Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Punt Returner?
(08-01-2019, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Erickson's biggest asset in returns is that he doesn't put the ball on the ground often. That's actually a hell of a lot more important than the occasional return TD. Think of it this way... You have a guy who will break one for a TD every 8th or 9th game, but in between he fumbles 7 of them leading to opponents TDs...OR a guy who never breaks one, but still gets decent yardage and never fumbles.. Who ya gonna go with? I'm going with the steady hand every time. 
That said I still have some bizzare idea that they should put Andre Smith out there without his jersey with his manboobs flopping around rumbling downfield scaring the bejesus out of everyone so they'll just look away letting him score.. Sick I kinda doubt its in the cards though..  Cry  
why not try to find a returner that can secure the ball and flip the field.?
why just be content with a guy who great hands but lacks explosion?
Devin Hester..Rick Upchurch....made their careers by being elite retuners
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 01:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: why not try to find a returner that can secure the ball and flip the field.?

Guys like that don't grow on trees.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 01:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: why not try to find a returner that can secure the ball and flip the field.?

Who says they aren't.

In fact I am pretty sure every team in the league is looking for one of those guys.  How many are out there?

Last year Erickson was 6th in kick return average and 11th in punt return average.  So there are not a lot of guys busting longer returns than him.
Reply/Quote

Well like I've said several times at this point, they were working Josh Malone (4.4 40) at kick returns yesterday ahead of Alex Erickson.

He muffed one, too, and while it's too early to tell if that'll be a pattern with Malone I'll take a consistent Erickson over someone who is going to ball the ball on the ground any day.

I mean yeah, I wish they could pull a HoF-caliber return man out of their butts too but it's not just that easy lol.
Reply/Quote
Kick off return is a lot easier than punt return. The defense is not on top of you as you make the catch. There are a LOT more fumbled PR than KR.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Phillips get a chance but don't want Ross anywhere near the job.
I just have a fear that if/when Ross finally gets fully fit and the first time he gets hit returning a Punt, he will be out for the season
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2019, 04:36 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Well like I've said several times at this point, they were working Josh Malone (4.4 40) at kick returns yesterday ahead of Alex Erickson.

He muffed one, too, and while it's too early to tell if that'll be a pattern with Malone I'll take a consistent Erickson over someone who is going to ball the ball on the ground any day.

I mean yeah, I wish they could pull a HoF-caliber return man out of their butts too but it's not just that easy lol.

Oh c'mon.. Those guys grow on trees. The problem is the trees are to high for any ladders we currently have and the trunks are to wide to chop down.. So many trees, so few bees to pollinate them..  Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think some of you will continue to sell Erickson short just because he hasn't broken one for a TD. He still keeps his feet right and doesn't fumble. How that is a bad thing is beyond me. The Bengals have been lucky this past decade with both Erickson and even Tate not fumbling every other game. Some of you seem to undervalue ball security in favor of the occasional TD. Guess what happens when the returner fumbles a lot? The other team gets a huge shot at getting the ball right back. Personally I'm no fan of that scenario of trading the occasional TD for less ball security..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 07:17 PM)grampahol Wrote: I think some of you will continue to sell Erickson short just because he hasn't broken one for a TD. He still keeps his feet right and doesn't fumble. How that is a bad thing is beyond me. The Bengals have been lucky this past decade with both Erickson and even Tate not fumbling every other game. Some of you seem to undervalue ball security in favor of the occasional TD. Guess what happens when the returner fumbles a lot? The other team gets a huge shot at getting the ball right back. Personally I'm no fan of that scenario of trading the occasional TD for less ball security..  

I watched Erickson return 2 punts in preseason for TDs a couple years back.
from.that point on hes had the return job.
nobody is undervaluing ball security.
but at some point the guy has to be able
to at least take one back to the house.
like I said you can secure the ball and still be 
a threat and have the ability to put a fear in coverage teams.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2019, 09:44 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Ive been hoping for Darius Phillips to get a shot.

Had the Steelers drafted this guy, with his history of return TD's from PUNTs, KICKOFFs, & INTERCEPTIONs, you can bet that would have given him a shot and it would have been his job to lose, and he would be tearing the Bengals azz up on any given Sunday...Yet, the Bengals just have no use for his return skills

Just like they have no use for Benard's receiving skills
Or Westerman's blocking skills over Alex Redmond's blocking skills.

Why don't the Bengals just give themselves a better chance of achievement, say as the Steelers would do?
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
The special teams got as many flags as Alex Redmond and Bobby Hart combined. It seemed that way anyway clean that up and Alex would be top 3 in return yardage. As far as getting TD on returns its about flipping the field you don't always need the TD it would be nice but not a must to have a big impact.

Darius Phillips is the next best option and should get a lot of looks there. And it would not impact the team as much if he went down for a game or two to injury as it would if Gio went down. For heavens sake do not let Ross anywhere near punt or kick off returns he needs to worry about becoming a decent WR before he tries to put any more on his plate.
Reply/Quote
Ross was meant to be a RB, not a WR.
Reply/Quote
I don’t really value the returner now as much due to the NFL de-emphasizing kickoffs. I would not be surprised at some point the NFL does something to make punt returns to be safer. I wouldn’t spend much time worrying about the return game when the vast majority of kickoffs results in touch backs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote