Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New face returning punts
They have Jessie Bates returning punts at practice today

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:05 PM)pally Wrote: They have Jessie Bates returning punts at practice today

Why? I thought Taylor was doing a nice job.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why? I thought Taylor was doing a nice job.

they still need a back up.  I want as many guys capable of returning punts getting a chance to practice. Apparently, he returned punts in college.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why? I thought Taylor was doing a nice job.

Might be a PS thing.  We might have to sign Taylor if we call him up again. That is just a guess.  Though with Tate out, we might as well. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:05 PM)pally Wrote: They have Jessie Bates returning punts at practice today

He can't catch for shit. This is asking for trouble...
Reply/Quote
make him earn that next contract
Reply/Quote
no returns, just get a solid receiver to call fair catch all the time or get out of the way.. no need to run it back.
There's always a greater chance to muffle the catch/fumble than to return it for a TD. Just fair catch it or gamble it and let it roll into the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: no returns, just get a solid receiver to call fair catch all the time or get out of the way.. no need to run it back.
There's always a greater chance to muffle the catch/fumble than to return it for a TD. Just fair catch it or gamble it and let it roll into the end zone.

A big return can be the difference in a game.. I don't like the **** it approach...
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:17 PM)Tony Wrote: A big return can be the difference in a game.. I don't like the **** it approach...

Yeah, but auditioning Bates is not encouraging to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:14 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Might be a PS thing.  We might have to sign Taylor if we call him up again. That is just a guess.  Though with Tate out, we might as well. 

When everyone returns from the COVID list then someone already is getting cut if nothing else happens between now and then.  My guess is that player will be Williams because they don't need to carry 4 RBs.  Then if they activate XSF they have to cut someone else.  Bringing on Taylor, which they are likely to do if they can't elevate him for COVID reasons, means another trade off.  Decisions they will push off until forced to make them.

I think Bates is working out as a look/see not necessarily as anything immediate

Reply/Quote
Ehhh I’ve seen a couple of picks bounce off his hands this year. Don’t have a ton of confidence in this if he ever sees the field for returns. Boyd is a good backup if needed. Bates better be somewhere around option 4-5 now even after the injuries ahead of him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the intent is to have him return punts or have him ready just in case another body is needed?
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:36 PM)pally Wrote:

Is it just me, or does it seem like he was at least a second faster in college??  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 04:36 PM)pally Wrote:

Well hot damn. I never bothered to look up back in that 2018 draft if Bates actually ever did returns. I just thought he was a good candidate at safety.

Apparently, Bates had 27 PRs across 24 games (2016-2017) for a 8.7 YPR and 1 TD. His average his final year was 17.9(!!!!)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This off-season I hope Chris Evans puts in some work as a Kick/Punt Returner so he can be in that competition next training camp.

Edit: Apprently he had 1 return at each spot in 2016 so he has practiced as a returner in college.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2021, 05:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well hot damn. I never bothered to look up back in that 2018 draft if Bates actually ever did returns. I just thought he was a good candidate at safety.

Apparently, Bates had 27 PRs across 24 games (2016-2017) for a 8.7 YPR and 1 TD. His average his final year was 17.9(!!!!)

Yeah, I knew Bates was a good Returner at Wake before we drafted him. This doesn't surprise me at all. Happy he is dropping
stuff in practice to get that out of his game in case we need him for the real thing if Taylor goes down or something else bad 
happens. I would use Boyd first but i think Bates might be the bigger play Returner or even use Chris Evans.

Taylor should be getting return duties unless he gets hurt, this is just an insurance move. If we have a lead I like Boyd with his
sure hands where he just waves a fair catch if we need it.
Reply/Quote