Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Poll Shows Dems' Mammoth Congressional Lead for 2018 Has Disappeared
https://www.dailywire.com/news/26599/shock-new-poll-shows-dems-mammoth-congressional-hank-berrien

Taken before the SOTU. Dems have messed around lately and the polls are moving away from them.

Quote:SHOCK: New Poll Shows Dems' Mammoth Congressional Lead for 2018 Has Disappeared

Hank BerrienJanuary 31, 2018

Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images
The Democrats in Congress, who must have thought that they would leave their GOP challengers in the dust in the 2018 election, must be looking in their rear-view mirrors in disbelief — a new poll shows that the once vaunted huge lead congressional Democrats held going into 2018 has plummeted to virtually nothing.

A new Monmouth University Poll, which was taken before President Trump’s State if the Union address, shows 47% of registered voters indicating they would vote for or lean toward voting for the Democratic candidate in their district compared to 45% who would support the Republican. That is an astonishing drop from last month, when a Monmouth poll found the Democrats with an enormous 15-point lead, 51% to 36%.

The shift among the public is also reflected in the poll’s numbers for President Trump; his approval rating last month was at a record low, 32%, but it has leaped to 42%. 55% of voters felt Trump has achieved some success in joining with Congress to pass his legislative agenda; in December that number stood at 42%.

As opposed to December, when only 26% of voters approved of the tax reform plan, with 47% disapproving, the voters are now equally split at 44%. Last month, 50% of voters felt their federal taxes would rise; now only 36% feel that way.

Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute, concluded, "The president devoted a significant amount of the State of the Union address touting a growing economy and his new tax plan. While there is still some way to go to really win over the public, it looks like the needle has moved in the Republicans' direction since passage of the tax bill.”
Meh, I quit putting a lot of stock in political polls around the first Wednesday in NOV 2016
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Despite the obvious "awkwardness" associated with the President, he's doing a fantastic job.

Only those who have a problem with him being "who he is" seem to have any problems with his leadership of the Nation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-31-2018, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Despite the obvious "awkwardness" associated with the President, he's doing a fantastic job.

Only those who have a problem with him being "who he is" seem to have any problems with his leadership of the Nation.

Is this saying that those that criticize him are only doing so for his personality, and not based on policy?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-31-2018, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Despite the obvious "awkwardness" associated with the President, he's doing a fantastic job.  

That's the funniest post of the day.  Congrats!

"Awkward"?  He's exactly the same thin-skinned, egotistical that he was 20 years ago.

He just insults people he then can't figure out why they won't "work with him."

And that's nothing to do with his "policies" whatever they may be...they seem to change from day to day sometimes.  And they usually aren't based on reality but rather what he "thinks".

Thanks though.  I needed that laugh.  "awkwardness"  Hilarious
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-31-2018, 09:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is this saying that those that criticize him are only doing so for his personality, and not based on policy?

List his top 3 policies that you have issue with:

I have to say I take issue with his completely neglecting the Russian propaganda attacks and generally not standing up to Putin. As a non-American that is. I can imagine there are quite a lot of domestic issues many people don't like about his leadership, debt or repealing mandate or whatever. But the one I mentioned is my biggie.
(01-31-2018, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: List his top 3 policies that you have issue with:

The top three policy issues that I take issue with are:

1. Reduction in State Department staffing which is limiting our ability to effectively engage in diplomacy around the world.

2. The GOP tax plan that he worked on with Congressional leadership due to the anticipated increase in the deficit.

3. I'll just go with something recent, the plan to reduce the federal share of infrastructure project expenditures from 50% to 20% that was in the leaked version of the administration's infrastructure plan.

There are more, that's just the first three that popped into my head.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-31-2018, 09:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is this saying that those that criticize him are only doing so for his personality, and not based on policy?

(01-31-2018, 09:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's the funniest post of the day.  Congrats!

"Awkward"?  He's exactly the same thin-skinned, egotistical that he was 20 years ago.

He just insults people he then can't figure out why they won't "work with him."

And that's nothing to do with his "policies" whatever they may be...they seem to change from day to day sometimes.  And they usually aren't based on reality but rather what he "thinks".

Thanks though.  I needed that laugh.  "awkwardness"  Hilarious

So, explain to me why so many Blue Collar folk, (real blue collar workers, not the minimum wage types) love him so much?

Heck, my father is a retired union guy, (who still works part time) a lifelong Democrat supporter.  Previous to Trump, the only Republican that he ever voted for was Regan.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-31-2018, 09:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The top three policy issues that I take issue with are:

1. Reduction in State Department staffing which is limiting our ability to effectively engage in diplomacy around the world.

2. The GOP tax plan that he worked on with Congressional leadership due to the anticipated increase in the deficit.

3. I'll just go with something recent, the plan to reduce the federal share of infrastructure project expenditures from 50% to 20% that was in the leaked version of the administration's infrastructure plan.

There are more, that's just the first three that popped into my head.

So your first one is that he reduced federal employees, your second one is something that is anticipated, and your 3rd one is something that was leaked? 

Seems solid enough reason not to be behind him. 

(01-31-2018, 09:31 PM)hollodero Wrote: I have to say I take issue with his completely neglecting the Russian propaganda attacks and generally not standing up to Putin. As a non-American that is. I can imagine there are quite a lot of domestic issues many people don't like about his leadership, debt or repealing mandate or whatever. But the one I mentioned is my biggie.

