Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New faces on D
Dunlap - Atkins - Reader - Wren - Brown- Toupo - Glasgow - Hubbard - Lawson - Kareem

Davis-Gaither - Bynes - Pratt-  Wilson - Bailey

Waynes - Alexander - Bell - Williams - Bates - Jackson III

Just looking at our main guys on defense. That's alot of new faces.

By the time the season starts, we'll only have 1 LB from last year. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 04:06 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: By the time the season starts, we'll only have 1 LB from last year. 

Thank the lord. Long overdue. I'm super excited to find new favorites among this new look D. Hoping the new faces make it easier to forget the past 2 years of absolute incompetence.

My early favorite is Logan Wilson. I like this video review on how he got where he is today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWGHm6v6Yg

I love the highlight at 3:03, nothing like doing everything yourself. also, he shows up in his biggest games. He had some of his greatest moments against BSU, who is typically the team to beat in the MW.
Reply/Quote
I do not have a problem with keeping Jordan Evans as a back up depth guy if he is making back up guy money.
Reply/Quote
The last two years we ranked 29th and 32nd in defense. I felt we had a lot of talent that was underachieving, but with those results we definitely needed more than just "minor adjustments".

I am not sure Waynes and Alexander will be big upgrades over Kirkpatrick and Dennard, but both Dre and Darquez have not been able to stay healthy. Bynes is a career backup who I don't see as a big help.

But Reader and Bell should have big impacts, so if one of the rookies LB can play well as a rookie the defense should be MUCH better.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 04:06 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote:
Dunlap - Atkins - Reader - Wren - Brown- Toupo - Glasgow - Hubbard - Lawson - Kareem

Davis-Gaither - Bynes - Pratt-  Wilson - Bailey

Waynes - Alexander - Bell - Williams - Bates - Jackson III

Just looking at our main guys on defense. That's alot of new faces.

By the time the season starts, we'll only have 1 LB from last year. 

What about Darius Phillips in the secondary?  Dude was a bright light in a dim season last year.  Too his opportunity and ended up with 4 picks in just 8 games.  
Reply/Quote
Yeah but...are there gonna be any new faces on the cheerleading squad?  Nervous
[Image: 264257.jpg]
Actually they're not as bad as they used to be..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The last two years we ranked 29th and 32nd in defense.  I felt we had a lot of talent that was underachieving, but with those results we definitely needed more than just "minor adjustments".

I am not sure Waynes and Alexander will be big upgrades over Kirkpatrick and Dennard, but both Dre and Darquez have not been able to stay healthy.  Bynes is a career backup who I don't see as a big help.

But Reader and Bell should have big impacts, so if one of the rookies LB can play well as a rookie the defense should be MUCH better.

We have been pretty dismissive of the early-down LB in Bynes, but I really like his acquisition.  For one, the guy has a Super Bowl Ring...and he didn't just get a ring for being there.  He was one of the reasons why they won.  He has always been doubted, or underappreciated, but comes in and balls and makes people look foolish for not appreciating him.  An UDFA that grades out in the mid 70s? When have we seen that here out of a LB in recent history?   Pratt barely broke 50 last year and we were all excited (I think) about his play by the end of the season.  

Bynes is a veteran, lunch-pail worker that has a lot of experience.  He can line up at SAM in base, and move up to rush the passer without changing personnel.  Oh, and he got two INTs last year.  That was more than all of our CBs except one.  
Reply/Quote
I don’t think we’ll be great defensively, but we hopefully won’t be god awful. If we can finish somewhere around the middle of the league that will be a big win in my book. Linebackers are going to be awfully young. I’d still like to bring in one more veteran.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The last two years we ranked 29th and 32nd in defense. I felt we had a lot of talent that was underachieving, but with those results we definitely needed more than just "minor adjustments".

I am not sure Waynes and Alexander will be big upgrades over Kirkpatrick and Dennard, but both Dre and Darquez have not been able to stay healthy. Bynes is a career backup who I don't see as a big help.

