Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rules pitchers must face 3 batters
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rule-changes-for-2020-season

And the hits just keep on coming. I don't like it
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Should speed up the game with a lot fewer pitching changes. Relievers roles will be interesting with no more one batter specialty guys. They’ll have to be more well rounded and have better stamina.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 08:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Should speed up the game with a lot fewer pitching changes. Relievers roles will be interesting with no more one batter specialty guys. They’ll have to be more well rounded and have better stamina.

I don't know.  Part of Baseball is watching all of the strategic moves, and seeing if they pay off.  

There are other sports for people who want a faster pace or non-stop action, like Basketball or Soccer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's going to matter too much. Most pitching changes are in mid-inning and there is usually an out or two . . . go in . . . don't stink.

I actually think it's kind of going to be exciting if a lefty comes in to face Votto with two outs and Votto gets on base. He now has to face Suarez and possibly either Moustakas or Castellano/Aquino. I could see GABP getting pumped and ragging on the pitcher a little more than normal.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know.  Part of Baseball is watching all of the strategic moves, and seeing if they pay off.  

There are other sports for people who want a faster pace or non-stop action, like Basketball or Soccer.

I agree Sunset

I just don't get the faster pace crud. Like Bauer said in his rant video the other day "3 hours 1 minute is bad, but 2 hours 59 minutes is good ?" OK

Am I against all change ? NO who wants to watch a batter take 25 seconds between every pitch to tighten his gloves, spit, loosen his jersey, swing 3 times and so on.

But baseball is not basketball, like you say.
Reply/Quote
I don't see the need to give Lorenzen 20 starts as a position player just so he doesn't count toward our max 13 pitchers on the roster.

I like using him to both pitch and play a defensive position at times, but I don't want to use him as a starting position player that often just to squeeze another pitcher on the roster. Our #14 pitcher would not be anyone that good anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 10:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Am I against all change ? NO who wants to watch a batter take 25 seconds between every pitch to tighten his gloves, spit, loosen his jersey, swing 3 times and so on.

I am one who wants them to speed up the games.  A "pitch clock" would seem to be the obvious answer.  It speeds up the game without changing any rules.
Reply/Quote
Personally, to speed up games just get rid of replay challenges. It was fun watching a manager argue with an ump and get ousted. Just wait when they start using computers to call strikes and balls.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 05:23 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  Just wait when they start using computers to call strikes and balls.

They already have the technology.  It is not that complicated or expensive.  So it is ridiculous that they are not already doing this.  Why let human error of a guy who is not playing (ump) decide a game?
Reply/Quote
Another rule change they need is addressing long extra-inning games. One long extra inning game can ruin the bullpen of two teams for several days.

After 12th inning they should start each half inning with a runner on 2nd base.
Reply/Quote
The LOOGY is officially dead.
Reply/Quote
I guess I'm the only one who thought baseabll was just fine the way it was in 1972 or whatever..  Oh well.. My opinion isn't going to make the commissioner sit up and say, "OMG! That old guy in SC thinks I'm a jerk! Life sucks a hundred fold! I better rethink this shit!"
Nope..that ain't happening. I'm still not happy, but OH WELL!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote