Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Joe Mixon Pops
(10-01-2017, 05:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Mixon - The issue isn't our RB's...it's our run blocking.

We need to draft a Center in the 2nd Round next year.

But basically ALL of our backs put up underwhelming stats because of the line.

Obviously not an endorsement of the OL, but Gio still ran 4 times for 16 yards (4 YPC).

He's now averaging 4.9 YPC this year.

Combined with 8 catches for 133 yards (16.6 AVG).

The OL is bad, but Gio is still having a good year. I think Hill is who he is, and Mixon just isn't that great. Like a guy who looks much better than he is. It's time to up Gio's touches. He's only averaging a little under 7 touches a game, but is turning those 7 touches into 56 yards a game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And I started him on Fanduel today, thinking this was going to be his breakout day.

Oh well, was just a $2 contest, anyway..

And if you hadn't picked the same QB as me, i might have a shot at that money too!!! Tongue

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 05:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Mixon - The issue isn't our RB's...it's our run blocking.

We need to draft a Center in the 2nd Round next year.

But basically ALL of our backs put up underwhelming stats because of the line.

And it would be nice if they'd TRY AN I FORMATION ONCE IN A WHILE, instead of 95% RPO's with him...

ugh

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It's not the running backs that are the problem it's the o line.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 05:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: More like Joe Mixon pops everyone's bubble by rushing 17 times for 29 yards. That's 1.7 YPC, folks.

That drop's his season YPC from 3.1 to 2.6... ouch.

Hunt, Cook, Kamara, are all tearing up the league....Mixon hasn't yet.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hunt, Cook, Kamara, are all tearing up the league....Mixon hasn't yet.

He's probably never ran behind a bad offensive line in his career and has no clue how to. As I've said...hopefully this doesn't ruin his instincts.

At this point, Bernard is probably a better choice for carries as he's used to this and could probably average somewhere around 4 ypc.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gio is averaging about 5 YPC

That's a great point.

The line is bad...but Mixon is underperforming too.
Reply/Quote
It is very frustrating watching the Oline on running plays.
And passing plays.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:46 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hunt, Cook, Kamara, are all tearing up the league....Mixon hasn't yet.

Unfortunately, it looks as though Cook may be out a while.  That said, he's the guy I wanted, because he had been very good behind a suspect o line at FSU.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 03:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Unfortunately, it looks as though Cook may be out a while.  That said, he's the guy I wanted, because he had been very good behind a suspect o line at FSU.

Was that a bad foreshadow?  "Tearing" up the league?  I need to be careful how I phrase things.

BTW, Pig Ben has been getting killed....for his average play this year.   Ninja
Reply/Quote

I have haven't watched Cook or Kamara but Hunt is regularly having runs where he isn't touched until 5 yards down the field. The dude is obviously a playmaker but if you switch him and mixon I bet their results are pretty much the same. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 03:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Unfortunately, it looks as though Cook may be out a while.  That said, he's the guy I wanted, because he had been very good behind a suspect o line at FSU.

I wanted Cook too.

Really all RB's drafted during the 1st 2 Rounds are going to look freakishly talented. Hopefully Mixon's issue is the offensive line. The thing is that Bernard has a healthy ypc running behind that line.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 08:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wanted Cook too.

Really all RB's drafted during the 1st 2 Rounds are going to look freakishly talented. Hopefully Mixon's issue is the offensive line. The thing is that Bernard has a healthy ypc running behind that line.

Cooks off field "friends" scared me off but oh well we have what we have

I think Joe will be just fine.........once we get an o-line
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 08:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wanted Cook too.

He had a big 25 yard run it makes his stats look better than they are. Also Mixion is getting hit as soon as he touches the ball not sure what he can  do about that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 08:21 PM)corpjet Wrote: Cooks off field "friends" scared me off but oh well we have what we have

I think Joe will be just fine.........once we get an o-line

To be honest, they did me too.....and I've watched him since his first snap in Tallahassee.  All reports out of Minny say that he showed up ready to get to work, and has been very professional.  I guess his first offseason will tell the tale.

Reply/Quote
The thing I like about Mixon is his patience. Honestly, he really should have more negative yards. There have been more than a few times where he'll run to where the hole is supposed to be, hit an offensive lineman, wait than go elsewhere. A lot of times, this leads to him just getting back to the line of scrimmage and others he's managed to get some positive yards.

I think if you take those plays where he manages to make a run for a loss into a run for 0 yards into consideration, I think you might be a little bit more impressed with his play.

That said, Gio should really be our featured back until the OL is either fixed or starts opening up holes in the running game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 11:28 AM)PhilHos Wrote: The thing I like about Mixon is his patience. Honestly, he really should have more negative yards. There have been more than a few times where he'll run to where the hole is supposed to be, hit an offensive lineman, wait than go elsewhere. A lot of times, this leads to him just getting back to the line of scrimmage and others he's managed to get some positive yards.

I think if you take those plays where he manages to make a run for a loss into a run for 0 yards into consideration, I think you might be a little bit more impressed with his play.

That said, Gio should really be our featured back until the OL is either fixed or starts opening up holes in the running game.

I think his patience works against him with this line because the holes close quick.

Bernard who is averaging a much better ypc just takes off and gets through the hole.
Reply/Quote
I don’t know what the percentage of plays are, but I notice a lot of the running plays they have Mixon just standing on the side of Andy then hand it off where he is starting out flat footed as opposed to a more singleback or i-formation style where the RB is behind the QB and can get going downhill.

Have you all noticed this or if this is an issue, but it seems to me if you are starting off flat footed behind a line getting no push then it is much more difficult to pick up speed and make a cut. I noticed when Hunt was in singleback behind the QB during the KC game on Sunday night sometimes the line would get smashed in, but he already had some steam was able to make that jump step cut and go.

Don’t know much about this, but curious what you all think if the style of run plays is hindering the run game especially with the line in the condition it is?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 01:51 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: I don’t know what the percentage of plays are, but I notice a lot of the running plays they have Mixon just standing on the side of Andy then hand it off where he is starting out flat footed as opposed to a more singleback or i-formation style where the RB is behind the QB and can get going downhill.

Have you all noticed this or if this is an issue, but it seems to me if you are starting off flat footed behind a line getting no push then it is much more difficult to pick up speed and make a cut. I noticed when Hunt was in singleback behind the QB during the KC game on Sunday night sometimes the line would get smashed in, but he already had some steam was able to make that jump step cut and go.

Don’t know much about this, but curious what you all think if the style of run plays is hindering the run game especially with the line in the condition it is?

They do the same thing with Hill, who is definitely a downhill style RB.  Yes, it is an issue, but you also have to be able to run out of the shoutgun some, and you need to be able to pass from under center to mask your tendencies.  The problem with the latter is that Blodine is shoved back into the pocket so fast, his man is often in the QBs and/or RBs face before he can get a pass off or hand it off.  C is, and has been, a critical weak link in our offense.  For many reasons.

Reply/Quote
Mixon has probably only played behind good offensive lines that actually opened holes in his football career. He's not used to running behind this line. Bernard is.

We can keep drafting RB's every year...but we should be drafting C's and G's if we want to be able to run the ball.

The Bengals are drafting to treat symptoms...not the actual cause of the malady.
Reply/Quote