Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Years wine bottle opening
So last night the wife wanted to open a bottle of wine, but for some reason our cork screw(s) got up and walked away, probably via my alcoholic son when he left..
So anyway..I found a solution!
Enter one fat deck screw, a pair of large visegrips, a wooden bench vise and a screwdriver.. I drove the deck screw into the cork, squeezed the bottle in the vise, grabbed the screw with the visegrips, placed the screwdriver in the opening of the visegrips and VIOLA! My wife got slightly inebriated.. I don't drink so I enjoyed the reverse engineering of a bottle of wine cork..  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just sit Indian style and put the bottle in front of me. I play the clarinet and the cork comes out of the bottle by itself. Ninja

Reply/Quote
I have pushed corks down into the bottle before when I had no way to pull them out.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 01:14 PM)grampahol Wrote: So last night the wife wanted to open a bottle of wine, but for some reason our cork screw(s) got up and walked away, probably via my alcoholic son when he left..
Enter one fat deck screw, a pair of large visegrips, a wooden bench vise and a screwdriver.. I drove the deck screw into the cork, squeezed the bottle in the vise, grabbed the screw with the visegrips, placed the screwdriver in the opening of the visegrips and VIOLA! My wife got slightly inebriated.. I don't drink so I enjoyed the reverse engineering of a bottle of wine cork..  ThumbsUp

The same happened to me years ago when I was in the middle of a move between two houses.  I was distraught at the fact that the wine was currently with me but the corkscrew was 20 miles away late at night.  So a light bulb went off in my head...I put a screw in the cork and just pulled on the screw with a pair of channel locks.  It helps when you can think outside the box sometimes

Lucky you didnt crack the bottle in the vice but nice job thinking outside the box for a solution
Reply/Quote
Nail and a Hammer can do the trick in a pinch as well
Reply/Quote
That’s why I drink whiskey
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have pushed corks down into the bottle before when I had no way to pull them out.

That's fred - always looking for the rear door solution.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 01:14 PM)grampahol Wrote: So last night the wife wanted to open a bottle of wine, but for some reason our cork screw(s) got up and walked away, probably via my alcoholic son when he left..

Wine comes in bottles with corks?  Pissed
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 06:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That’s why I drink whiskey

So does my wife.  j/k  but I like this song, and thought I'd slip it in.

[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Way more professional then me. I once shredded a cork with a knife down into the wine itself. Then poured it out through a small orange juice strainer thingy I had just over the glass.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 10:27 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Way more professional then me. I once shredded a cork with a knife down into the wine itself. Then poured it out through a small orange juice strainer thingy I had just over the glass.

One time I was with some friends in the woods and all we had left to drink was pure grain alcohol, but we had ran out of the fruit punch we wer mixing it with.  All we had was water in a cooler from melted ice and coconut suntan lotions.  The lotion has aloe in it and I know people drink aloe for upset stomach.  We mixed up a batch and called them PGAcoladas.  

The water from the cooler was nasty we considered trying to strain it through something, but then we decided that the alcohol would kill any germs.

It was disgusting but we were like a pack of drunken animals. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 10:27 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Way more professional then me. I once shredded a cork with a knife down into the wine itself. Then poured it out through a small orange juice strainer thingy I had just over the glass.

sounds like something I'd do
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 09:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Wine comes in bottles with corks?  Pissed

Never had a problem opening mine:

[Image: MD_2020.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
That brings back memories bfine or should I say memory lapses. Oh those days of my youth.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have pushed corks down into the bottle before when I had no way to pull them out.

That's the easiest way, grab a wood handled kitchen spoon and shove it in there.  Just be aware that you are finishing the bottle where you are unless you have an extra cork or wine stopper around!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 02:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Never had a problem opening mine:

Ugh nothing takes you back your youth and the worst possible decisions than the Angry Puppy 20/20
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 02:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Never had a problem opening mine:

The first time I ever got sick from drinking it was on orange MD.

It was rough.  For years I could not even smell that stuff without gagging. 
Reply/Quote