Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New offense under Taylor, whats it look like ?
What's it look like????

[Image: ap_bears_browns_football_84860354.jpg?]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 01:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If he were an OC I could see him staying in LA or looking elsewhere. Right now it seems like we are a safe bet to land him because we are willing to invest early on him.  From QB coach to HC is a pretty big promotion and we wouldn't get him if we didn't offer him practically everything before anyone else does.

I'm all for the change around here, but I also realize we are going way overboard to make our coaching staff the antithesis of what it was before.  Could be a wise investment where we get in on the bottom floor and it could be as bad as making a QB coach ad HC overnight.  Time will tell 

If I were a bettin man,I would bet the saints are going to win out and the rams will be out of it this weekend.Its going to be a tossup on this game.With the saints having Michael Thomas wide receiver,no one is going to stop that dude,he will be the MVP of the super bowl.The saints are balanced across the board and I will be surprised if the rams beat them.Anything is possible,however,I would NEVER bet against the saints on this one.I do hope that the rams get a ring though.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 01:09 PM)NKURyan Wrote: So what? He should primarily be doing two things on the field:
1) Running in a straight line down the field as fast as he can.
2) Catching screen passes and running reverses to get him in space.

Our coaching staff basically didn't let him do either all year, and IMO #2 is the most glaring of the two.

IMO if the Bengals have things go the way they want he is just their 4th receiving option anyways (behind Green, Boyd, and Eifert). He'll be bang or bust from game to game through his whole career but I still think there's a place for him here.
1. Relying on a healthy Eifert is just asinine.
2. Rams very rarely use go routes for their wideouts. Mostly crossing patterns n screens. I’ve watched them a lot this year since they are on tv here.
3. Ross is Simpson 2.0
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 1. Relying on a healthy Eifert is just asinine.  
2. Rams very rarely use go routes for their wideouts. Mostly crossing patterns n screens.  I’ve watched them a lot this year since they are on tv here.
3. Ross is Simpson 2.0

Thanks for turning this into another in the long line of how bad John Ross is threads.  You couldn't get your daily ragging on him quota in one of the dozens of other threads about him?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I foresee

Run's, Passes and kicks as part of our new offense.

So good news we don't gotta change our song
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 1. Relying on a healthy Eifert is just asinine.  
2. Rams very rarely use go routes for their wideouts. Mostly crossing patterns n screens.  I’ve watched them a lot this year since they are on tv here.
3. Ross is Simpson 2.0

Watch your mouth.. Ross has not done any cool flips into the endzone to be a better simpson.  Simpson even nailed the landing.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:10 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: If I were a bettin man,I would bet the saints are going to win out and the rams will be out of it this weekend.Its going to be a tossup on this game.With the saints having Michael Thomas wide receiver,no one is going to stop that dude,he will be the MVP of the super bowl.The saints are balanced across the board and I will be surprised if the rams beat them.Anything is possible,however,I would NEVER bet against the saints on this one.I do hope that the rams get a ring though.

The Rams have Michael Thomas, wide receiver too.

He can also not be stopped and will be the MVP of the Super Bowl.

Got it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
All these plays the article shows/describes feature competent blocking, something the Bengals could not do consistently this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 11:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/17/18179634/film-room-what-zac-taylors-offense-in-cincinnati-could-look-like-in-2019

I'm just so pumped about finally getting a breath of fresh air in the offense ! We have been so stale and boring these last couple seasons. Funny how they talk in this article about actually using Ross like he should be and Neglecting Mixon in the pass game. Same stuff we complain about on here.

I just can't wait to see how it all unfolds ! Wonder what Andy is thinking ?

Been watching Gurley in that Offense and he doesn't just beat you in the run game, he can beat a team through the air just as effectively. Mixon is the perfect back for this also and it is not like AJ Green and Tyler Boyd are any worse than the Rams #1 and #2. This simplifies the Offense as they run a lot of the same plays just out of different formations.

We need to solidify the O-line and draft a TE somewhere in the 3rd or 4th rounds, very deep at TE this Draft.
Reply/Quote
3. Ross is Simpson 2.0

Which bodes well for 18 and 83. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:44 PM)likwit19 Wrote: All these plays the article shows/describes feature competent blocking, something the Bengals could not do consistently this season.

True, hopefully new coaching addresses this.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 1. Relying on a healthy Eifert is just asinine.
2. Rams very rarely use go routes for their wideouts. Mostly crossing patterns n screens. I’ve watched them a lot this year since they are on tv here.
3. Ross is Simpson 2.0

Funny as i think Ross would be much better in crossing patterns and screens, not just go routes. The QB has to have time to throw go routes and Dalton had none of this the last two years. BTW, Ross is nothing like Simpson, crazy comparison. Simpson was a big handed athlete that could jump and liked to smoke weed. I don't even know much similar between the two.

(01-17-2019, 02:44 PM)likwit19 Wrote: All these plays the article shows/describes feature competent blocking, something the Bengals could not do consistently this season.

You know coaching is a big deal, you can teach players to block....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Funny as i think Ross would be much better in crossing patterns and screens, not just go routes. The QB has to have time to throw go routes and Dalton had none of this the last two years. BTW, Ross is nothing like Simpson, crazy comparison. Simpson was a big handed athlete that could jump and liked to smoke weed. I don't even know much similar between the two.

You know coaching is a big deal, you can teach players to block....

Yeah I also agree Ross will do better with screens n crossing patterns but the learning curve is what I’m worried about. I’m comparing Ross to Simpson just due to the fact they have above average athleticism but not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:18 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yeah I also agree Ross will do better with screens n crossing patterns but the learning curve is what I’m worried about. I’m comparing Ross to Simpson just due to the fact they have above average athleticism but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ross definately has had a problem catching on mentally but who is to say it was cause of Lazor's Offense being too complicated and changing up the scheme his first two years in the league? Here we go again but the Rams Offense is simple and lets the players do what they do best. This might be just what the Doctor ordered for Ross.

I thought it was stupid in his rookie season when they lined him up at the edge of the Line and expected him to block Linebackers but on the outside against Corners he could handle his own. Just have to coach up this aspect of the game to all the WR's in the new scheme Taylor implements.
Reply/Quote
The rams use a lot of deep crossing patterns in their offense and this would actually benefit Ross more than running straight vertical. The issue with going vertical is it relies on you running the "line" and not getting squeezed to the sideline by the CB. When you get squeezed it causes a lot of missed completions down the field because balls get put out of bounds because the QB has to put it away from the CB. With deep crossing concepts you get the depth your looking for but it is more of a diagonal direction which allows the WR to create separation laterally and then go straight into RAC. They do this at a shallower depth as well with what's called a mesh concept. It's essentially running drags from both sides of the field towards each other. This also allows for more RAC but has the added bonus of creating organic picks when facing man coverage.

Where the Rams as a whole excel isn't in any special concepts it's in how they convey it. They basically run two running plays all game they are stretch zone running plays that let Gurley push the edge or cut back down the seam when teams over pursue. All play action comes off these two plays which means teams get no tells from the play action itself. They will use a lot of motions and formations, but in the end the offense is very simple they just make it look a lot more complicated than it really is through their window dressing.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ross definately has had a problem catching on mentally but who is to say it was cause of Lazor's Offense being too complicated and changing up the scheme his first two years in the league? Here we go again but the Rams Offense is simple and lets the players do what they do best. This might be just what the Doctor ordered for Ross.

I thought it was stupid in his rookie season when they lined him up at the edge of the Line and expected him to block Linebackers but on the outside against Corners he could handle his own. Just have to coach up this aspect of the game to all the WR's in the new scheme Taylor implements.

The maddening thing is if you look at what he did so well in college, why did the Bengals do none of it?  Makes no sense.  When they ran him deep, it was usually to the middle of the field.  They seldom ran him down the sidelines when they sent him deep.

There just seemed to be too much of this is our offense, we're gonna just fit him into it.  If that was the intent, then drafting him truly was a stupid move.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:33 PM)McC Wrote: The maddening thing is if you look at what he did so well in college, why did the Bengals do none of it?  Makes no sense.  When they ran him deep, it was usually to the middle of the field.  They seldom ran him down the sidelines when they sent him deep.

There just seemed to be too much of this is our offense, we're gonna just fit him into it.  If that was the intent, then drafting him truly was a stupid move.

Getting a clean release off the line in the pro's is much different then in college. I mentioned that in my assessment of him coming out. I was concerned with his ability to beat press man early and thought he'd be best used in motion from stacked formations. The other area of struggle since he has been in the NFL is sight adjustments to coverages. He was never asked to read coverages in college and his created issues with his ability to make changes on the fly and him and Andy to be on the same page.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The rams use a lot of deep crossing patterns in their offense and this would actually benefit Ross more than running straight vertical. The issue with going vertical is it relies on you running the "line" and not getting squeezed to the sideline by the CB. When you get squeezed it causes a lot of missed completions down the field because balls get put out of bounds because the QB has to put it away from the CB. With deep crossing concepts you get the depth your looking for but it is more of a diagonal direction which allows the WR to create separation laterally and then go straight into RAC. They do this at a shallower depth as well with what's called a mesh concept. It's essentially running drags from both sides of the field towards each other. This also allows for more RAC but has the added bonus of creating organic picks when facing man coverage.

Where the Rams as a whole excel isn't in any special concepts it's in how they convey it. They basically run two running plays all game they are stretch zone running plays that let Gurley push the edge or cut back down the seam when teams over pursue. All play action comes off these two plays which means teams get no tells from the play action itself. They will use a lot of motions and formations, but in the end the offense is very simple they just make it look a lot more complicated than it really is through their window dressing.

McVay also likes the slot wheel route. Begins like a shallow cross then turns it upfield.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:41 PM)Synric Wrote: McVay also likes the slot wheel route. Begins like a shallow cross then turns it upfield.

This is a great concept with a backside post to the wheel side from tight against cover three. It takes the outside third defender inside leaving the wheel open down the sideline. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is a great concept with a backside post to the wheel side from tight against cover three. It takes the outside third defender inside leaving the wheel open down the sideline. 

Which isn't an different than just running the shallow cross. It's just an extra wrinkle to the same play.

Edit: Both would be excellent plays for John Ross.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote