Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New week, another Zac apology for bad play call
This is why working as a coordinator helps the career trajectory in the long run

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Oh phew, I was getting worried because there hadn't been a "Zac Taylor sucks at play calling" thread in about 8 minutes.
Reply/Quote
I’m not gonna bring in my bias’s against Zac because it’s pretty obvious i don’t like him

Ima just comment on that one play.

The IDEA was good. Jamarr Chase in a situation to run. Maybe this is a great 1st and 10 call. But on 4th and 1 to call an outside run that starts 4 yards behind the LOS is crazy.

I hate to do the hindsight thing because if it worked this thread wouldn’t exist. But it was just a poorly thought up play.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
He then said afterwards, "But I just got an extension so does it really matter?" *giggle*

The giggle was eerily reminiscent of Marvin Lewis after his first extension...
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:44 PM)pally Wrote: This is why working as a coordinator helps the career trajectory in the long run

Gives me Jay Gruden vibes.

That dude always overthought play calls.

"1 yard to gain? Let's do a 20-yard sideline pass to AJ!....Oh I can't believe that didn't work!!"
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I do give Zac credit for admitting that his play calling doesn't always work for whatever reason. I keep holding out hope he learns from his mistakes

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I’d have to see it again, but I actually thought Chase could have cut back inside a bit and gotten the yard.

I also loved the flea flicker call which again was more on Chase for not coming down with it.

It definitely doesn’t help the play calling when your best weapon was having an off day.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d have to see it again, but I actually thought Chase could have cut back inside a bit and gotten the yard.

I also loved the flea flicker call which again was more on Chase for not coming down with it.

It definitely doesn’t help the play calling when your best weapon was having an off day.

Yep! Chase ran right past a hole - he cuts it there and he has the yard easy. 
Reply/Quote
I hate that Zac NEVER take blame.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:48 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m not gonna bring in my bias’s against Zac because it’s pretty obvious i don’t like him

Ima just comment on that one play.

The IDEA was good. Jamarr Chase in a situation to run. Maybe this is a great 1st and 10 call. But on 4th and 1 to call an outside run that starts 4 yards behind the LOS is crazy.

I hate to do the hindsight thing because if it worked this thread wouldn’t exist. But it was just a poorly thought up play.

The decision to go for it was stupid.  There is being aggressive, and then there is being stupid.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! Chase ran right past a hole - he cuts it there and he has the yard easy. 

Crazy how a guy can be maybe the best RAC WR in the league but would be an average to slightly above running back if that.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:48 PM)Housh Wrote: The IDEA was good. Jamarr Chase in a situation to run.

Disagree. A FG would have put them up 21.

Chase now has 10 career carries for 23 yards and 3 first downs.

6 of the 10 carries have gone for 0 or negative yards.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The toss was to the short side of the field
It is so much easier to hem in a ball for a defender
Zac should have faked the toss to Chase then booted
To the left and hit someone on drag route
I notice too on that run by Chase
Cordell Volson never got his shoulders squared up
And he was got his arms extended .he looked
Really bad on that play
Reply/Quote
Speaking of play calling. I listen to part of the game on Sirius and they called a play where Zac rolled out and was set up for a perfect PA Pass, but there was no receiver there. Said he threw the ball down in anger and gave one of the receivers the stink eye.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The play doesn’t work out, so he says ANY other play would have worked? Lmao sounds like a lot of fans on here. Calm down there Zac.

Yes he can still keep improving as a play caller. Obviously he knows that and is willing to reflect and work at it which is a good thing.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. When our OC’s start to get hired every year or two we’ll be glad Zac has always been our play caller because our offense will be able to keep on clicking. Zac learning play calling duties on the job still got us to a SB last year. How many other play callers can say the same? And he’s never had a good o line as a play caller.

Remember how dependent our offense was on OC’s when we had good teams under Marv? Sure, Andy needed great OC and talent around him a lot more than Joe hopefully ever will, but constantly changing OC’s is not good for any QB. I’d rather have Zac learning and growing with our young core than some OC who will leave and have us restarting and Joe learning a new system every few seasons.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Speaking of play calling. I listen to part of the game on Sirius and they called a play where Zac rolled out and was set up for a perfect PA Pass, but there was no receiver there. Said he threw the ball down in anger and gave one of the receivers the stink eye.

Was that late in the 4th? Because that drive was all runs until that miscommunication. Literally set that whole play up that entire drive for someone to ***** there assignment
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d have to see it again, but I actually thought Chase could have cut back inside a bit and gotten the yard.

I was at the game had high powered binoculars watching the play and he had a wall of blockers they just possed down their legs. They may be getting some one on one passes from PFF but as a unit they suck. Trying to call a successful run play has to be a nightmare.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! Chase ran right past a hole - he cuts it there and he has the yard easy. 

Tough crowd if they condemn Zac for yesterday
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 04:44 PM)pally Wrote: This is why working as a coordinator helps the career trajectory in the long run

This was actually a really interesting play because what it said to me was "Joe Burrow and/or Zac Taylor is not comfortable running QB sneaks, so we won't ever do it."

The reason I thought this was because look at this formation:

[Image: L17aYSI.png]

Their edges are split out way wide, The LDE is lined up over the tight end, their linebackers are 5 yards back, their safety is shading the right side at the line of scrimmage and the cornerback is currently moving across the formation to the short side to follow Chase.

They literally could have 4 on 2 blocked the two DTs and had Joe jog to the first down.

So, in my mind, if they couldn't see that easy conversion, it must be one of these things that they just don't want Joe to shove his head into the pile under any circumstance.

But then...they do a QB sneak on 3rd down later in the game. So, obviously, they have no problem doing it. It's crazy that they didn't check into it here.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 05:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The decision to go for it was stupid.  There is being aggressive, and then there is being stupid.

(09-26-2022, 05:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Disagree. A FG would have put them up 21.

Chase now has 10 career carries for 23 yards and 3 first downs.

6 of the 10 carries have gone for 0 or negative yards.

Right

The really stupid decision was not kicking the FG going up by 21 and all but putting the game on ice.

To the play itself I'm off the opinion when you have one yard to go Straight forward is nearly always a better answer. Why pitch the ball 3 yards backwards and expect to run 20 yards sideways with it allowing the entire defense time to get there ??
Reply/Quote