Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New offense under Taylor, whats it look like ?
(01-17-2019, 08:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I'm late to the game, again.  And, as usual, all the good things have already been said.

However, I will add that from what I saw in the highlighted plays, if we're going to somewhat resemble the Rams Offense, I'm as happy as I can be.  This can only mean that the OL is going to get a hell of a lot better, in a short period of time.   ThumbsUp

Yes sir the Oline is kinda the wild card. I think we have a lot of the other pieces necessary. Let's hope they focus on fixing the line and we can see this whole thing come together.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 08:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes sir the Oline is kinda the wild card. I think we have a lot of the other pieces necessary. Let's hope they focus on fixing the line and we can see this whole thing come together.

Yeah, Wyche's Warrior had it right, in his thread about "us dumb message board people must have been right".  The same things that many of us on here have been talking about for years, are finally coming into the primary focus of the Management.  Basically, it boils down to "you can't build a serious contender, by only putting emphasis on Marquis positions.  It also takes quality stock in the fundamental positions like blockers and tacklers.". And it also extends into coaching. You can't expect great things, by doing the same things that haven't worked, over and over. It's good to see that Management has finally seen the light that in order to field a winner, it's going to take a modern football mind.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 06:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Daniel Jones doesn’t bring the name or flash as other QBs but he looks really good. Kinda like Mitch Trubisky is who I compare too.  I’d take Jones in a heart beat.  3 qb will go too 10 in the draft.

That's not a bad comparison. He looks like a solid guy that is likely a safer prospect in this particular draft. I hate to say that in the midst of the perceived risks we're taking now, but if we take a QB this year, he'd be my guy. I'm with you, I'd take him in a flash. If not, gimme Sunshine in a couple years.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 08:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, Wyche's Warrior had it right, in his thread about "us dumb message board people must have been right".  The same things that many of us on here have been talking about for years, are finally coming into the primary focus of the Management.  Basically, it boils down to "you can't build a serious contender, by only putting emphasis on Marquis positions.  It also takes quality stock in the fundamental positions like blockers and tacklers.".  And it also extends into coaching.  You can't expect great things, by doing the same things that haven't worked, over and over.  It's good to see that Management has finally seen the light that in order to field a winner, it's going to take a modern football mind.

Ha! Appreciate it sir. Yes, I'm enjoying the heck out of this move into 21st century football. I'm hoping it coincides with the realization we must build the trenches.  It's just all we've talked about for a decade or so...lol.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ha! Appreciate it sir. Yes, I'm enjoying the heck out of this move into 21st century football. I'm hoping it coincides with the realization we must build the trenches.  It's just all we've talked about for a decade or so...lol.

You know, it's almost kinda funny.  All of the modern offensive game plans, all of the exotic defensive schemes, it seems like football is so evolved from what it once was.  But, one ageless principle still rings true.  The team that blocks and tackles better than their opponent is going to win the game, most of the time.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You know, it's almost kinda funny.  All of the modern offensive game plans, all of the exotic defensive schemes, it seems like football is so evolved from what it once was.  But, one ageless principle still rings true.  The team that blocks and tackles better than their opponent is going to win the game, most of the time.

Absolutely. I find it funny that offenses are dumbing down as far as actual plays are concerned, but the sets and motions are becoming more diverse and complex to disguise the simplicity. Yet.....they're more explosive than ever. 

I'm often lost on defense though....lol.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You know, it's almost kinda funny.  All of the modern offensive game plans, all of the exotic defensive schemes, it seems like football is so evolved from what it once was.  But, one ageless principle still rings true.  The team that blocks and tackles better than their opponent is going to win the game, most of the time.

That's why how to tackle and how to block are the first things we teach kids.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:21 PM)Synric Wrote: That's why how to tackle and how to block are the first things we teach kids.

Troof

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 09:02 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ha! Appreciate it sir. Yes, I'm enjoying the heck out of this move into 21st century football. I'm hoping it coincides with the realization we must build the trenches.  It's just all we've talked about for a decade or so...lol.

As a fan, it has truly stunk trying to rationalize each year. You find a way to support and find faith through b.s. articles from Hobspin and other wannabe writers and a few good conversations from others on here, searching for the same. We try to find a way to hope because it’s the Bengals. Now? We really got some stuff to be excited about. Even if we fail miserably, this is the most excited I’ve been in awhile.

Reply/Quote

Yep the basics and we've stunk at the basics of late.
Reply/Quote

Yes. We stunk at both which is a lack of discipline and accountability. How many times have we seen players get excuses from the old regime on why they’re not doing their job, and then come out the next several weeks with the same or worse results? Totally agree with you.

(01-17-2019, 09:20 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Absolutely. I find it funny that offenses are dumbing down as far as actual plays are concerned, but the sets and motions are becoming more diverse and complex to disguise the simplicity. Yet.....they're more explosive than ever. 

I'm often lost on defense though....lol.

Because of basics. Until the NFL somehow screws that up, that’s football as we know it. As for defense, i know I see it better when at the game than on tv. I haven’t been to a game for a few years because, well, I was tired of donating to failure and status quo.

(01-17-2019, 09:21 PM)Synric Wrote: That's why how to tackle and how to block are the first things we teach kids.

When I was teaching my son, that was the first lesson.

(01-17-2019, 10:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep the basics and we've stunk at the basics of late.

I won’t say 16yrs, but it’s been awhile. Whit and Zeitler leaving killed us. People could rationalize if they wanted how that shouldn’t have effect the whole line, but when you let the leadership Whit had along with the talent walk out the door, things are not going to end well.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yes. We stunk at both which is a lack of discipline and accountability. How many times have we seen players get excuses from the old regime on why they’re not doing their job, and then come out the next several weeks with the same or worse results? Totally agree with you.

Well, they can say that it was a "business decision" to let both Whit and Zeitler go, but we all know it was much deeper than that.  Mike Brown had allowed Paul Alexander to gain so much trust from him, that he allowed Alexander to gamble with the heart and soul of the team, the Offensive Line.  Paul's whiff on a pair of Tackles, along with his late round and UDFA interior linemen also floundering not only cost him his job, but ultimately Marvin Lewis as well.  

Now, I'm not crying for Marvin, as his time had come and went.  But ultimately, this might have been what aroused Mike Brown to the idea that maybe it was time to pass the real decision making to the next generation.  Now, the grown up in me feels sad that Mike Brown may have had to admit that his time has passed, but the fan in me is beyond overjoyed!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Spot on, in the end it isn't rocket science, it starts in the trenches and ends in the tackling.

You do this well you have the best chance of winning. Hope this is what Taylor and the new coaches focus on the most.

If we are rebuilding anything it is these techniques, it isn't rebuilding the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they can say that it was a "business decision" to let both Whit and Zeitler go, but we all know it was much deeper than that.  Mike Brown had allowed Paul Alexander to gain so much trust from him, that he allowed Alexander to gamble with the heart and soul of the team, the Offensive Line.  Paul's whiff on a pair of Tackles, along with his late round and UDFA interior linemen also floundering not only cost him his job, but ultimately Marvin Lewis as well.  

Now, I'm not crying for Marvin, as his time had come and went.  But ultimately, this might have been what aroused Mike Brown to the idea that maybe it was time to pass the real decision making to the next generation.  Now, the grown up in me feels sad that Mike Brown may have had to admit that his time has passed, but the fan in me is beyond overjoyed!

all I want is for son of paul/dad of paul to have a ring by time he passes.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 06:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on, in the end it isn't rocket science, it starts in the trenches and ends in the tackling.

You do this well you have the best chance of winning. Hope this is what Taylor and the new coaches focus on the most.

If we are rebuilding anything it is these techniques, it isn't rebuilding the team.

Yep, if you're not good at the fundamentals, all of the best laid game plans and schemes in the league won't work well.  This team has been fundamentally poor, for the past two seasons.  It really is a credit to the players grit and professionalism that they were able to win 6 games this season.  There were teams with more offensive talent, that produced less than the Bengals (Lions, Bucs, Jags)

The way I see it, this team is about 4-5 players from winning the division, 2 OL 1 TE, 2 LB.  Fix those areas, add in an energetic, young, enthusiastic HC, and the possibilities are limitless.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The way I see it, this team is about 4-5 players from winning the division, 2 OL 1 TE, 2 LB.  Fix those areas, add in an energetic, young, enthusiastic HC, and the possibilities are limitless.

And 1 CB.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 09:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And 1 CB.

And a partridge in a pear tree.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, if you're not good at the fundamentals, all of the best laid game plans and schemes in the league won't work well.  This team has been fundamentally poor, for the past two seasons.  It really is a credit to the players grit and professionalism that they were able to win 6 games this season.  There were teams with more offensive talent, that produced less than the Bengals (Lions, Bucs, Jags)

The way I see it, this team is about 4-5 players from winning the division, 2 OL 1 TE, 2 LB.  Fix those areas, add in an energetic, young, enthusiastic HC, and the possibilities are limitless.

You know it Sunset, imagine the grit these players would have with a coach that actually pushes them to greatness and has some spunk to him. Nothing against Marv, he did some good things here but i could never get pumped up going into a game by him, it would have to be me or my teammates pumping me up before hand.

From everything i am hearing about Taylor he is this plus much more.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know it Sunset, imagine the grit these players would have with a coach that actually pushes them to greatness and has some spunk to him. Nothing against Marv, he did some good things here but i could never get pumped up going into a game by him, it would have to be me or my teammates pumping me up before hand.

From everything i am hearing about Taylor he is this plus much more.

Yeah, I'm just tired of daydreaming, speculating, imagining, and visualizing how great things are going to be under the new regime.  I'm ready for Taylor to be announce, assistants to start being named, and a genuine plan for the 2019 season to be unveiled.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I'm just tired of daydreaming, speculating, imagining, and visualizing how great things are going to be under the new regime.  I'm ready for Taylor to be announce, assistants to start being named, and a genuine plan for the 2019 season to be unveiled.

Us impatient bastids, GO SAINTS!!! lol
Reply/Quote