Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
New study on NFL Pass Protection Rankings Shocker
(10-22-2022, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sorry I missed that.  Was in Boston for a few days for work right after the last game.  Did anyone break down the difference in yardage between those two schemes early on?  I'm surprised to read this as it seemed like a lot more wide zone than that the first four games.  

I think there was a tweet about the YPC between zone and gap, pre Ravens, and then after the Ravens game, Ceasar pointed out the shift so i went to PFF to check and the numbers showed it was true. 

First 4 games they leaned zone but it was close to 50/50. Last two games has been very little zone. And i mean very little. 

They've been much more efficient on less running plays. The funny thing is, there was a discussion (semi-joking i think) about just abandoning under center snaps completely...then the Saints game happened and i think they took a grand total of 2 snaps from under center and the 2nd one was the kneel down at the end. 

There seems to be some pretty substantial adjustments going on with the offense, and it's a good thing to see.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 06:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think there was a tweet about the YPC between zone and gap, pre Ravens, and then after the Ravens game, Ceasar pointed out the shift so i went to PFF to check and the numbers showed it was true. 

First 4 games they leaned zone but it was close to 50/50. Last two games has been very little zone. And i mean very little. 

They've been much more efficient on less running plays. The funny thing is, there was a discussion (semi-joking i think) about just abandoning under center snaps completely...then the Saints game happened and i think they took a grand total of 2 snaps from under center and the 2nd one was the kneel down at the end. 

There seems to be some pretty substantial adjustments going on with the offense, and it's a good thing to see.

Nice Rfaulk, as I didn't know the numbers but could tell by watching we were running the Power Gap pretty much all game 
against the Saints and out of the Shotgun. Love the adjustments the coach's have done and it fits the O-lineman and our
overall players to a T instead of the Wide Zone.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 08:52 AM)Section101fan Wrote: Wait, so you’re presenting data that dispels the truths presented by so many experts on this board?  How dare you Sir!

Actually PFf a source many on here have used put put line as subpar first 4th games..
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 06:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think there was a tweet about the YPC between zone and gap, pre Ravens, and then after the Ravens game, Ceasar pointed out the shift so i went to PFF to check and the numbers showed it was true. 

They've also said that they may go 98% under center if that's what the defense dictates they do. Seems they're just gonna make you guess what they're going to run, at least during the scripted period.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: They've also said that they may go 98% under center if that's what the defense dictates they do. Seems they're just gonna make you guess what they're going to run, at least during the scripted period.

Man, Play Action with Burrow under Center with our Receivers could be deadly against certain Defenses.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, Play Action with Burrow under Center with our Receivers could be deadly against certain Defenses.

You know it. Zac said Joe can run any damn offense you want. He sure looked deadly in that RPO.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: They've also said that they may go 98% under center if that's what the defense dictates they do. Seems they're just gonna make you guess what they're going to run, at least during the scripted period.

I would rather they be as fluid as possible and simply do what is needed. Too many past seasons it was "we're gonna do what we do" and it got to be maddening to watch guys like Belichick adjust to teams week in and week out. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:50 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Joe just has to swallow his play making pride and throw the ball away at the RB's feet when receiving pressure. 

Yet still the O-line should be able to give him that 2.43 seconds. 

Both Joe and O-line just need to do a wee bit better on the little things. 

Hopefully Jonah has some sort of injury and will get better as season goes along. Because his play is alarming yet in contrast of previous seasons.  

Na. Keep making plays, Joe. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I would rather they be as fluid as possible and simply do what is needed. Too many past seasons it was "we're gonna do what we do" and it got to be maddening to watch guys like Belichick adjust to teams week in and week out. 

Yessir, absolutely agree.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, Play Action with Burrow under Center with our Receivers could be deadly against certain Defenses.

Joe doesnt seem to do so well with his back to the defense.  We were not very effective last season with play action either.  Last year I thought it was due to poor oline and there wasn't any time. But much of it seems to be on Joe, his interception to Queen vs the Ravens was terrible.
I agree it should be way better.

Reply/Quote
I appreciate this post, my eye test from watching other games is that the offensive line is still subpar. I know this post says otherwise and I’m not trying to be over critical but when I watch the Bills or Chiefs, Patriots, Tampa Bay games allen and Mahomes and the like have large pockets with 4+ seconds multiples times per game to make big plays. This just doesn’t happen with our current line, I think Joe getting rid of the ball 4th fastest in the league makes sense because he has too which is masking the pressure numbers downward. Switching to Shotgun 99 percent of time and seeing improvement makes sense. It’s gives Joe an extra second or two to get through reads and get rid of it quickly. Play action pass not working makes sense too because the line is already on his feet by the time he gets to his reads, our line can’t hold for 3+ seconds, other lines in the league can. If shotgun 99 percent of the time works then I’m all for it, Buffalo does this regularly. I do hope to continue to see improvement from the line where play action pass becomes an option but I’d put that on the line and not on Joe. We will continue to struggle with strong defensive lines and need the offensive line to continue to improve in my opinion, I’m hopeful and optimistic.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 06:59 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Joe doesnt seem to do so well with his back to the defense.  We were not very effective last season with play action either.  Last year I thought it was due to poor oline and there wasn't any time. But much of it seems to be on Joe, his interception to Queen vs the Ravens was terrible.
I agree it should be way better.

This is something that Joe definitely needs to get more comfortable with no question cause if we get a running game 
going I think that this Offense could be unstoppable. Running the ball with Joe under Center and then out of nowhere 
go Play Action deep to our WR's. This would be maddening to stop if Burrow got good at it.

This Offensive Line is coming around and they are very physical. I just love this style of Offense. Same one the Titans
have been running for years, I love physical, running it down your throat football and then the Play Action off of it.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 09:02 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I know but sacks are sacks. They effect the rhythm and consistency of the offense. Ha ha doesn’t dive into the run game lol

I have seen articles that claim sacks are a qb stat more than an oline stat.
Reply/Quote
In his post game interview Zac said they’d gone back to their basics in their offense. A current NFL head coach ( not then one) told me once one of the biggest mistakes you can make is to get away from the basics of your offense and structure.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 07:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: In his post game interview Zac said they’d gone back to their basics in their offense. A current NFL head coach ( not then one) told me once one of the biggest mistakes you can make is to get away from the basics of your offense and structure.

Yes. They run Shotgun almost every play. Minus like sneaks and goalline.

Last 2 weeks it's been that way.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is something that Joe definitely needs to get more comfortable with no question cause if we get a running game 
going I think that this Offense could be unstoppable. Running the ball with Joe under Center and then out of nowhere 
go Play Action deep to our WR's. This would be maddening to stop if Burrow got good at it.

This Offensive Line is coming around and they are very physical. I just love this style of Offense. Same one the Titans
have been running for years, I love physical, running it down your throat football and then the Play Action off of it.

I make that comment and Joe busts out a 60 yd TD to Boyd off a great play action...

Reply/Quote