I feel like we’ve had terrible linebackers an overall lack of quality depth, and mediocre cornerback play.
Reply/Quote
I'm really excited to see what Lou can do now with his players.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We have been pretty dismissive of the early-down LB in Bynes, but I really like his acquisition.  For one, the guy has a Super Bowl Ring...and he didn't just get a ring for being there.  He was one of the reasons why they won.  He has always been doubted, or underappreciated, but comes in and balls and makes people look foolish for not appreciating him.  An UDFA that grades out in the mid 70s? When have we seen that here out of a LB in recent history?   Pratt barely broke 50 last year and we were all excited (I think) about his play by the end of the season.  

Bynes is a veteran, lunch-pail worker that has a lot of experience.  He can line up at SAM in base, and move up to rush the passer without changing personnel.  Oh, and he got two INTs last year.  That was more than all of our CBs except one.  

Agreed..I don't think everyone on this  board sees the true value Bynes will bring. A steady Vet presence with a Superbowl on his resume.    
All the new rookies, ADG, Wilson, Baily will be soaking it up and will have only this a baseline instead of the old way.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:05 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I don’t think we’ll be great defensively, but we hopefully won’t be god awful. If we can finish somewhere around the middle of the league that will be a big win in my book. Linebackers are going to be awfully young. I’d still like to bring in one more veteran.

Yep

We've been one of the worst D's in the NFL last few seasons. if we make it to the middle of the pack it would be huge jump, and i believe we will.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What about Darius Phillips in the secondary?  Dude was a bright light in a dim season last year.  Too his opportunity and ended up with 4 picks in just 8 games.  

Yep. forgot about him  ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 11:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  He has always been doubted, or underappreciated, but comes in and balls and makes people look foolish for not appreciating him. 

No he doesn't.  If he did that then he would have been able to keep a job somewhere.  And the two teams that have signed him to multi-year deals feel foolish because they ended up cutting him in the second season of the deal.
Reply/Quote
The way they've remade this defense in one off season is truly astonishing.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he doesn't.  If he did that then he would have been able to keep a job somewhere.  And the two teams that have signed him to multi-year deals feel foolish because they ended up cutting him in the second season of the deal.

We used to have this neighbor named Bob who was a real peckerhead.   We had a dog who loved everyone he ever met but Bob, even though Bob never did a thing to him.  He hated Bob so much that he would jump up and growl at the mere mention of his name.  

Josh Bynes is your Bob.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm excited for the prospects of just how good this group can be. I really don't think that they be stone cold shutting teams down, right out of the gate though. Not only will we have rookies from an assortment of college teams joining, but defensively we've added veteran players from 4 different organizations. It's going to take some time for them all to get to know, get comfortable with, and build trust in each other's playing styles.

If this group can stay healthy, gel together as a unit, and build momentum as the year goes on? Coach Lou will have done a tremendous job.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
"We just have to tackle better and make plays. " That was our plan under Marvin for too long. My hats off to Lou for flipping the roster the way he has. He went out and got guys who are known to be very good tacklers. That is how you get it fixed. Its nice to see a real approach to this nagging problem. Also, he wants high character guys who are natural leaders. Love that. Lou is the man. I really hope he leads this D to great things and becomes a great DC.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he doesn't.  If he did that then he would have been able to keep a job somewhere.  And the two teams that have signed him to multi-year deals feel foolish because they ended up cutting him in the second season of the deal.

Says Fred the pessimist...Steve the optimist notes how when the young talent was not getting the job done, he was brought back to help solve the issue and help he did.   

It isn't always about performance; there are tons of variables:  new coaches, new schemes, cap costs, high draft picks needing to get on the field....

Bynes will help this team.  I am glad he is here.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 02:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Says Fred the pessimist...Steve the optimist notes how when the young talent was not getting the job done, he was brought back to help solve the issue and help he did.   

It isn't always about performance; there are tons of variables:  new coaches, new schemes, cap costs, high draft picks needing to get on the field....

Bynes will help this team.  I am glad he is here.  

I view Bynes more as a safety net to hold down the fort while the rookies transition into full time players.  I think that his experience in a 3-4 system will definitely help as the Bengals transition to their hybrid style.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote