Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Thinking on Offense?
Usually I'm more of a defense guy but I'm looking at the Cincinnati roster and I see what I assess to be a change in thinking among the coaching staff with respect to offense. While the previous Bengal teams under Marvin Lewis on offense were primarily built to sustain drives, run the clock down, and score when possible, what I see now is a recipe for a wide-open pass-first Atlanta-type offense which can morph into a New England-type "yards after catch" offense when necessary.

The parts are in place* in all the skill positions to accomplish this. Drafting John Ross gives Cincinnati speed opposite AJ Green which should open up the deep ball for the first time since the days of Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, and TJ Houshmandzadeh.

Joe Mixon can catch out of the backfield expertly like Marshall Faulk did. So can Gio Bernard. This will require more coverage dedicated to them, freeing up the tight end over the middle. Speaking thereof, I think we need to get used to the fact that Tyler Eifert may not be available as often as we want -- so get used to Tyler Kroft and CJ Uzomah starting!

Speaking of Joe Mixon, watching him frustrate defenses will be FUN! Even Jeremy Hill will benefit from this new thinking.

*This depends on the offensive line and their coach getting their poop together.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:06 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I'm more of a defense guy but I'm looking at the Cincinnati roster and I see what I assess to be a change in thinking among the coaching staff with respect to offense.  While the previous Bengal teams under Marvin Lewis on offense were primarily built to sustain drives, run the clock down, and score when possible, what I see now is a recipe for a wide-open pass-first Atlanta-type offense which can morph into a New England-type "yards after catch" offense when necessary.

The parts are in place* in all the skill positions to accomplish this.  Drafting John Ross gives Cincinnati speed opposite AJ Green which should open up the deep ball for the first time since the days of Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, and TJ Houshmandzadeh.  

Joe Mixon can catch out of the backfield expertly like Marshall Faulk did.  So can Gio Bernard.  This will require more coverage dedicated to them, freeing up the tight end over the middle.  Speaking thereof, I think we need to get used to the fact that Tyler Eifert may not be available as often as we want -- so get used to Tyler Kroft and CJ Uzomah starting!

Speaking of Joe Mixon, watching him frustrate defenses will be FUN!  Even Jeremy Hill will benefit from this new thinking.

*This depends on the offensive line and their coach getting their poop together.

[Image: 5e1ce9c682c9980fdbd4f7680525f47a0f5fcb3d...eef5f2.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:06 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I'm more of a defense guy but I'm looking at the Cincinnati roster and I see what I assess to be a change in thinking among the coaching staff with respect to offense.  While the previous Bengal teams under Marvin Lewis on offense were primarily built to sustain drives, run the clock down, and score when possible, what I see now is a recipe for a wide-open pass-first Atlanta-type offense which can morph into a New England-type "yards after catch" offense when necessary.

The parts are in place* in all the skill positions to accomplish this.  Drafting John Ross gives Cincinnati speed opposite AJ Green which should open up the deep ball for the first time since the days of Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, and TJ Houshmandzadeh.  

Joe Mixon can catch out of the backfield expertly like Marshall Faulk did.  So can Gio Bernard.  This will require more coverage dedicated to them, freeing up the tight end over the middle.  Speaking thereof, I think we need to get used to the fact that Tyler Eifert may not be available as often as we want -- so get used to Tyler Kroft and CJ Uzomah starting!

Speaking of Joe Mixon, watching him frustrate defenses will be FUN!  Even Jeremy Hill will benefit from this new thinking.

I agree with you for the most part, but many Bengals teams were offensive.  Back in the day of Boomer and the no huddle our offense was bad ass. More currently in the Lewis era, i think his 2 best squads were offensive...2005 and a few years ago when Dalton broke his thumb.  Both teams were heavy offense.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
I thought our new offense is predicated on Zampese getting the coaches book from "the waterboy"?
Reply/Quote
I gotta admit, the thing that shocked me most when I watched Mixon was how natural he was catching the ball.

