allowed. He's also tied for second in
terms of most sacks allowed.
On the plus side, guard Alex Cappa and
tackle Lael Collins hold above-average
pressure rates and guard Cordell Volson
holds a nearly average rate. Those results
are far better than what Burrow and the
Bengals had to put up with last season.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Wait, so you’re presenting data that dispels the truths presented by so many experts on this board? How dare you Sir!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 08:52 AM)Section101fan Wrote: Wait, so you’re presenting data that dispels the truths presented by so many experts on this board? How dare you Sir!

I know but sacks are sacks. They effect the rhythm and consistency of the offense. Ha ha doesn’t dive into the run game lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 08:44 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: NFL pass protection
rankings: Why the
Bucs and Patriots
have league's best O-Lines:
Larry Holder - The Athletic
Who's got your quarterback's back? And
who's getting your quarterback
pummeled?
Even through a six-week NFL sample
size, it's mostly apparent that the team
that protects the quarterback the best
wins the most games.
I emphasize mostly.
I took a dive, with the massive assistance
of TruMedia, into how every NFL
team's offensive line has performed in
terms of quarterback pressures and sacks
allowed. I focused mainly on pressure
percentage for teams and individuals as a
determining factor in who's protecting
or not protecting their respective
quarterback well.
Bengals one of 3 best: The Bengals seem like a total
contradiction. They lead the league in
sacks allowed. And yet they're the third
best team in terms of pressure
percentage allowed? And Joe Burrow
unloads the football at the fourth-fastest
rate in the league at 2.43 seconds? The
sack-per-pressure rate probably tells
more of the story. If Burrow receives
pressure, he's more likely than just about
any other quarterback to absorb a sack.
Left tackle Jonah Williams, the only
starter remaining from last season, still
seems like the sore spot along the front
five with a below-average pressure rate
allowed. He's also tied for second in
terms of most sacks allowed.
On the plus side, guard Alex Cappa and
tackle Lael Collins hold above-average
pressure rates and guard Cordell Volson
holds a nearly average rate. Those results
are far better than what Burrow and the
Bengals had to put up with last season.

Joe just has to swallow his play making pride and throw the ball away at the RB's feet when receiving pressure. 

Yet still the O-line should be able to give him that 2.43 seconds. 

Both Joe and O-line just need to do a wee bit better on the little things. 

Hopefully Jonah has some sort of injury and will get better as season goes along. Because his play is alarming yet in contrast of previous seasons.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:50 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Joe just has to swallow his play making pride and throw the ball away at the RB's feet when receiving pressure. 

Yet still the O-line should be able to give him that 2.43 seconds. 

Both Joe and O-line just need to do a little bit better on the little things. 

Hopefully Jonah has some sort of injury and will get better as season goes along. Because his play is alarming yet in contrast of previous seasons.  

Good points the article had charts. I should have attached those and each player. Volson average but that’s not bad for a rookie 4th rounder

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:54 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Good points the article had charts. I should have attached those and each player. Volson average but that’s not bad for a rookie 4th rounder

Better than could really be expected actually. 

Plus suspect he will get better as the season goes and then take another step forward next season. 

Hope so anyway because the back half of the schedule is very formidable.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:02 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I know but sacks are sacks. They effect the rhythm and consistency of the offense. Ha ha doesn’t dive into the run game lol

This doesn't get brought up a lot, but I believe the pass blocking win rate is much more important than the run blocking win rate....as do probably most of you.  However, I think the poor ranking for a lot of the Bengals run blocking snaps is due to scheme and predictability, rather than ability.  You are seeing an adaptation away from the lame-ass wide zone scheme to more of a power gap scheme.  It simply fits the personnel better and that is an example of good coaching.  

Both Zac and Pollack are big wide-zone guy, but they have figured out that their guys simply don't execute it as well as power gap.  Only took four games.  Good for them.  

This adaptation has seemingly gone unnoticed, but the Bengals have to play in poor weather with four home games in December and January (not counting the playoffs) and also a road trip to New England on Christmas Eve.  This will be a huge improvement if they can keep progressing.  

I can see them airing it out more on games like this weekend and saving the RBs for a stretch run in poor weather.  
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 10:28 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Better than could really be expected actually. 

Plus suspect he will get better as the season goes and then take another step forward next season. 

And these guys intact for several years will be monumental

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 10:28 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Better than could really be expected actually. 

He is probably the biggest positive surprise this season.  And it matters to him.  He will only get better.  I love his length and strength at the point of attack.  He may always be a better pass blocker than run blocker, and that is just fine.  They need to keep them in a power gap scheme and play to their strengths in the run game and it should also continue to progress.  
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He is probably the biggest positive surprise this season.  And it matters to him.  He will only get better.  I love his length and strength at the point of attack.  He may always be a better pass blocker than run blocker, and that is just fine.  They need to keep them in a power gap scheme and play to their strengths in the run game and it should also continue to progress.  

Agree even though we all had our doubts at the beginning the kid has kept his nose to the grindstone and kept working.

Who knows maybe he grades out higher if not for the liability next to him in Jonah to this point instead of vice versa. 

Got to think there is some sort of injury with Jonah though. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This doesn't get brought up a lot, but I believe the pass blocking win rate is much more important than the run blocking win rate....as do probably most of you.  However, I think the poor ranking for a lot of the Bengals run blocking snaps is due to scheme and predictability, rather than ability.  You are seeing an adaptation away from the lame-ass wide zone scheme to more of a power gap scheme.  It simply fits the personnel better and that is an example of good coaching.  

