Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Shock Absorbing Helmet for 2016
This looks like a step in the right direction. The problem with current helmets is, they are designed to prevent skull fractures, but have no shock absorption ability. The CTE doctor, Dr. Malu, explains why certain animals can bang their heads all day long, like woodpeckers and Rams, because they have built in shock absorbers around their brains, humans do not.

I'm looking forward to watching if these new helmets help reduce concussions and play to play impacts on the head. I really enjoy watching football and want the players that provide that entertainment to be as healthy as possible when their careers are over.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-vicis-football-helmet/
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 10:56 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: This looks like a step in the right direction. The problem with current helmets is, they are designed to prevent skull fractures, but have no shock absorption ability. The CTE doctor, Dr. Malu, explains why certain animals can bang their heads all day long, like woodpeckers and Rams, because they have built in shock absorbers around their brains, humans do not.

I'm looking forward to watching if these new helmets help reduce concussions and play to play impacts on the head. I really enjoy watching football and want the players that provide that entertainment to be as healthy as possible when their careers are over.

I thought there was a story a few years ago about a better helmet to limit concussions but it wasn't made by the "official provider" of NFL helmets.  But was being used elsewhere.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 11:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I thought there was a story a few years ago about a better helmet to limit concussions but it wasn't made by the "official provider" of NFL helmets.  But was being used elsewhere.

Apparently there isn't an actual official provider of helmets, team and even players are free to use whatever helmet they want. The research for this helmet was partially funded by the NFL, so I'd day there's a pretty good chance that it gets some pretty extensive use in the league next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 10:56 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: This looks like a step in the right direction. The problem with current helmets is, they are designed to prevent skull fractures, but have no shock absorption ability. The CTE doctor, Dr. Malu, explains why certain animals can bang their heads all day long, like woodpeckers and Rams, because they have built in shock absorbers around their brains, humans do not.

All this is going to do is encourage players to lead with their head even more than they do now. Completely do away with hard shelled helmets and concussions will drop dramatically. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 09:30 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: All this is going to do is encourage players to lead with their head even more than they do now. Completely do away with hard shelled helmets and concussions will drop dramatically. 

Probably not considering soccer and rugby players get concussions too. Also, CTE doesn't just come from concussions. It actually comes from every impact to the head, that's why it's more prevalent in lineman that bang against each other on every single snap.
Reply/Quote
Lol ofc they have these.

Now let's drop concussion protocol and wear these helmets.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 10:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Probably not considering soccer and rugby players get concussions too. Also, CTE doesn't just come from concussions. It actually comes from every impact to the head, that's why it's more prevalent in lineman that bang against each other on every single snap.

In a sport as violent as football you will never completely eliminate concussions. Yes players in other sports get concussions but football is the only sport where players purposely use their heads as a weapon on a regular basis. Seeing as how the majority of concussions in the NFL are from helmet to helmet hits, getting rid of those types of hits will greatly reduce the number. And the only way to reduce the number of helmet to helmet hits is take away hard shelled helmets. 
Reply/Quote
Well, the current helmet isn't doing the job so might as well try something new.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The #1 step should be to take the head to head hits out of the game. There is never a reason why a player should lead with the crown of the helmet weather it his to block, tackle, or run over.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 02:59 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: In a sport as violent as football you will never completely eliminate concussions. Yes players in other sports get concussions but football is the only sport where players purposely use their heads as a weapon on a regular basis. Seeing as how the majority of concussions in the NFL are from helmet to helmet hits, getting rid of those types of hits will greatly reduce the number. And the only way to reduce the number of helmet to helmet hits is take away hard shelled helmets. 

Football went to hard shell helmets to prevent skull fractures. They are a needed piece of safety equipment. Head injuries don't just come from head to head collisions, players get knees and elbows to the head and leaping players end up on their heads often and there's the impact of the head hitting the ground when a player gets tackled. This helmet is the best of both worlds, soft shell around a hard one.
Reply/Quote
Just go back to the old leather helmets and a mouth piece.  I'm fine with that.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
You can get a concussion from whiplash. It doesn't even have to be a hit to the head. Hit someone hard enough that their brain rocks and they can get a concussion.
Reply/Quote