Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New drivers license
Anyone get one yet? I guess starting in Oct 2020 you are going to need one of these or a passport to fly domestically. It takes extra documentation to get one of these, and you can still get the standard one if you choose. I guess it's some anti-terror thing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Haven’t yet but soon, apparently you need a bunch of different documentation. Heard it’s harder for married women, something about needing extra document/s regarding birth last name and married last name (maybe marriage license?). Buddy did it and he said it wasn’t bad though. I will see soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 08:39 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: Haven’t yet but soon, apparently you need a bunch of different documentation. Heard it’s harder for married women, something about needing extra document/s regarding birth last name and married last name (maybe marriage license?). Buddy did it and he said it wasn’t bad though. I will see soon.

About time guys got a break! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Anyone get one yet?  I guess starting in Oct 2020 you are going to need one of these or a passport to fly domestically.  It takes extra documentation to get one of these, and you can still get the standard one if you choose.  I guess it's some anti-terror thing.

I always get burnt by the birth certificate thing.  You know how hard it is to get your certificate, when the hospital you were born in, had a fire in the records department and your mother lost hers??   Shocked
Reply/Quote
They are trying it here in KY a couple counties at a time. But it got pushed back 1 month.

I heard they are also required if you want to enter a Military base.

One question I have, I have TSA quick check because I have another form of ID registered and can obviously access a Military Base. So I wonder if I even need one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They are trying it here in KY a couple counties at a time. But it got pushed back 1 month.

I heard they are also required if you want to enter a Military base.

One question I have, I have TSA quick check because I have another form of ID registered and can obviously access a Military Base. So I wonder if I even need one.

I haven’t heard of the military base requirements. Some of our employees deliver fuel to bases and I will have to dive into this and find out. Some of them have a TWIC and you would think that would be sufficient, but there are reasons that lead me to believe it may not? Basically a Hazmat endorsement and a TWIC card endure the same fingerprinting and background checks, but you cannot use the same to qualify for the other and must get it done twice. Has never made sense.

Reply/Quote
So the situation is that you will only need the REAL-ID compatible license for entering a base or boarding a flight if you do not have another form of compliant identification. DoD ID cards, passports, and TWICs are accepted by TSA instead of a REAL ID license issued by your state, so it is likely that those would be acceptable in other instances as well.

As for getting the REAL ID, I got mine when I renewed in October here in Virginia, and other than a few extra pieces of paper to bring along it was a piece of cake. That being said, I do have my original birth certificate, SS card, and all sorts of things. So there is that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I was gonna get one but forgot a second piece of proof of address and decided I didn't want to wait at the DMV a different day. I'll get it next time and will just have to travel with my passport until then.
Reply/Quote
So I did get a new compliant license. My old license, a W-2, and birth certificate were sufficient. Somewhere online there is an Ohio checklist, and you click the documents you have and when all the checks are filled in you are good to go. I do believe married women who changed their name need a marriage certificate.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I'm refusing to get one. You shouldn't need travel papers in the US.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 03:19 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm refusing to get one. You shouldn't need travel papers in the US.

All you have to do is tell TSA that and they'll let you right through.

Reply/Quote
Got mine. Took my birth certificate, SS card and a utility bill. Didnt even have to take the eye test again.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 03:19 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm refusing to get one. You shouldn't need travel papers in the US.

Pretty sure you're free to travel wherever you want in the US. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure you're free to travel wherever you want in the US. 

Agreed. You just won't be able to fly without their unnecessary identification. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. You just won't be able to fly without their unnecessary identification. 

I mean you have to have it now.  I'm not sure what this particular one is aimed at though.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I mean you have to have it now.  I'm not sure what this particular one is aimed at though.

The issue was getting a drivers license wasn't standardized across states so getting a fake one in some states was easier than in others. This is basically setting a base level across all states on what is needed so that way there is an expectation of a certain level of vetting when someone hands TSA an ID at the checkpoint that wasn't currently there. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. You just won't be able to fly without their unnecessary identification. 

with all the fraud going on... Its helps protect you as well.  hardly would call it unnecessary
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 08:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I mean you have to have it now.  I'm not sure what this particular one is aimed at though.

(03-26-2019, 03:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: The issue was getting a drivers license wasn't standardized across states so getting a fake one in some states was easier than in others. This is basically setting a base level across all states on what is needed so that way there is an expectation of a certain level of vetting when someone hands TSA an ID at the checkpoint that wasn't currently there. 

Yeah, there were some vehicular deaths related to illegal immigrants. The solution was to make drivers licenses more difficult to get.

Hence, the unnecessary legislation.

(03-26-2019, 06:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: with all the fraud going on... Its helps protect you as well.  hardly would call it unnecessary

Fraud how? I've been the victim of identity theft (thanks best buy and att). Neither one had to do with me having turn fork over dna for a damn drivers license.*

* Yeah,it's not that bad but it's still damn ridiculous and completely unnecessary. It's all unnecessary theatrics to make you feel safe.
Reply/Quote