Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New QB salary bar set
Anyone else remember when the latest outrageous player salary was $4M / year for Jose Canseco?
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 08:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Stadium concessions are also a supply and demand thing.  On a football game day you can have like 70,000 people stuffed within a mile radius and if you make hot dogs and beers a dollar each people are going to buy 10 of them and you'll sell out before the anthem hits.

I will say this contract is pretty absurd, but at the same time you have to wonder if the Chicago Bears are relieved that they drafted Trubisky instead of Mahommes now that they see how much an MVP and SB-winning QB would cost them.  Yeah, I doubt it.  I just try to put myself in the shoes of the Chiefs or Chiefs fans.  Let's say Joe Burrow is the 2021 MVP and then he wins the 2022 SB and is the SB MVP.  If he wants half a billion bucks are you going to say "You got it!" or risk watching him sign with the Steelers or Patriots or something.  Oof.

As Billy Joel once sang, you pay for your satisfaction somewhere a long the line.

And we're living here in Allentown.... You choose many wise quotes from the great bards.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Can't wait to see more details as they come out. On the surface it seems like a big risk but huge reward for KC. Seven years ago people flipped out when Flacco cashed in for 6 yrs 120 million and look at how much QB contracts have risen since then.

If Mahomes stays healthy, this should be a bargain for the Chiefs. Even with the unknown implications of Covid and the salary cap, this could be a smart long term play. Bet Dak is smiling. Lamar and Watson too. Man it's a lot to digest. There's only one Mahomes but it's got to affect other QBs too. I'm really most interested to find out how much injury risk KC is taking on.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 09:20 PM)CrowFoot Wrote: Anyone else remember when the latest outrageous player salary was $4M / year for Jose Canseco?

Or people going crazy when Joe Namath got that $427,000 contract. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Say what you want about MB but he will pay Qb's.

I'll be interested to see if the roster suffers in the coming years. Who else needs a contract? Hill? Jones?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 10:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Say what you want about MB but he will pay Qb's.

I'll be interested to see if the roster suffers in the coming years. Who else needs a contract? Hill? Jones?

Jones. The general consensus is that CJ is gone after this year, I think.
Worst case, aside from injury, is that the Chiefs neglect their defense and have Falcons/Saints mediocrity.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 11:07 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Jones. The general consensus is that CJ is gone after this year, I think.
Worst case, aside from injury, is that the Chiefs neglect their defense and have Falcons/Saints mediocrity.

That's generally what seems to happen when you pony up for a QB like this... But they got their SB championship, so whatever. If Mahomes or Wilson never win another, it really doesn't matter. One beats none. If Joe Burrow were to win a super bowl 9n his rookie deal, get paid, and then cost the team the ability to build around him, it still wouldn't matter. We revere coaches with losing or 500ish records that got us to the championship game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
10 years is just too long in this sport. He probably deserves to be highest paid player, but the most I’m going for an NFL player is in the 5-7 year range.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: 10 years is just too long in this sport. He probably deserves to be highest paid player, but the most I’m going for an NFL player is in the 5-7 year range.

I doubt KC has actually hamstrung themselves for 10 years. There will be outs and he will likely restructure at some point. It’s all for show with these contracts sometimes. IDK the details of this one tho.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: 10 years is just too long in this sport. He probably deserves to be highest paid player, but the most I’m going for an NFL player is in the 5-7 year range.

The make or break year will be 2026, so in 6 years, when he is owed a nearly $50 million bonus. He will be age 30 that year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's awesome he's not a squeeler, stain or ratbird. I can endorse this deal. As for $400 million x 10 yrs..that is ridiculous!!! Let's hope we can get 5 Superbowls during Joe's rookie contract, he'll be gone fo sho- after that.

I just cant see the followping......2026 Breaking News: The Brown family re-signes Burrow $500 million for 10 yrs.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 09:23 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It's awesome he's not a squeeler, stain or ratbird. I can endorse this deal. As for $400 million x 10 yrs..that is ridiculous!!! Let's hope we can get 5 Superbowls during Joe's rookie contract, he'll be gone fo sho- after that.

I just cant see the followping......2026 Breaking News: The Brown family re-signes Burrow $500 million for 10 yrs.

If this guy gets the Bengals 5 Super Bowls you give this man $1B
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 09:28 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If this guy gets the Bengals 5 Super Bowls you give this man $1B

I'd want to see ownership of the franchise itself signed over to Burrow instead of a contract. 
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 09:46 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd want to see ownership of the franchise itself signed over to Burrow instead of a contract. 

Team, city, Brown family fortune, ALL OF IT!
Reply/Quote
We should rename the city Burrowville if he even wins one here.

Reply/Quote
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/07/06/the-most-interesting-details-in-patrick-mahomes-new-contract/

Very interesting. I suggest everyone take a few minutes to read this, just to get a handle on this deal.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2020, 05:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The QB deals are getting absolutely insane.  It's getting to the point where I'm not sure I'd even want some of these guys past their rookie deals.

Dak Prescott actually turning down a 34 mil per deal is a perfect example of this.  The contract given to Ryan Tannenhill is another blantant example of over-valuing these guys.  There is no way I'm paying someone like Prescott that amount of money.  And thre crazy part is, he didn't even take it.  He wants more.  They'd be better served just investing heavily in the draft at the QB position, and pairing those guys with low risk/high reward veterans (See Cam Newton, Jaemis Winston, Andy Dalton).

Obviously Mahomes is a notch or two (or three, or four) above Prescott.  But I'm still not sold on these contracts we're seeing.  Mahomes will now account for over 20% (Yearly average estimate) of their salary cap.  One single player accounting for that high of a percentage when you have 52 other guys to pay, that count towards the cap, really limits some of the moves you can make elsewhere.

I'm assuming this deal will hold more than 100 million in guarantees.  If this guy gets hurt then this franchise will be hindered with dead weight for years.  And fwiw, he did miss time last season.  And his numbers, even when healthy, came back down to reality.  Not too mention, Mahomes is one of the most athletic QB's in the league.  So what happens when you're in years 6-10 of this deal, he's then 30+ years old, and he's not as athletic as he once was?

I stop the rambling here.  I get the move.  They had to make it.  And he deserves to paid like that when you see the deals being handed out.  But I just think this league needs to pull back a bit on the spending on the position.  A 30 mil per cap seems more than fair IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...

:andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 12:50 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I just cant see the followping...2026 Breaking News: The Brown Family re-signes Burrow $500 million for 10 yrs.
The Browns, even MB, will pay QBs at market value. Especially if Burrow is as good as he seems. 
Reply/Quote
When the new TV deals are done they’re expecting even with the current pandemic situation a 100 million dollar increase in the cap making Mahomes deal 5 years from now seem like a bargain and give them room to build around him
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I am not saying he isn’t worth that amount of money. I just think it will be interesting to see how this affects the Chiefs when it comes to retaining talent at other positions. So 25% of their cap will be Mahomes? Is that correct?
Reply/Quote