He made some catches that would impress any WR on our roster not named AJ Green. For a guy with 4.45 speed at 228 lbs, that's a scary sight for opposing defenses.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see a hybrid offense where we take shots deep a lot like Atlanta...but also use some WC Offense staples like short passes to RB's and TE's.

I don't know that we'll be able to run the ball this year and think that could help supplement it.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd like to see a hybrid offense where we take shots deep a lot like Atlanta...but also use some WC Offense staples like short passes to RB's and TE's.

I don't know that we'll be able to run the ball this year and think that could help supplement it.

We saw that in 2015 when Dalton was slinging the ball around and it looked great. Maybe we just didn't have the horses last year.

Can't use that excuse again this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Good stuff, i was primarily excited about the Defense myself before the draft but you have to admit, we got some
extremely fast, talented guys now on Offense. Ross and Mixon will have immediate impacts for us. Ross just being
on the field will scare Defenses. Mixon has such great vision, hands and balance we will be much more versatile.

Mixon is also great at picking up the blitz which means he should start soon. This is essential.

We should be running more of an up tempo Offense relying much more on YAC this year.

This should help out the O-line some.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, but everything hinges on the offensive line this year. Absolutely loved the draft, and I believe it sets up the offense nicely for years to come. Got some decent upgrades for the defense as well. Even if this year doesn't go well (if the offensive line is weak), the team is set up to contend for years. They can look for offensive linemen in next year's draft, and within a couple years I believe the team shouldn't have any major weaknesses. Good enough to at least break the playoff drought in the next 3 years ( I know, I know, we don't want to wait that long), and be a serious contender.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:49 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, but everything hinges on the offensive line this year. Absolutely loved the draft, and I believe it sets up the offense nicely for years to come. Got some decent upgrades for the defense as well. Even if this year doesn't go well (if the offensive line is weak), the team is set up to contend for years. They can look for offensive linemen in next year's draft, and within a couple years I believe the team shouldn't have any major weaknesses. Good enough to at least break the playoff drought in the next 3 years ( I know, I know, we don't want to wait that long), and be a serious contender.

In 3 years, we will have mores holes needing filled. With good coaching, our time is now! However?

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 04:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: In 3 years, we will have mores holes needing filled. With good coaching, our time is now! However?

Sure they will, but by then they should (hopefully) break their playoff drought.  
Reply/Quote
I really hope Zampese can throw away Hue's playbook and utilize the new blood and get this offense clicking again.

Like FinKettering I'll add the O-line is critical in this happening !
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We saw that in 2015 when Dalton was slinging the ball around and it looked great. Maybe we just didn't have the horses last year.

Can't use that excuse again this year.

We might not have the horses on the offensive line though. That's the big questionmark in my mind.

If we have a bottom 5 offensive line...we might be in trouble.
Reply/Quote
It's possible, but it wouldn't be the off-season without us sitting on this message board wondering how we were going to fit all our amazing offensive talent on the field at the same time.
Reply/Quote
Just get the ball out fast, Dalton can do it. Just snap and throw. Let the WRs do all the work, try it, what's it gonna hurt, we were horrible last yea rand haven't won a playoff game in over a quarter a century. Play to the strengths.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 02:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd like to see a hybrid offense where we take shots deep a lot like Atlanta...but also use some WC Offense staples like short passes to RB's and TE's.

we HAVE TO RUN the ball.....
A.D. can't pass 50+ times per game....no QB can & be effective....usually a high pass total shows the team was well behind & passing on almost every play.....
WE CAN'T DO THAT....
w/ Mixon, & Gio being  shifty, quick they should be able to find holes.....all we HAVE TO DO is keep the Defense honest....b/c Mixon & Gio can break off long runs if they find a seam....Hill being more of a thumper if nothing else hopefully can get 3 yrds & a cloud of dust....
then that should let our passing game flourish....a lot of short stuff, screens, crossing patterns, w/ a bomb to A.J. & Ross about every 12 plays....
 that should work.....
K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid....
we just need our O-line to give A.D. 3-4 seconds...if they can do that we should have a GREAT year...
Reply/Quote