Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New faces on D
(04-26-2020, 04:06 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote:
Dunlap - Atkins - Reader - Wren - Brown- Toupo - Glasgow - Hubbard - Lawson - Kareem

Davis-Gaither - Bynes - Pratt-  Wilson - Bailey

Waynes - Alexander - Bell - Williams - Bates - Jackson III

Just looking at our main guys on defense. That's alot of new faces.

By the time the season starts, we'll only have 1 LB from last year. 

I think I agree with most of this. But Bailey will probably end up on the PS. Still think Evans makes it over him, but wouldn't be shocked if Evans is cut.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he doesn't.  If he did that then he would have been able to keep a job somewhere.  And the two teams that have signed him to multi-year deals feel foolish because they ended up cutting him in the second season of the deal.

You're wrong there Fred. Baltimore wanted him back and they were fighting for his services. Bengals won out by paying him more. Baltimore obviously would want him back. They drafted LB's in the draft as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 02:12 PM)bengaloo Wrote: "We just have to tackle better and make plays. "  That was our plan under Marvin for too long. My hats off to Lou for flipping the roster the way he has. He went out and got guys who are known to be very good tacklers. That is how you get it fixed. Its nice to see a real approach to this nagging problem. Also, he wants high character guys who are natural leaders. Love that. Lou is the man. I really hope he leads this D to great things and becomes a great DC.

I had to triple check who wrote this. Sounds exactly like something Nate would type. Nice post.

Reply/Quote
Dunlap - Atkins - Reader - Wren - Brown- Toupo - Glasgow - Hubbard - Lawson - Kareem

Nice. Cool 

Will be really interesting seeing how Lou puts all these pieces together and what his plan is. I thought we were going to a 3-4
hybrid until the Kareem pick and then thought it might be more of a 3-3-5 after this more often. Should be very unpredictable 
on Defense with all these players and the way Lou can use them.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he doesn't.  If he did that then he would have been able to keep a job somewhere.  And the two teams that have signed him to multi-year deals feel foolish because they ended up cutting him in the second season of the deal.

Josh Bynes has been the guy teams bring in to hold down an ILB but are always looking to upgrade. He's smart, instinctive, and is solid in his run fits but his lack of speed and athleticism makes him a liability in man coverage.

He's a great add in a LB room with alot of young players, and he knows the AFC North.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

They've really concentrated on guys who can stop the run and tackle...2 things that have plagued this defense for the past few years. It's so demoralizing to watch a defense get run all over, time after time, and not able to do anything about it. Even worse is watching plays / drives get extended because tackles are being missed all over the field. Just frustrating as hell to watch.

If all these additions can shore up the tackling issues and can contain the run much more successfully, then Lou will have a lot more options in terms of blitzing and coverages. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this revamped defense takes shape this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 02:31 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You're wrong there Fred. Baltimore wanted him back and they were fighting for his services. Bengals won out by paying him more. Baltimore obviously would want him back. They drafted LB's in the draft as well.

We signed him for close to the league minimum.  So Ravens were not trying to hard to re-sign him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 02:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I had to triple check who wrote this. Sounds exactly like something Nate would type. Nice post.

Bengaloo and I both thank you for this post Harley, thanks man. Rock On
Reply/Quote
if the Defense plays like they did at the end of Last season then this team will surprise a lot of people including Homers on this board. I'm going to get a ton of heat for saying this but I wouldn't be that shocked if we're in the AFC championship game next season. Of course health will have a lot to say in that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:02 PM)J24 Wrote: if the Defense plays like they did at the end of Last season then this team will surprise a lot of people including Homers on this board. I'm going to get a ton of heat for saying this but I wouldn't be that shocked if we're in the AFC championship game next season. Of course health will have a lot to say in that.

Someone like TLL would say that late last season when the Defense played decent they were against crappy Offenses.

But with adding Reader, Waynes, Alexander, Vonn Bell, Logan Wilson, Davis-Gaither, Kareem, Bailey this Defense is stacked.

And Burrow and Higgins on Offense with AJ, Boyd, Ross and Tate to go along with the best ST's unit in the league that just got
better? I am not giving you no heat J24, anything is possible, especially after this Offseason. What makes this the most possible
after this is adding XSF and Adeniji with Jonah coming back and the way the OL improved late last season.
Reply/Quote
This defense got automatically Better after the
Departures of Brown and Vigil
I'm perplexed why it took this franchise so long
To figure out it had to overhaul the LBers
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 08:36 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This defense got automatically Better after the
Departures of Brown and Vigil
I'm perplexed why it took this franchise so long
To figure out it had to overhaul the LBers

Guess Zac had to have a year to see it and tell them whats up.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 04:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Josh Bynes has been the guy teams bring in to hold down an ILB but are always looking to upgrade. He's smart, instinctive, and is solid in his run fits but his lack of speed and athleticism makes him a liability in man coverage.

He's a great add in a LB room with alot of young players, and he knows the AFC North.

While listening to the "locked on Bengals Podcast", which is excellent BTW, when Bynes was signed they covered his ratings for his career and, ironically, his pass defense ratings have gone up each year, with last year being his career high.  I don't remember the exact rating (PFF) but I know it was higher than anyone on this roster.  

That being said, I completely agree with your first statement.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We signed him for close to the league minimum.  So Ravens were not trying to hard to re-sign him.

Seems obvious the Ravens defense got better when he arrived and will be a steady influence and mentor for our D. Not sure how anyone could argue that point.

Quote:The 30-year-old ended the season as Pro Football Focus’ sixth-rated linebacker, though he averaged less than 33 defensive snaps per game, sharing time with Fort.
Quote:“Josh is a good, good football player," coach John Harbaugh said last season. "He’s a [middle linebacker] by trade. He played the position all those years, so he brought a lot of experience to the table. He still has it physically. He’s really the same player that he’s always been. It’s a tribute to him that he is there and [has] played good football for us.”

Ravens Should Resign Bynes

Quote:Bynes quietly had one of the strongest seasons among linebackers. His PFF grade of 79.4 ranked sixth among linebackers this season. This is not an isolated occurrence, either; he had a PFF rating of 75.3 with the Cardinals in 2018. That included a run defense grade of 80.2.
Quote:While Bynes is a good run defender, he really stood out in pass coverage. Opponets had a passer rating of only 47.4, when targeting him. Let's compare that to his fellow inside linebackers.
Opponent passer rating when targeted
  • Josh Bynes: 47.4
  • L.J. Fort: 84.1
  • Patrick Onwuasor: 118.6
  • Chris Board: 118.7
In addition, Bynes had a career-high two interceptions.
Reply/Quote