Poll: Which coaching change are you most excited/intrigued about?
Lazor - permanent OC
Bicknell - WR
Pollack - OL
Livingstone - DB
Austin - DC
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New coach you're most excited about?
Looks like the coaching changes are pretty much done and dusted....so who are you most excited about?    or if excitement is too strong a word at least most intrigued about!?
Reply/Quote
I voted Austin for 1 reason. Not because I'm sold on him, but from what I am hearing, he's a disciplinarian. We lack discipline in this organization and I feel that is something we need to target in coaches. We've got talent bursting at the seems. However the lack of discipline kills all that.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bizarrely I am going Lazor despite the performance last year....sounds like he's got total control this time,  I liked the way he said the playbook was basically a composite of 3 previous OC - sounds like he's got his own views to change this, and he has his guys at OL and WR coaching now.

I don't know how anyone can't be excited about the guy who piloted our #32 ranked O!  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 07:59 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I voted Austin for 1 reason. Not because I'm sold on him, but from what I am hearing, he's a disciplinarian. We lack discipline in this organization and I feel that is something we need to target in coaches. We've got talent bursting at the seems. However the lack of discipline kills all that.

Yeah, to be honest I'm in the slightly underwhelmed camp regarding Austin.   Definitely not excited by that hire put it that way.

Aside from the discipline what I definitely do like about him though is that he has been to 3 superbowls as a position coach.  Bearing in  mind our playoff record and seeming lack of composure I like the fact that he's had success in preparing and advancing in the post season
Reply/Quote
Pollack. The oline has been holding this team back for 2 years. I’m excited to see if he can fix it.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 08:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pollack. The oline has been holding this team back for 2 years. I’m excited to see if he can fix it.

I can't get excited about him until we give him something to work with. Hopefully we do.
Reply/Quote
I voted for Pollack, not just because he's put a quality product on the field, but for the symbolism of the move. Mike Brown allowing Marvin to move on from Alexander was a huge concession of authority/power/say-so, or whatever you want to call it.

As a fan, by moving on from a "lifer", and going after and landing the very best replacement available, they showed me that they indeed want to change for the better.

My second choice is Austin. I fully believe that his authoritarian style and expertise with DBs is just what we need to bring our once proud secondary back to prominence.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack. Easily.

Paul Alexander was here for over twenty years. We were well past the point of needing a fresh start.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I voted Austin because I think this D could/has been good, but should have probably voted Pollack. Sunset hit on something there. The hiring of Pollack should be a home run. If for nothing more just the fact they reached out a hired a man who's last few seasons were a success according to anybody who's paid attention. We just have to give him something to work with.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 09:51 AM)R3stangs Wrote: I can't get excited about him until we give him something to work with. Hopefully we do.

Redmond and Westerman could be options going forward. They both played well at the end of the season.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 08:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pollack. The oline has been holding this team back for 2 years. I’m excited to see if he can fix it.

An aggressive OL coach can make a ton of difference.  Not sure if anyone else remembers this, but coming off the 2014 season, the Steelers OL was considered a huge liability.  What did they do about it?  They brought in a hard ass, Mike Munchak.  Not only did their OL gel together, as a unit, they started playing nasty.  Since then, their OL has risen to one of the most respected units in the league, resulting in them being a 3 Pro-Bowler unit this year.  

I'm not saying that we should expect similar results with Pollack, or that he even has the raw material here to make that happen, but a change in attitude can make a difference, by itself.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I predict Pollack will win in a landslide and not so much for who he is, but rather for who he replaced.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I went with Lazor. The whole offensive schemes needed to be done away with and finally someone stepped up and said enough is enough.

My least favorite change is Austin. Simply put, he sounds like Merv 2.0 He's not a man coverage guy, prefers zone. From his conference, he kept saying, everyone just needs to do better at their jobs, while that is true enough, it just reads like something out of Merv's book.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I went with Lazor. The whole offensive schemes needed to be done away with and finally someone stepped up and said enough is enough.

My least favorite change is Austin. Simply put, he sounds like Merv 2.0  He's not a man coverage guy, prefers zone. From his conference, he kept saying, everyone just needs to do better at their jobs, while that is true enough, it just reads like something out of Merv's book.

I think lazor with his retooled staff hopefully turns the offense around..

Austin's defenses are very good at generating turnovers.. He said he will use guys to their strength and built a scheme around the players more than forcing players to fit where they don't.  So I have hopes for the Defense too.

But a few positions we need to add talent too this offseason to make it all work.

but my Fav is Pollock as that is the biggest area of concern and we got the best guy out there
Reply/Quote
Voted Pollack and almost as excited about him as I was the dismissal of PA.

But like the Austin hire too and will be excited about Kitna if he comes.

Kitna may not be most exciting coming in and may have to grow into job some.

Yet will be an immediate fan favorite.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 08:00 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Bizarrely I am going Lazor despite the performance last year....sounds like he's got total control this time,  I liked the way he said the playbook was basically a composite of 3 previous OC - sounds like he's got his own views to change this, and he has his guys at OL and WR coaching now.

I don't know how anyone can't be excited about the guy who piloted our #32 ranked O!  

I also went with Lazor for much of the same reasons. He's getting to implement his offense with his guys. He pushed for the run blocking scheme switch this season, and Mixon and Bernard averaged 5.0 and 4.7 YPC respectively after that switch. I feel he's responsible for Pollack being here, so my excitement over that move just makes me happier about Lazor. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I went with Lazor. He struck a chord with me when he spoke about the playbook reading like it was pieced together by 3 different people and it had become non-cohesive. Things just didn't go together.

This made a ton of sense to me as he started explaining how it was a little of Jay, Hue, and then Zampese and they were all different. So, I'm excited to see what he does being able to bring in coaches he wants and for them to all be moving the same direction.

1b is the O Line coach, but he needs to get some players in there to work with. That will make a huge difference as well.
Reply/Quote
I'd still vote for Steve Logan as QB coach! Seems to have been successful with all the QBs he's worked with! Including Jeff Blake. Unfortunately, I believe he still is QB coach at 49ers.
Reply/Quote
The results are EXACTLY as I expected.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm gonna go with Austin, since we are not known as a defense team and we need to have a year where our defense will dominate the pits and brady.... our OC and OLC has an easier job with all the talent, with minor tweaks and good play calling and its back to business on offense. The defense, this is were it counts. The jaguars are IN the playoffs and won their first game thanks to their defense. The ravens were out of the playoffs thanks to their defense.
Reply/Quote