Personally, I think that his aim is to fix the inside of the house, before moving on to trying to improve the neighborhood.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-31-2018, 09:31 PM)hollodero Wrote: I have to say I take issue with his completely neglecting the Russian propaganda attacks and generally not standing up to Putin. As a non-American that is. I can imagine there are quite a lot of domestic issues many people don't like about his leadership, debt or repealing mandate or whatever. But the one I mentioned is my biggie.

What would you have him do? As long as Russia is not threatening American lives, it might be better to not alienate them given the current state of NK. 

(01-31-2018, 09:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So your first one is that he reduced federal employees, your second one is something that is anticipated, and your 3rd one is something that was leaked? 

Seems solid enough reason not to be behind him. 

If it had just been reducing the number of federal employees, I would have said that. But the reduction in State Department staff, specifically, has been extremely damaging to our diplomatic efforts.

You asked for policy positions I disagreed with, there you have it. Shall I exchange the leaked one for the appointments I disagree with since they are also policy decisions? Or maybe his decision to allow 14 people to receive the PDB, including Kushner who apparently can't even get a permanent clearance after over a year.

I gave you answers for actual policy reasons I disagree with Trump. You can be free to disagree with those, but those are legitimate disagreements with him that I have and are not based on who he is.

(01-31-2018, 09:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What would you have him do? As long as Russia is not threatening American lives, it might be better to not alienate them given the current state of NK. 

For starters he could acknowledge the deed. Instead he turns against his own agencies and doubts their findings. Then he could make sure that there are at least some tiny new precautions for the next election in place. He could also follow through with Congress and put sanctions on Russia, but he'd rather not. He'd rather have a wonderful time with Lavrov and expose some top secret intelligence while at it. I guess what I intended to point out is that there's enough reason to have a problem with his leadership, it doesn't necessarily just stem from personal disgust (which I do have).

This Russia reaction is a bit "personal" because Putin is pulling similar stunts all over Europe. The fact that by all means he must feel emboldened by the US reaction right now means no good for our European democracies. For me that's a big loss in US leadership column. As is crossing Europe with this Iran deal and the Paris accord, but that's something else already. 

- The NK point is a legit one though. Then again, I'd prefer a functioning US, with a fully staffed state secretary and a robust intelligence and all that which is hampered under Trump, over Russia. Russia isn't a friend of yours or ours no matter what Trump or the US does. So, well.
(01-31-2018, 09:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If it had just been reducing the number of federal employees, I would have said that. But the reduction in State Department staff, specifically, has been extremely damaging to our diplomatic efforts.

You asked for policy positions I disagreed with, there you have it. Shall I exchange the leaked one for the appointments I disagree with since they are also policy decisions? Or maybe his decision to allow 14 people to receive the PDB, including Kushner who apparently can't even get a permanent clearance after over a year.

I gave you answers for actual policy reasons I disagree with Trump. You can be free to disagree with those, but those are legitimate disagreements with him that I have and are not based on who he is.

Nah, you're good you gave your top 3; two of which haven't really happened. Perhaps you just disagree with the appointments because of who they are. 

I disagree with Sunset's remark that all that dislike the Trump Presidency do so simply because of who he his; however, I'd be willing to bet the number that dislike his Presidency do so more for who he is that for any policy he's passed. 

(01-31-2018, 10:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I disagree with Sunset's remark that all that dislike the Trump Presidency do so simply because of who he his; however, I'd be willing to bet the number that dislike his Presidency do so more for who he is that for any policy he's passed. 

I think disliking his presidency for who he is is a perfectly legit reason. (And I guess only for a very few is it the only reason.)
(01-31-2018, 10:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: I think disliking his presidency for who he is is a perfectly legit reason. (And I guess only for a very few is it the only reason.)

Oh, I didn't say it wasn't a legit reason and the main reason I'll be looking at options in 2020 is because of who he is. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2018_generic_congressional_vote-6185.html#polls
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-31-2018, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, explain to me why so many Blue Collar folk, (real blue collar workers, not the minimum wage types) love him so much?

Heck, my father is a retired union guy, (who still works part time) a lifelong Democrat supporter.  Previous to Trump, the only Republican that he ever voted for was Regan.

You ask 'em.  My dad, ex-union, lifelong Democrat knows Trump is an ass.

And he hated Reagan too because of what he did to unions and the economy.

Some folk like idiots who talk out their rear ends.  Can't have a completely informed electorate. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-31-2018, 10:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: You ask 'em.  My dad, ex-union, lifelong Democrat knows Trump is an ass.

And he hated Reagan too because of what he did to unions and the economy.

Some folk like idiots who talk out their rear ends.  Can't have a completely informed electorate. Smirk

Well, I wouldn't exactly describe my Dad as "uninformed".  He retired from his UAW job at age 51, he's continued to work for 20 years and counting since.  Why?  Because he don't want to touch is pension or 401K, and he likes going on cruises 3 or 4 times per year.

Heck, Dad's the one who swayed me over to Trump, when I was still skeptical.  He said that all that bloviating BS is just an act, this guy has our true interests at heart.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23