Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PnR Setup
The PnR section has a hot subject of late...from it's current state, to what is or isn't allowed, to disciplinary actions. PnR has been discussed among the staff, and members have talked about what they think should happen. The one thing I think everyone can agree on, is that PnR has gotten worse of late. There are a number of reasons for this, most which have already been brought up.

The moderation of a section like PnR is not an easy job. The topics can lead to very heated debates, where extremely strong opinions can often cause very combative discussions. It can also, as we've seen many times, lead to name calling, personal attacks, and the complete derailment of threads. Because of the very nature of the topics and opinions, the lines can become blurred at times, making moderation very difficult.

If this forum is to survive, we need to strike some sort of balance. With that as the goal, a decision has been made on how to proceed with PnR.

A new section will be added to the board that will house the mature content on the board. This will include PnR, the BOTD type things, and perhaps some other stuff as we go along.

This section will not be viewable or accessable by the general public or members with less than 100 posts/100 rep points.
It will require a password, which will simply be ENTER.
Once you've typed the password, you've acknowledged that you understand what the section contains, that you wish to view the content, and you realize it will be very lightly moderated.
In participating in this section, you agree that you understand that the rules will be more relaxed. Only those instances of blatant violations will be handled by the staff and subject to disciplinary action.

Basically, the members who frequent PnR will be directly responsible for it's future. If you want to turn it into a complete craphole that eventually needs to be removed altogether, then so be it. However, I'm hoping that this leads to members truly taking charge of the sub-forum in a way that not only makes it a better place, but also ensures it remains long term.

I know that not everyone will find this idea to be a good one, and that's OK. As I said, it's basically an attempt to let members shape and monitor PnR themselves. What happens next will be determined by how that process turns out.

I will be setting this up soon. I will leave this thread in PnR until then, and will move it to Klotsch afterwards, so that everyone will know what's going on.

Thanks, BJ
Question...am I allowed to ask questions in this thread?

LOL I was going to PM you, but I figure that it may actually be useful if everybody can see the answer since it is sort of a "rules" related question about the new subforum.
(11-02-2015, 03:48 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Question...am I allowed to ask questions in this thread?

LOL I was going to PM you, but I figure that it may actually be useful if everybody can see the answer since it is sort of a "rules" related question about the new subforum.

Yes, you can ask questions.
(11-02-2015, 03:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In participating in this section, you agree that you understand that the rules will be more relaxed. Only those instances of blatant violations will be handled by the staff and subject to disciplinary action.

Okay thanks, here it goes...

An issue that I've brought up (I know many others share a similar viewpoint) is that while saying something racist, sexist, or homophobic may be considered subjective, but "hey, you're an idiot because of x, y, and z" is pretty much straight forward.

You say that blatant violations will be handled, but doesn't that create the same problem that I've outlined with the original PnR forum? Unless you mean that responding to perceived homophobia with somewhat of an attack won't be considered a "blatant violation" in the new forum, I don't see how this is handling things any differently than they're already handled.

Thanks for letting me post this publicly, I believe it's an important thing to tackle right now.
While I think the password and acknowledgment of less stringent rules is a good thing, do we really have to be thrown into Klotsch ?

If it is a situation where you can only set up one password required forum, I understand.

I guess I feel it just diminishes the importance of the P&R forum.

I suppose we should consider it punishment, I guess.
Sad
(11-02-2015, 04:10 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: While I think the password and acknowledgment of less stringent rules is a good thing, do we really have to be thrown into Klotsch ?

If it is a situation where you can only set up one password required forum, I understand.

Sad

Back in the beginning of P&R it was a subforum of Klotsch.
(11-02-2015, 03:54 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Okay thanks, here it goes...

An issue that I've brought up (I know many others share a similar viewpoint) is that while saying something racist, sexist, or homophobic may be considered subjective, but "hey, you're an idiot because of x, y, and z" is pretty much straight forward.

You say that blatant violations will be handled, but doesn't that create the same problem that I've outlined with the original PnR forum? Unless you mean that responding to perceived homophobia with somewhat of an attack won't be considered a "blatant violation" in the new forum, I don't see how this is handling things any differently than they're already handled.

Thanks for letting me post this publicly, I believe it's an important thing to tackle right now.

So basically, what will constitute a 'blatant' violation?

One example would be the use of 'inflammatory' slurs (including images) such as the N word, or any other racial, ethnic or sexual which almost everyone would deem the use of, as purposely derogatory. I hope we can all agree on this.

