Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Punt Returner?
With Erickson potentially taking a larger role in the offense, who is going to step up to be the primary punt returner for this team?

Niles Scott may just have the skills  Ninja

https://youtu.be/LW1t6ynYyMY
Reply/Quote
Ive been hoping for Darius Phillips to get a shot.

Reply/Quote
They worked Josh Malone at kick returns today, so he may be getting a look on punts as well.
Reply/Quote
If Ross don’t make the cut at WR when his hamstring heals, that may be his only value.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andrew Billings....
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 09:44 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Ive been hoping for Darius Phillips to get a shot.

Ya, same. I was pretty upset when they didn't use him last year at the position. The guy has a knack for returns, and he actually played decently at corner last year too when given the chance IMO.
Reply/Quote
Antonio Bryant returned punts for Pitt

Wes Welker returned punts for NE

I think Alex Erickson can continue to return punts for us
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Antonio Bryant returned punts for Pitt

Wes Welker returned punts for NE

I think Alex Erickson can continue to return punts for us

I don't disagree with you. I'm not even necessarily convinced that Erickson's role in the offense is going to grow as much as some seem to think it will. FWIW, though, every time they did kick returns it was Malone first, then Erickson, and then Gio.

Again, whether that translates to the punt return game I don't know (they didn't run any punts today, IIRC).

I'm curious to see if they put Ross on returns at all once he's healthy.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 09:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If Ross don’t make the cut at WR when his hamstring heals, that may be his only value.

I'd love to see that, but I honestly can't imagine Ross catching a ball, not fumbling when he's hit, and not getting injured after running all happening within a 6 second timespan.  Maybe things change with ZT in charge, but it really seems like the team was scared of getting Ross involved in actual open space.

Having Ross return kicks sounds like roller coaster ride of insanity.  I'm all for it.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 11:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd love to see that, but I honestly can't imagine Ross catching a ball, not fumbling when he's hit, and not getting injured after running all happening within a 6 second timespan.  Maybe things change with ZT in charge, but it really seems like the team was scared of getting Ross involved in actual open space.

Having Ross return kicks sounds like roller coaster ride of insanity.  I'm all for it.

I think he did it in college and was quite good at it? IIRC the Bengals did have him on returns last year during training camp.

Besides, just because he's catching the kick doesn't mean he actually has to do anything with it. He can kneel in the endzone or call for fair catches all game long.  Tongue

To answer my own question, here he is returning a kick at Washington:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9ydw2x8aM

A quick YouTube search of "John Ross Punt Return" didn't bring up anything but nerd's Madden highlights, though.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 11:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd love to see that, but I honestly can't imagine Ross catching a ball, not fumbling when he's hit, and not getting injured after running all happening within a 6 second timespan.  Maybe things change with ZT in charge, but it really seems like the team was scared of getting Ross involved in actual open space.

In college Ross had 4 tds in 86 kick off returns.  He was #1 in the nation in kick return yards in 2014.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 08:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In college Ross had 4 tds in 86 kick off returns.  He was #1 in the nation in kick return yards in 2014.

If would be nice to see that sort of fearless enthusiasm from him.  Big play guys have a way of getting the entire team hyped, and anxious to get out there and make some noise of their own.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Erickson will continue to be our primary returner, you'll see.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 08:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In college Ross had 4 tds in 86 kick off returns.  He was #1 in the nation in kick return yards in 2014.
Ah the halcyon days of university to which we all long to return.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 08:55 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Erickson will continue to be our primary returner, you'll see.

This is what I think also.

They will take a look at other guys in training camp to see what they have, but I think Erickson will be our #1 guy.
Reply/Quote
Erickson is,the number one guy.
hes basically been handed that job.
hes pretty secure with the ball.
but how,many kickoffs has he brought back for TDS?
How many punt returns has he crossed midfield wirh?
hes consistant.
a game changer no.
nothing can quite like turn the momentum of a game around
as does a long kickoff or punt return.
some of our biggest wins vs Pittsburgh has been the result
of a kick return.
Erickon lacks that ability to make the 1st guy miss him on a punt return.
yeah if he gets a,good block he can do damage.
but who wouldnt?
Phillips did what he did in college for a reason.
let him have a go of it at this level.
Reply/Quote
Seems like our best situation was when Erickson handled most of the returns but when we really needed a big return, Pacman would be the guy. Maybe use Erickson and Phillips is a similar fashion.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Erickson's biggest asset in returns is that he doesn't put the ball on the ground often. That's actually a hell of a lot more important than the occasional return TD. Think of it this way... You have a guy who will break one for a TD every 8th or 9th game, but in between he fumbles 7 of them leading to opponents TDs...OR a guy who never breaks one, but still gets decent yardage and never fumbles.. Who ya gonna go with? I'm going with the steady hand every time. 
That said I still have some bizzare idea that they should put Andre Smith out there without his jersey with his manboobs flopping around rumbling downfield scaring the bejesus out of everyone so they'll just look away letting him score.. Sick I kinda doubt its in the cards though..  Cry  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Erickson's biggest asset in returns is that he doesn't put the ball on the ground often. That's actually a hell of a lot more important than the occasional return TD. Think of it this way... You have a guy who will break one for a TD every 8th or 9th game, but in between he fumbles 7 of them leading to opponents TDs...OR a guy who never breaks one, but still gets decent yardage and never fumbles.. Who ya gonna go with? I'm going with the steady hand every time. 
That said I still have some bizzare idea that they should put Andre Smith out there without his jersey with his manboobs flopping around rumbling downfield scaring the bejesus out of everyone so they'll just look away letting him score.. Sick I kinda doubt its in the cards though..  Cry  

They could grease him up beforehand, just in case someone gets brave.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 01:22 PM)Earendil Wrote: They could grease him up beforehand, just in case someone gets brave.

...and tie that brave guy to the railroad tracks for the Andre express to run over.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote