Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New planet?
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/ninth-planet-solar-system-edge-discovery-pluto

Evidence suggests a 9th planet exists far beyond Pluto.

This is pretty cool if it's true
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Saw this. It would be pretty cool.

Always been a bit of a space junkie.
(01-20-2016, 07:54 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Saw this. It would be pretty cool.

Always been a bit of a space junkie.

With you on that!

I wonder though if this will feed the "Planet X" cults that think another planet is coming to crash into us!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It's a bit mind blowing that we're have been able to discover exoplanets and miss that one.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(01-20-2016, 08:07 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: It's a bit mind blowing that we're have been able to discover exoplanets and miss that one.

Or the fact that we know stars and galaxies exist that are millions of light years away.

Do you know how far away one light year is Arturo?
Better get cracking on that earth wall. Won't be long now.
(01-20-2016, 08:14 PM)Vlad Wrote: Or the fact that we know stars and galaxies exist that are millions of light years away.

This one is in our solar system. Pioneer did get out of this system. This is indeed my point. If it's that big, how could we have miss it, we have discovered planets that are much more far away.

I'm just asking a question, I'm not judging things I'm unable to do.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(01-20-2016, 09:31 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: This one is in our solar system. Pioneer did get out of this system. This is indeed my point. If it's that big, how could we have miss it, we have discovered planets that are much more far away.

Couldn't the planet's very long orbit (~15K years) around the sun effect our ability to find to date?

I have no idea on this.  
The universe. Amazing what God can do.

Ninja
(01-20-2016, 09:31 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: This one is in our solar system. Pioneer did get out of this system. This is indeed my point. If it's that big, how could we have miss it, we have discovered planets that are much more far away.

Space is very, very big.

The two Voyager missions had very specific "jobs" to do.

Now they are being used to determine the "end" of our solar system...not look for other planets.
(01-20-2016, 08:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: With you on that!

I wonder though if this will feed the "Planet X" cults that think another planet is coming to crash into us!

For reference:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_cataclysm

I'm not one that worries about a huge impact or anything, but could not such a thing explain Biblical level floods ?
If it became close enough, the gravitational pull would cause tsunamis and place water into regions that it would seem impossible.

I doubt this is a "thing", but I'm not going to totally discount it.
Humanity should never be so vain as to think we have it all figured out.
I'm going to petition President Trump to launch a nuclear rocket at it and light that baby up so we can see it! Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(01-20-2016, 10:02 PM)Vlad Wrote: The universe. Amazing what God can do.

Ninja

I see what you did.....
(01-21-2016, 01:30 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: For reference:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_cataclysm

I'm not one that worries about a huge impact or anything, but could not such a thing explain Biblical level floods ?
If it became close enough, the gravitational pull would cause tsunamis and place water into regions that it would seem impossible.

I doubt this is a "thing", but I'm not going to totally discount it.
Humanity should never be so vain as to think we have it all figured out.

I going to say no.  It has an orbit beyond Neptune.

And I agree we do not know it all...and may never.

That's different than saying "well...it must be a god / religion" to explain it.
(01-20-2016, 08:14 PM)Vlad Wrote: Or the fact that we know stars and galaxies exist that are millions of light years away.

Don't ask.  He will give it to you in kilometers.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-21-2016, 10:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Don't ask.  He will give it to you in kilometers.

Approx. 9.461 trillion km. Ninja

A distant planet in our own solar system would be harder to find than another planet orbiting a different star in our galaxy (an exoplanet). That is because a distant planet in our own solar system will receive very little light or heat from our sun. And since its orbit is so long, and may be out of sync with Earth's orbit, it would be very hard to detect by either a visible light telescope, or an infrared telescope. The one they are talking about is theorized based upon the effect of surrounding objects. Their orbits are all converging at a single point in space which is very unusual and suggests a gravitational cause. They have come up with the possibility based upon mathematical calculations. It won't be confirmed until it is found by a telescope, which is like looking for a needle in a haystack in the dark.

Exoplanets are easier to discover because when they pass in front of their star, they dim the light ever so slightly. Their gravitational pull also causes their star to wobble. So by detecting the wobble, then watching for the star to dim, they can confirm the existence of an exoplanet. The ones we have detected have all been much larger than Earth, and often have been relatively close to their stars.
(01-21-2016, 02:08 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm going to petition President Trump to launch a nuclear rocket at it and light that baby up so we can see it!  Ninja
And Mexico's gonna pay for it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021

(01-21-2016, 06:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: A distant planet in our own solar system would be harder to find than another planet orbiting a different star in our galaxy (an exoplanet). That is because a distant planet in our own solar system will receive very little light or heat from our sun. And since its orbit is so long, and may be out of sync with Earth's orbit, it would be very hard to detect by either a visible light telescope, or an infrared telescope. The one they are talking about is theorized based upon the effect of surrounding objects. Their orbits are all converging at a single point in space which is very unusual and suggests a gravitational cause. They have come up with the possibility based upon mathematical calculations. It won't be confirmed until it is found by a telescope, which is like looking for a needle in a haystack in the dark.

Exoplanets are easier to discover because when they pass in front of their star, they dim the light ever so slightly. Their gravitational pull also causes their star to wobble. So by detecting the wobble, then watching for the star to dim, they can confirm the existence of an exoplanet. The ones we have detected have all been much larger than Earth, and often have been relatively close to their stars.

Great and accurate explanation Beaker.  The essential difference is the distance from the sun.  All the Exo planets we've "found" have been based on observing stars that dim unexpectedly and have gravity wobbles, however this requires the planet causing the effects to be very close to their star.  In many cases closer than Mercury and 10 larger than Earth or larger, thus making them uninhabitable.  More recently however they believe they've found Earth size or larger planets in the "life zone" of stars, so we're getting better telescopes and better math.