Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Stripe City: Cut the Tape breakdowns
Thought I’d put these here in case anyone is interested. They’re covering a lot of the top draft prospects, and guys that should be in our range at 5. We can add new ones as they do them.

Sewell

https://youtu.be/Y-S3gTEyrlA

Chase

https://youtu.be/VWIBE2EJRS8

Slater

https://youtu.be/rRVrIKqzpKA

Parsons

https://youtu.be/_TX65oX6JOA

Surtain

https://youtu.be/grhzjLijQZI
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I watched their Slater and Chase videos. I didn't bother with the Parsons and Surtain videos because I don't think either is in contention for us to pick since we're almost certainly going offense, but they've referenced Parsons multiple times in the Slater and Chase videos, basically saying they were surprised how bad he looked on tape considering how much praise he's getting in the media as a potential top 10 pick.

In terms of Slater, they came to the same general conclusion as me; The he is stout in pass blocking and surprisingly good in run blocking but the measurements scare them. They essentially say they'd be fine with the pick at 5 if Sewell wasn't there, but they hope we don't have to go to the plan B like that.

In terms of Chase, I went in expecting them to be completely floored by him (as most people are) but, surprisingly, they seemed somewhat lukewarm on him. They said he was a good prospect but he isn't as fast as they thought he would be, he took more plays off than they thought he would and he wasn't a good blocker. Their conclusion was something along the lines of "he's good, but not for us." They said he had a lot of similarities to Higgins, minus Higgins' height advantage.

I have been somewhat cautious about Chase for a few reasons:
1. He isn't a Height-Weight-Speed prospect that you expect in the top 5 conversation.
2. He only has 1 year of production and that was during the record breaking season of Joe Burrow, who I think we can all agree makes his receivers look good.
3. One of his biggest pros seems to be "he gets open." This is a red flag to me because it doesn't really articulate why he gets open. Is he a really good route runner? Is he really fast? Is he really shifty? It just seems to be a very generic statement that I think you could make more specific if you actually cared to. He is also called a great jump ball receiver but, at 6'0", will that translate to the NFL when he can't just out-athlete his opponents? This makes me concerned that maybe he doesn't have any elite skills and is just "above average" at most things. That won't necessarily translate to the NFL.

But I remained resolute that he'd be worth the top 5 pick because if he was still considered a top 5 pick after all of these concerns, then his tape must be extraordinary. So I was pretty concerned after watching their breakdown where they seemed generally unimpressed with his body of work.

Anyone feel the same way or am I just spiraling into doomerism?

I'm looking forward to watching their Sewell tape though. They came away from watching Slater saying they'd be okay with the pick if Sewell isn't there. I wonder if they'll watch the Sewell tape and notice anything that concerns them.
Reply/Quote
I don't believe the Bengals would take Slater over Chase if both are available and Sewell is gone.
Bengals will feel Chase is too good of a prospect to pass on.
I'd expect they'd be more than happy to take OL on Day 2 or even possibly trade back up into late Rd 1 to get OL in that case.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:18 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I watched their Slater and Chase videos. I didn't bother with the Parsons and Surtain videos because I don't think either is in contention for us to pick since we're almost certainly going offense, but they've referenced Parsons multiple times in the Slater and Chase videos, basically saying they were surprised how bad he looked on tape considering how much praise he's getting in the media as a potential top 10 pick.

In terms of Slater, they came to the same general conclusion as me; The he is stout in pass blocking and surprisingly good in run blocking but the measurements scare them. They essentially say they'd be fine with the pick at 5 if Sewell wasn't there, but they hope we don't have to go to the plan B like that.

In terms of Chase, I went in expecting them to be completely floored by him (as most people are) but, surprisingly, they seemed somewhat lukewarm on him. They said he was a good prospect but he isn't as fast as they thought he would be, he took more plays off than they thought he would and he wasn't a good blocker. Their conclusion was something along the lines of "he's good, but not for us." They said he had a lot of similarities to Higgins, minus Higgins' height advantage.

I have been somewhat cautious about Chase for a few reasons:
1. He isn't a Height-Weight-Speed prospect that you expect in the top 5 conversation.
2. He only has 1 year of production and that was during the record breaking season of Joe Burrow, who I think we can all agree makes his receivers look good.
3. One of his biggest pros seems to be "he gets open." This is a red flag to me because it doesn't really articulate why he gets open. Is he a really good route runner? Is he really fast? Is he really shifty? It just seems to be a very generic statement that I think you could make more specific if you actually cared to. He is also called a great jump ball receiver but, at 6'0", will that translate to the NFL when he can't just out-athlete his opponents? This makes me concerned that maybe he doesn't have any elite skills and is just "above average" at most things. That won't necessarily translate to the NFL.

But I remained resolute that he'd be worth the top 5 pick because if he was still considered a top 5 pick after all of these concerns, then his tape must be extraordinary. So I was pretty concerned after watching their breakdown where they seemed generally unimpressed with his body of work.

I'm looking forward to watching their Sewell tape though. They came away from watching Slater saying they'd be okay with the pick if Sewell isn't there. I wonder if they'll watch the Sewell tape and notice anything that concerns them.

I don’t necessarily agree with all their knocks on Chase, but I like Ace, and I find those breakdowns interesting to watch. The one game they were dogging Chase so much for (Alabama) he had 140 yds and a TD...

They’ve been fairly nitpicky on some of the stuff tbh. They both obviously want Sewell the most (rightfully so). The USC game they watched was impressive, but I wish they would have used another game besides Colorado. That’s not going to silence the PAC 12 sucks crowd.

I’ve been Sewell, Chase, Pitts in that order all along, but honestly I think I might switch Chase and Pitts by the draft depending on the combine and whatnot.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't believe the Bengals would take Slater over Chase if both are available and Sewell is gone.
Bengals will feel Chase is too good of a prospect to pass on.
I'd expect they'd be more than happy to take OL on Day 2 or even possibly trade back up into late Rd 1 to get OL in that case.

When’s the last time they did that though?

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When’s the last time they did that though?

No idea, but it's not like they can't. They probably won't though since they don't have an abundance of picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sewell is the best non qb prospect in this draft and his tape proves that even with the things he needs polishing on.

Chase didn’t look that great against Bama, it did look like he took a lot of plays off that game, but you hope you get the guy who played in the championship every game if you pick him. He needs to block better but I bet you can say that about most receivers in any given draft.

I’ll get to the other players soon.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 12:24 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Sewell is the best non qb prospect in this draft and his tape proves that even with the things he needs polishing on.

Chase didn’t look that great against Bama, it did look like he took a lot of plays off that game, but you hope you get the guy who played in the championship every game if you pick him. He needs to block better but I bet you can say that about most receivers in any given draft.

I’ll get to the other players soon.

Doubly so when they are 19 years old for the entire season of tape you're looking at. He'll get a bit bigger and more physical if he didn't already from the last year.

Same thing with Sewell. Both young guys who will physically mature a bit more from the tape we last saw from them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Chase to me looks like Josh Doctson or Corey Coleman 2.0
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:18 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: But I remained resolute that he'd be worth the top 5 pick because if he was still considered a top 5 pick after all of these concerns, then his tape must be extraordinary. So I was pretty concerned after watching their breakdown where they seemed generally unimpressed with his body of work.

Great breakdown. 

I feel the same as they did. I don't think he's the best WR prospect in this draft, but he is still one of the best. I've been encouraging Ace to Cut the Tape on Waddle and Smith. 

For those who don't follow New Stripe City, I think you should. Ace and Zim really do a nice job. And they're alot of fun. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 03:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doubly so when they are 19 years old for the entire season of tape you're looking at. He'll get a bit bigger and more physical if he didn't already from the last year.

Same thing with Sewell. Both young guys who will physically mature a bit more from the tape we last saw from them.

One year is probably not going to matter that much especially in college.. it seems the NFL tends to do a better job putting on weight over college but by your assumption all players that did not play this year including Parsons should be bigger and stronger than when we last saw them on tape
Reply/Quote
Surtain doesn’t seem very impressive either. Looks to be more finesse than physical, and he doesn’t get INTs.

I remain confident that Farley is the better player for the Bengals should they go corner at 5
Reply/Quote
Waddle

https://youtu.be/HPSfJollVXY

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 10:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Waddle

https://youtu.be/HPSfJollVXY

That Mac Jones guy must not like easy touchdowns. Waddle looked really good on film
Reply/Quote
I barely made it into the Penei Sewell video ugh they are awful. These breakdowns are about as useful as a condom in a convent.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 01:00 AM)Synric Wrote: I barely made it into the Penei Sewell video ugh they are awful. These breakdowns are about as useful as a condom in a convent.

Tell us how you really feel.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 01:00 AM)Synric Wrote: I barely made it into the Penei Sewell video ugh they are awful. These breakdowns are about as useful as a condom in a convent.

It does get a little annoying when the guy says facts like all the time, and on the Sewell and slater videos he’s always asking if they are holding.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 10:15 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: It does get a little annoying when the guy says facts like all the time, and on the Sewell and slater videos he’s always asking if they are holding.

They’re by no means experts. They’re just fans like anyone else. I just like Ace’s channel and figured I’d share them here. Like I said wrt the Chase video, I don’t even necessarily agree with some of their takes.

The only podcast guy that really seems to know his stuff and far as Xs and Os and film breakdowns is Matt Minich. His opinions I put a fair amount of stock into when he does these. He’s currently doing Burrow from all 10 games he played in this season.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 10:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re by no means experts. They’re just fans like anyone else. I just like Ace’s channel and figured I’d share them here. Like I said wrt the Chase video, I don’t even necessarily agree with some of their takes.

The only podcast guy that really seems to know his stuff and far as Xs and Os and film breakdowns is Matt Minich. His opinions I put a fair amount of stock into when he does these. He’s currently doing Burrow from all 10 games he played in this season.

It’s cool, I watch them anyhow because I really don’t have many opportunities to watch college anymore. Watching Waddle play excited me more than Chase because he never took a play off and was open all the time, and he tried to block.

Minich seems like a cool guy who just knows football. I like his postgame shows and his breakdowns are good watches too.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for these vids Nicomo, they got any on Pitts?
Reply/Quote