... It just seems like needless whining.

Oh please.  I'll talk about it if I want to. And "when it happens?" That ship has sailed. Ask Gio Bernard, Kevin Huber, and Keith Rivers if the Steelers have ever gotten away with cheap shots.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:21 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Oh please.  I'll talk about it if I want to. And ask Gio Bernard, Kevin Huber, and Keith Rivers if the Steelers have ever gotten away with cheap shots.

I'm well aware of all the crap the Steelers have done to us over the years, and as you know I'm usually always on the same page as you when ripping apart that organization. But now? In this thread? Why? Seems kinda overkill, don't you think? 

I'm all for ripping into Pittsburgh but doing it for any random reason on any thread just doesn't seem necessary. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:24 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I'm well aware of all the crap the Steelers have done to us over the years, and as you know I'm usually always on the same page as you when ripping apart that organization. But now? In this thread? Why? Seems kinda overkill, don't you think? 

I'm all for ripping into Pittsburgh but doing it for any random reason on any thread just doesn't seem necessary. 

I think the point to people's anger in this thread is the new rules will not be enforced "evenly" across the league. Do you think any zebra will have the balls to enforce the penalty that causes Harrison or any other member of the pitt cheap shot army to be ejected from a game? The answer is simple...No, unless the game is against New England, but even then they won't eject anyone from pitt because the new rule says they have to miss the next game. Just not going to happen and that is why people are pissed, it handicaps 90% of the league and allows a select few teams to just carry on like always.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the point to people's anger in this thread is the new rules will not be enforced "evenly" across the league. Do you think any zebra will have the balls to enforce the penalty that causes Harrison or any other member of the pitt cheap shot army to be ejected from a game? The answer is simple...No, unless the game is against New England, but even then they won't eject anyone from pitt because the new rule says they have to miss the next game. Just not going to happen and that is why people are pissed, it handicaps 90% of the league and allows a select few teams to just carry on like always.

That's exactly it.  It is a totally valid point because these new rules will not be enforced for some teams, especially the Steelers.  Tyey'll go way overboard on Burfict though.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:24 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I'm well aware of all the crap the Steelers have done to us over the years, and as you know I'm usually always on the same page as you when ripping apart that organization. But now? In this thread? Why? Seems kinda overkill, don't you think? 

I am not ripping the Steelers for a "random" reason.  Do you really think anything will change?  The rules weren't enforced against the Steelers then and they won't be now.  But Vontaze Burfict will be penalized way over and above what he should be.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 09:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the point to people's anger in this thread is the new rules will not be enforced "evenly" across the league. Do you think any zebra will have the balls to enforce the penalty that causes Harrison or any other member of the pitt cheap shot army to be ejected from a game? The answer is simple...No, unless the game is against New England, but even then they won't eject anyone from pitt because the new rule says they have to miss the next game. Just not going to happen and that is why people are pissed, it handicaps 90% of the league and allows a select few teams to just carry on like always.

(08-04-2017, 11:29 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I am not ripping the Steelers for a "random" reason.  Do you really think anything will change?  The rules weren't enforced against the Steelers then and they won't be now.  But Vontaze Burfict will be penalized way over and above what he should be.

Let's just wait and see what happens. 

As I've already said I get the frustration. I've been there with all of you several times. But the fact of the matter is, the steelers aren't nearly as favored as we like to believe they are. I've seen other steeler games in addition to when they play us. And they get called for penalties. A lot. They aren't exempt from the rules. So yes, if a cheap shot is taken, I expect that player to be ejected regardless of what team he plays for. Plus Burfict wasn't penalized all that much last year, was he? Nothing he would have been ejected for anyway...  We need to get over that notion that the NFL is trying to rig every season so the steelers win it all. If that were the case they'd have over 12 super bowl rings by now.

Bottom line, no need to go into "well the steelers will get away with it so big deal" when someone posts about rule changes. Save it for if/when it happens during the season. 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 07:23 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: There should never be a tie. They need to go the route of college ball. But in stead of starting at the 25yd line start the either at the 40 or midfield. That way teams have to gain at least a few yds before a FG try.

Absolutely. Ties should be done away with immediately if not sooner. I like your idea there.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 02:30 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Let's just wait and see what happens. 

As I've already said I get the frustration. I've been there with all of you several times. But the fact of the matter is, the steelers aren't nearly as favored as we like to believe they are. I've seen other steeler games in addition to when they play us. And they get called for penalties. A lot. They aren't exempt from the rules. So yes, if a cheap shot is taken, I expect that player to be ejected regardless of what team he plays for. Plus Burfict wasn't penalized all that much last year, was he? Nothing he would have been ejected for anyway...  We need to get over that notion that the NFL is trying to rig every season so the steelers win it all. If that were the case they'd have over 12 super bowl rings by now.

Bottom line, no need to go into "well the steelers will get away with it so big deal" when someone posts about rule changes. Save it for if/when it happens during the season. 

How many times do I need to tell you I can say whatever I want to say within the rules of this forum?   So telling me to "save it" is beyond your authority and not appreciated.  You're wrong about the Steelers not being favored over other teams, and you are quick to jump on it and preach incessantly, so I'm wondering what the hell your motives are.  Why defend the Steelers so much?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 07:23 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: There should never be a tie. They need to go the route of college ball. But in stead of starting at the 25yd line start the either at the 40 or midfield. That way teams have to gain at least a few yds before a FG try.

Absolutely !!!! Start them at midfield so they realistically need 20 yards to have a good chance for a FG. If still tied after 2 possessions, suspend the "first TD wins" part, start'em at the 25 and need to go for 2 on a TD.
Reply/Quote