Outside of that, it would be contingent on the circumstance. Example...someone starts 10 straight threads concerning the same topic. That automatically falls under spamming. Another example...someone does nothing but attack a persons 'personal character'-instead of their positions- for an extended period, which does nothing but interfere with actual conversations. These examples, along with 'slurs', are the most obvious of what will be determined as 'blatant', and could lead to the staff getting involved.

Outside of that, there will be a freedom to express yourselves, and to respond to each other. Again, you guys will actually be 'shaping' what form it takes from this point. It will be what you make of it.
(11-02-2015, 04:10 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: While I think the password and acknowledgment of less stringent rules is a good thing, do we really have to be thrown into Klotsch ?

Sad

It won't be in Klotsch. There will be an entirely new section.
(11-02-2015, 04:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Back in the beginning of P&R it was a subforum of Klotsch.

Thank you for enlightening me.
I didn't recall.

(11-02-2015, 04:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It won't be in Klotsch. There will be an entirely new section.

Thank you.
I know it was whiney, but I'm weird like that.
LOL
(11-02-2015, 04:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: One example would be the use of 'inflammatory' slurs (including images) such as the N word, or any other racial, ethnic or sexual which almost everyone would deem the use of, as purposely derogatory. I hope we can all agree on this.

Outside of that, it would be contingent on the circumstance. Example...someone starts 10 straight threads concerning the same topic. That automatically falls under spamming. Another example...someone does nothing but attack a persons 'personal character'-instead of their positions- for an extended period, which does nothing but interfere with actual conversations. These examples, along with 'slurs', are the most obvious of what will be determined as 'blatant', and could lead to the staff getting involved.

So pretty much, discrimination and whatnot will be tolerated as long as it's not going over the top or using derogatory slurs. Attacks on a person's character will be tolerated as long as there is substance to the thought and not just a spamming barrage of attacks.

Is that correct? IMO, that seems pretty fair for a board solely used for political/religious debate.
(11-02-2015, 04:24 PM)Rotobeast Wrote:  I'm weird.

yes
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(11-02-2015, 04:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: So pretty much, discrimination and whatnot will be tolerated as long as it's not going over the top or using derogatory slurs. Attacks on a person's character will be tolerated as long as there is substance to the thought and not just a spamming barrage of attacks.

Is that correct? IMO, that seems pretty fair for a board solely used for political/religious debate.

Agreed.

Even though I do not support their views, I think it is useful to engage in dialogue with people who may be racist/homophobic/ect.
We will never be able to better society without doing so.

(11-02-2015, 04:27 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: yes
And you love it !
Mellow
(11-02-2015, 03:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yes, you can ask questions.

1)  Are your initials really "BJ"?

2)  Why did your parents do that to you?

3)  Have you explained that is the reason why they will end up in an assisted living facility?  And what happens at the assisted living facility stays at the assisted living facility.
(11-02-2015, 04:29 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: And you love it !
Mellow

true Tongue
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(11-02-2015, 04:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: 1)  Are your initials really "BJ"?

2)  Why did your parents do that to you?

3)  Have you explained that is the reason why they will end up in an assisted living facility?  And what happens at the assisted living facility stays at the assisted living facility.

1) Yes  ThumbsUp

2) I think those initials may have started the sweaty process that led to my conception.  Ninja

3) I have never minded the initials, especially as long as I'm receiving one on a regular basis.  Big Grin
(11-02-2015, 04:24 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Thank you for enlightening me.
I didn't recall.

Thank you.
I know it was whiney, but I'm weird like that.
LOL

Hi, weird like that.
(11-02-2015, 04:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Hi, weird like that.

That was awesome.
If I were to expand upon the feelings you brought forth, I'd be perma-banned.
Wub

Oh wait.... On topic..... yeah...

Tow the line, you dogs !!
Ninja
(11-02-2015, 04:42 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That was awesome.
Wub

Ninja

I think you can opine your feelings for OMUTJB once the new forum requirements are in place. If we're going to be more lax with how much belligerent people are with each other, I don't see why we wouldn't be more lax with your man crushes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
It is clear that the best way to convince others that your views on a political and religious subject are correct is isolate an individual with different opinions and pound them with personal attacks and criticisms. That will win everyone over to "your side" (especially if you are a Christian or Humanist).

Gosh, I thought everyone knew this by now! Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(11-02-2015, 04:42 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That was awesome.
Wub

Ninja

Funny, that's not the first time someone told me that.