Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(01-21-2021, 02:06 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good thing I didn't move there.  The dispensary in Marion wasn't very good anyway.  After it's legal for awhile, the prices will come down, they have in Michigan.  We nearly moved to Metropolis.  Of course we would have dashed across I-24 to Paducah to shop.  But we looked at 8 houses in Metropolis, and were going to make an offer on a house.  I just wanted to grow, legally.

I'd say Kentucky is still a decade off from legalizing it. It's mostly decriminalized, but you're talking about a state that still has lots (not sure how many) of dry counties. Mine went wet around six years ago and it by a narrow margin. Even then, some wealthy folks bought up lots of property and donated it to the school system in an effort to keep liquor stores from opening or existing restaurants from serving (according to the verbage, neither can be within so many yards of school or church property). In the western end of the state, only three cities allow Sunday sales. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 03:55 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd say Kentucky is still a decade off from legalizing it. It's mostly decriminalized, but you're talking about a state that still has lots (not sure how many) of dry counties. Mine went wet around six years ago and it by a narrow margin. Even then, some wealthy folks bought up lots of property and donated it to the school system in an effort to keep liquor stores from opening or existing restaurants from serving (according to the verbage, neither can be within so many yards of school or church property). In the western end of the state, only three cities allow Sunday sales. 

Crap like that is why I tell people "I was born across the river from Cincinnati". It's much more polite than saying out loud "I'm from Kentucky".

Years ago, watching a show about marijuana with a friend, they were interviewing a Kentucky cop that was assigned to going after pot growers. He kept talking in circles about the made up dangers of marijuana and the supposed problems it caused on society. The interviewer said "It sounds like the biggest problem appears to be the prohibition of marijuana". The cop was visibly agitated and kept coming up with BS excuses. As I turned the channel I said to my friend "It's sad that they let people like that be a cop. He sounds like he's terrified of giving up kicking in doors of someone growing a few plants in their closet and having to actually go after real criminals."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 06:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Crap like that is why I tell people "I was born across the river from Cincinnati". It's much more polite than saying out loud "I'm from Kentucky".

Years ago, watching a show about marijuana with a friend, they were interviewing a Kentucky cop that was assigned to going after pot growers. He kept talking in circles about the made up dangers of marijuana and the supposed problems it caused on society. The interviewer said "It sounds like the biggest problem appears to be the prohibition of marijuana". The cop was visibly agitated and kept coming up with BS excuses. As I turned the channel I said to my friend "It's sad that they let people like that be a cop. He sounds like he's terrified of giving up kicking in doors of someone growing a few plants in their closet and having to actually go after real criminals."

I get what you're saying, but you're laying blame on the wrong doorstep.  The street level LEO is the tip of the funnel.  Above them are all the legislators, managers and bureaucrats who actually decide on the policies these LEO's then have to enforce.  No street level LEO is going to go on record, especially while being filmed, and essentially say his superiors, in all their forms, have their heads up their asses on this issue.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 09:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: This doesn't really seem all that controversial at this point. There are only six states in the whole country where it is fully illegal still, so at this point we have all pretty much accepted it in some form or another. It has been almost 8 years since it was first made legal in Colorado for recreational use and we pretty much now know it doesn't turn the place into anarchy as some had predicted.

It kind of lends itself to a larger look at the regulation of vices in general. Gambling, drugs, prostitution are all legal in various places but also occur almost everywhere anyway. We essentially have these hundred billion dollar black market economies that are going untaxed because of puritanical laws that do nothing to prevent it but instead create criminals and take away tons of tax revenue. The other issue is the criminal elements that run these vice industries because of their illegal status. When you push these industries to the light you take away the criminal elements' ability to profit from them.

Amen. Vice laws are ridiculous.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 03:55 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd say Kentucky is still a decade off from legalizing it. It's mostly decriminalized, but you're talking about a state that still has lots (not sure how many) of dry counties. Mine went wet around six years ago and it by a narrow margin. Even then, some wealthy folks bought up lots of property and donated it to the school system in an effort to keep liquor stores from opening or existing restaurants from serving (according to the verbage, neither can be within so many yards of school or church property). In the western end of the state, only three cities allow Sunday sales. 

Years ago, my first wife and I went for a long weekend at Grayson Lake State Lodge, and I hadn't even given a thought toward the idea of it being located in a "Dry County".  Fortunately we were lucky enough to check in during the afternoon, to make the sad discovery upon venturing out.  We were easily able to make our way to Ironton Oh. in time to load up on some contraband to smuggle back to our retreat. 

But, speaking of that Ohio River Valley region, some seriously good marijuana is grown in those parts.  If legalization ever came to be in Ohio, WV, or KY, I could see a good number of folks being able to finally rise out of generations long poverty by perhaps getting approval for Government regulated grow operations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, speaking of that Ohio River Valley region, some seriously good marijuana is grown in those parts.  If legalization ever came to be in Ohio, WV, or KY, I could see a good number of folks being able to finally rise out of generations long poverty by perhaps getting approval for Government regulated grow operations.

Honestly, the cannabis industry, both in marijuana and hemp, could be a major boon for Appalachia as a whole. There is some serious potential, there, for an economic boost for the region. That is, if the elites don't do with it what they did with coal by using and abusing the land and people of the region to line their pockets.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 08:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've stated before that if recreational marijuana was legal, I'd likely all but quit drinking alcohol all together.

Same.  Not sure if it would make me more able to tolerate people or even less social, though.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 09:32 PM)samhain Wrote: Same.  Not sure if it would make me more able to tolerate people or even less social, though.

Makes me very outgoing.  And more laid back during stressful situations.  As I stated, I was willing to relocate just so I wouldn't be a "criminal" anymore.  Ridiculous.

On a positive note.  Finally a thread in P&R where everyone seems to agree, and get along.  Maybe 'Holic needs to make a sub-forum on this.  Lol

Speaking of which, where is our leader?  I'd love to hear 'Holic's opinion on this subject.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 06:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Crap like that is why I tell people "I was born across the river from Cincinnati". It's much more polite than saying out loud "I'm from Kentucky".

One of my brothers friends growing up turned out to be the head of narcotics for a city I covered later on. He callede up one day to see if I was interested in covering a bath salts raid. Of course I was interested.

In the post raid intervoew, he was pretty clear that he wished people would just smoke pot instead of killing themselves (and others) with toxic chemicals. 

Not all cops hate on pot. A lot realize the alternatives are wayyyyyy worse.
Reply/Quote
Gettin' ugly in P&R again.  Let's talk about this some more.   Hilarious

*By the way, the laughing emoji is because reading all these threads after I have just, uh, medicated, is really freakin' funny!  Go back and read some of your posts, a few of you are hilarious to read.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 08:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, the cannabis industry, both in marijuana and hemp, could be a major boon for Appalachia as a whole. There is some serious potential, there, for an economic boost for the region. That is, if the elites don't do with it what they did with coal by using and abusing the land and people of the region to line their pockets.

I very much agree !
When I ran for State Rep, I pitched heavily for people to research and invest into hemp plastics.
My district has more than ample farmland, far too many empty manufacturing sites, and a reasonable workforce pool.
I did get to speak with Mr. Larry Householder, after the election.
He promised me (don't laugh too hard) that he would look into the industry for our district's sake and gave me his contact number.
I don't partake in marihuana, but I would have supported passing a bill for it's recreational use.
We are losing FAR too much revenue to the like's of Michigan. 
So many people are making trips there to buy it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 03:19 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I very much agree !
When I ran for State Rep, I pitched heavily for people to research and invest into hemp plastics.
My district has more than ample farmland, far too many empty manufacturing sites, and a reasonable workforce pool.
He promised me (don't laugh too hard) that he would look into the industry for our district's sake and gave me his contact number.
I don't partake in marihuana, but I would have supported passing a bill for it's recreational use.

Ha... Don't the damned fools know they can buy it right up the street?

Its basically legal here (about the same damage to your wallet and reputation as a traffic violation). I'm so set in my ways, and unimpressed by the trash that I've gotten ahold of from the dispensaries, that I'd still get it off my guys if it were legal recreationally.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
People in the old days saw marijuana as a drug common in the black and brown communities, so they saw it as evil because it wasn't being used by white people and used it to say that it made people violent.

Weed has never caused any harm to anyone, except when it has been treated and/or chemicals have been added to it, and is actually helpful in treating a lot of medical issues in the world.

It is the only way, aside from stem cells, which can cause cancer if not placed in the skull correctly (which they still don't know how to do), to regrow brain cells, and is the only way that I think clearly.

It can cure cancer and many other things, like the one disease where people hit themselves (the name escapes me right now).

Also, it's a GIANT moneymaker! Tax the hell out of it and you help cure a lot of this country's financial problems!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 03:19 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I very much agree !

Hell, make it legal only for medical use and people will start coming up with the most bullshit reasons to get it and it will still make a fortune!  

Gotta keep it out of the factories, though, where they treat it and add chemicals because that's what's killing people  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 01:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Gotta keep it out of the factories, though, where they treat it and add chemicals because that's what's killing people  ThumbsUp
Where do you get your information?

The prohibition of marijuana kills far more people than legalized marijuana grown by professionals. The cartels are the ones that are selling illegal, unregulated pot that is laced with pesticides and chemicals. It's illegal to have such chemicals in the professional grow houses here in Alaska and other states where legalized recreational pot is grown. Every batch must get tested for many things, THC level being one of them, before you can deliver it to the pot shops.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 02:12 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Where do you get your information?

The prohibition of marijuana kills far more people than legalized marijuana grown by professionals. The cartels are the ones that are selling illegal, unregulated pot that is laced with pesticides and chemicals. It's illegal to have such chemicals in the professional grow houses here in Alaska and other states where legalized recreational pot is grown. Every batch must get tested for many things, THC level being one of them, before you can deliver it to the pot shops.

People were dying from legalized pot.  How often did you hear of anyone dying from illegal weed?

Why would they lace it with chemicals and pesticides?  Do they want to kill their business by killing the consumers?

Here's a link telling about deaths from marijuana ecigarettes: 

(And vaping)

Quote:“We’re still looking into it.”

It’s the first death tied to a vaping product bought at a licensed marijuana dispensary.
U.S. health officials on Friday said they had identified 450 possible illnesses – including at least five deaths – in 33 states, related to e-cigarette and cannabis vaping use. The count includes newly reported deaths in California, Indiana and Minnesota.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 02:25 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: People were dying from legalized pot.  How often did you hear of anyone dying from illegal weed?

Why would they lace it with chemicals and pesticides?  Do they want to kill their business by killing the consumers?

Here's a link telling about deaths from marijuana ecigarettes: 

(And vaping)

Those are tied to vaping, though. They even mentioned it being tied to e-cigarettes, as well. That isn't a marijuana problem, it's a vaping problem. People aren't dying from bong rips of legal weed or even dosed gummies. It's the chemicals involved in that specific delivery method that are harmful.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 12:05 AM)jason Wrote: Ha... Don't the damned fools know they can buy it right up the street?

Its basically legal here (about the same damage to your wallet and reputation as a traffic violation). I'm so set in my ways, and unimpressed by the trash that I've gotten ahold of from the dispensaries, that I'd still get it off my guys if it were legal recreationally.

One of the big problems with illegal marijuana, though, is how it is often produced. Much of the illegal weed, the majority of it, comes from grow operations set up by cartels here in the US. They sit them up on public lands or on private lands they think are isolated enough. They divert water, pollute it, pollute the ground, cause harms to wildlife and people on the lands. These are the costs to illegal marijuana in the country.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 01:48 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: People in the old days saw marijuana as a drug common in the black and brown communities, so they saw it as evil because it wasn't being used by white people and used it to say that it made people violent.  

Weed has never caused any harm to anyone, except when it has been treated and/or chemicals have been added to it, and is actually helpful in treating a lot of medical issues in the world.

It is the only way, aside from stem cells, which can cause cancer if not placed in the skull correctly (which they still don't know how to do), to regrow brain cells, and is the only way that I think clearly.  

It can cure cancer and many other things, like the one disease where people hit themselves (the name escapes me right now).

Also, it's a GIANT moneymaker!  Tax the hell out of it and you help cure a lot of this country's financial problems!

Marijuana does not cure cancer. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 11:11 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Marijuana does not cure cancer. 

It's still in its infancy, but it can be used to treat cancer and slow the growth of some cancers.

What I was thinking, though, is it is used to help people going through chemotherapy and other treatments because it helps with pain and can also help people have an appetite (munchies).  
Reply/Quote