Both Zac and Pollack are big wide-zone guy, but they have figured out that their guys simply don't execute it as well as power gap.  Only took four games.  Good for them.  

This adaptation has seemingly gone unnoticed, but the Bengals have to play in poor weather with four home games in December and January (not counting the playoffs) and also a road trip to New England on Christmas Eve.  This will be a huge improvement if they can keep progressing.  

I can see them airing it out more on games like this weekend and saving the RBs for a stretch run in poor weather.  

Up until 2 games ago, they were running just about a 50/50 split between zone and gap. The last 2 weeks have been 90+% gap. 

Actually, a couple others had already pointed it out several times. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:25 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree even though we all had our doubts at the beginning the kid has kept his nose to the grindstone and kept working.

Who knows maybe he grades out higher if not for the liability next to him in Jonah to this point instead of vice versa. 

Got to think there is some sort of injury with Jonah though. 

Jonah dislocated his knee against the Ravens and returned to that game with a brace.  I'm sure it isn't easy.  Oddly, I think he had one of his best games against the Rats.  
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Up until 2 games ago, they were running just about a 50/50 split between zone and gap. The last 2 weeks have been 90+% gap. 

Sorry I missed that.  Was in Boston for a few days for work right after the last game.  Did anyone break down the difference in yardage between those two schemes early on?  I'm surprised to read this as it seemed like a lot more wide zone than that the first four games.  
Reply/Quote
This staff gets a lot of criticism…. partly deserved and more not deserved. But they sure as hell aren’t stubborn

Reply/Quote
I wonder how this works out if you subtract those first two discombobulated games?
Reply/Quote
Joe has stated that all sacks aren't bad; this explains why he takes a lot of sacks compared to pressure.

I've defended Jonah but it might be time to start looking at college LTs. Jonah could be one of the best awing tackles in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I first thought this was a thread by impactplaya, but then realized that it's formatted stupidly by the Athletic...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Up until 2 games ago, they were running just about a 50/50 split between zone and gap. The last 2 weeks have been 90+% gap. 

It’s been nice to see them adapt and use the scheme their shiny new linemen are both accustomed to and best at. It’s also helped Mixon to have him just accelerate north and south instead of the lateral running trying to get the corner. A couple of us were calling for the scheme change going back to when we signed our three new linemen… Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 12:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I first thought this was a thread by impactplaya, but then realized that it's formatted stupidly by the Athletic...
NFL pass protection rankings: Why the Bucs and Patriots have league's best O-Lines:

Who's got your quarterback's back? And who's getting your quarterback pummeled?

Even through a six-week NFL sample size, it's mostly apparent that the team that protects the quarterback the best wins the most games. I emphasize mostly.

I took a dive, with the massive assistance of TruMedia, into how every NFL team's offensive line has performed in terms of quarterback pressures and sacks allowed. I focused mainly on pressure percentage for teams and individuals as a determining factor in who's protecting or not protecting their respective quarterback well.

Bengals one of 3 best:
     The Bengals seem like a total contradiction. They lead the league in sacks allowed. And yet they're the third best in terms of pressure percent allowed? And Joe Burrow unloads the football at the fourth-fastest rate in the league at 2.43 seconds? The sack-per-pressure rate probably tells
more of the story. If Burrow receives pressure, he's more likely than just about any other quarterback to absorb a sack. Left tackle Jonah Williams, the only starter remaining from last season, still seems like the sore spot along the front five with a below-average pressure rate allowed. He's also tied for second in terms of most sacks allowed.

On the plus side, guard Alex Cappa and tackle Lael Collins hold above-average pressure rates and guard Cordell Volson holds a nearly average rate. Those results are far better than what Burrow and the Bengals had to put up with last season.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: NFL pass protection rankings: Why the Bucs and Patriots have league's best O-Lines:

Who's got your quarterback's back? And who's getting your quarterback pummeled?

Even through a six-week NFL sample size, it's mostly apparent that the team that protects the quarterback the best wins the most games. I emphasize mostly.

I took a dive, with the massive assistance of TruMedia, into how every NFL team's offensive line has performed in terms of quarterback pressures and sacks allowed. I focused mainly on pressure percentage for teams and individuals as a determining factor in who's protecting or not protecting their respective quarterback well.

Bengals one of 3 best:
     The Bengals seem like a total contradiction. They lead the league in sacks allowed. And yet they're the third best in terms of pressure percent allowed? And Joe Burrow unloads the football at the fourth-fastest rate in the league at 2.43 seconds? The sack-per-pressure rate probably tells
more of the story. If Burrow receives pressure, he's more likely than just about any other quarterback to absorb a sack. Left tackle Jonah Williams, the only starter remaining from last season, still seems like the sore spot along the front five with a below-average pressure rate allowed. He's also tied for second in terms of most sacks allowed.

On the plus side, guard Alex Cappa and tackle Lael Collins hold above-average pressure rates and guard Cordell Volson holds a nearly average rate. Those results are far better than what Burrow and the Bengals had to put up with last season.

Thanks Bfine as I was thinking the same thing as Truck. Was hard to read, this is much better.

This shows how much time it has taken for our OL to gel and also shows just the way Burrow likes to play, he is a home run
hitter and it is the only way he likes to play right now but hopefully the Saints game was the start of a new Burrow that also 
can play the short game as well and just be the Point Guard that he can be. The home runs will come with our weapons.

In the mean time need to take what the Defense gives you.

Our O-line is coming around in this Power Gap scheme which fits their strengths, this is what we needed to see for this 
Offense to really make the jump to elite.
Reply/Quote