Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rule enforcements
I really haven't watched much preseason football this year due to personal responsibilities, but I had the opportunity to be at the Steelers/Panthers game last night.

There were two roughing the passer calls against Carolina that were totally bogus.  One on the Steelers was at least a little closer as *maybe* they could say the QB was whistled down when his knee hit and the second guy in hit him high in the shoulder/chest.

Then, late in the game, a Panther RB ducked his head going down and a Steeler defender missed him and slid over his back and they called "leading with the helmet" on the Steelers.

These games are going to be brutal to watch if they are going to be this picky every game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
They have been somewhat inconsistent with the enforcement of the rules, throughout the preseason. For example, I watched the Saints/Chargers game last Saturday, and they were really letting them play. Then, I've watched parts of the replays of several games on NFLN, where the officiating seemed more heavy handed, like what you described.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I turned on the Giants/Pats game yesterday afternoon just for hahas and promptly saw two of the "leading with the helmet calls."

One was a tackle worse than the one that ended David Pollack's career. The other one was eyebrow raising.

I get where the league is coming from, but there's been very little this preseason to think that this won't be deciding a few games this year. 
Reply/Quote