Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newly released Nixon tape includes Nixon and Reagan using racist language
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/politics/ronald-reagan-richard-nixon-monkeys-african-countries/index.html

The tapes were unearthed by the former director of the Nixon Library and officially released by the National Archives two weeks ago. The National Archives had originally released an edited version 20 years ago and recent requests for the full tape prompted them to release it in whole.

Following the UN vote to recognize the People's Republic of China over the Republic of China (Taiwan), Reagan called Nixon:

RR: "Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did."

RN: "Yeah."

RR: "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries -- damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"

Nixon goes on to say to his Secretary of State in another recording:

"As you can imagine there's strong feeling that we just shouldn't, as (Reagan) said, he saw these ... cannibals on television last night, and he says, 'Christ, they weren't even wearing shoes, and here the United States is going to submit its fate to that,' and so forth and so on."
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-31-2019, 09:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/politics/ronald-reagan-richard-nixon-monkeys-african-countries/index.html

The tapes were unearthed by the former director of the Nixon Library and officially released by the National Archives two weeks ago. The National Archives had originally released an edited version 20 years ago and recent requests for the full tape prompted them to release it in whole.

Following the UN vote to recognize the People's Republic of China over the Republic of China (Taiwan), Reagan called Nixon:

RR: "Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did."

RN: "Yeah."

RR: "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries -- damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!"

Nixon goes on to say to his Secretary of State in another recording:

"As you can imagine there's strong feeling that we just shouldn't, as (Reagan) said, he saw these ... cannibals on television last night, and he says, 'Christ, they weren't even wearing shoes, and here the United States is going to submit its fate to that,' and so forth and so on."

I'd act surprised but....

RR pushed the Welfare Queen myth and was for gun control when blacks started carrying them more in CA.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Yea, not surprising at all.
Many already knew after how he attacked minorities his stereotypical feelings on blacks throughout his presidency but to hear it is really damning to his legacy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ronald-reagan-called-african-u-n-delegates-monkeys-call-richard-n1037171?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(08-01-2019, 10:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: Many already knew after how he attacked minorities his stereotypical feelings on blacks throughout his presidency but to hear it is really damning to his legacy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ronald-reagan-called-african-u-n-delegates-monkeys-call-richard-n1037171?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

LOL "Where does he say 'race'"?
There's already a thread on this.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Newly-released-Nixon-tape-includes-Nixon-and-Reagan-using-racist-language
Thanks Socio. Amazing this got pushed to page 2 so fast.

Lets you know how numb folks are calling folks of African descendants monkeys.

(08-01-2019, 01:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Thanks Socio. Amazing this got pushed to page 2 so fast.

Lets you know how numb folks are calling folks of African descendants monkeys.

Either that or because it happened about 50 years ago.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

So what how long it happened. It changes nothing that we keep having these people in power and making decision that supposedly help minorities when in reality you see how they feel about minorities.

Like Trump you guys want us to trust him, but you can't trust people that think this way about you.

Something you guys don't have to worry about and I guess because of that don't care.

Cops, Lawyers, Judges, Teachers, Politicians, Hiring managers etc many people in power feel this way about minorities. And they are supposed to be fair to us?

Don't believe they will, they won't and aren't'.

Be happy you don't have to worry about that.

Reagan like Trump had a lot of policies that effected Minorities. Be blessed those policies didn't hurt you like they did/do us. Be happy you don't live in a world where people in power think these things about you.

Be grateful they don't want to Make America Great Again by taking us back to the days minorities were subhuman. The real subconscious meaning behind that.

Carry on with the excuses. Your not racist tho. You just defend and make excuses for it. Kinda like you don't support Trump but......

Can't even bring yourself to say it's wrong to call people of African descent Monkeys. Maybe because you know it is a favorite attack from Republicans on Mrs. Obama.

I do appreciate those brave enough to speak out on racism, and I applaud them for their risk.

(08-01-2019, 04:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: So what how long it happened. It changes nothing that we keep having these people in power and making decision that supposedly help minorities when in reality you see how they feel about minorities.

Like Trump you guys want us to trust him, but you can't trust people that think this way about you.

Something you guys don't have to worry about and I guess because of that don't care.

Cops, Lawyers, Judges, Teachers, Politicians, Hiring managers etc many people in power feel this way about minorities. And they are supposed to be fair to us?

Don't believe they will, they won't and aren't'.

Be happy you don't have to worry about that.

Reagan like Trump had a lot of policies that effected Minorities. Be blessed those policies didn't hurt you like they did/do us. Be happy you don't live in a world where people in power think these things about you.

Be grateful they don't want to Make America Great Again by taking us back to the days minorities were subhuman. The real subconscious meaning behind that.

Carry on with the excuses. Your not racist tho. You just defend and make excuses for it. Kinda like you don't support Trump but......

Can't even bring yourself to say it's wrong to call people of African descent Monkeys. Maybe because you know it is a favorite attack from Republicans on Mrs. Obama.

I do appreciate those brave enough to speak out on racism, and I applaud them for their risk.

If this is a long-winded attempt to call me a racist, you can go kick rocks. Of course it matters that it was 50 years ago and it has 0 to do with Trump. There's enough racism going on today that we don't need to bring up examples from 50 years ago.

Quick name on of the best champions for human rights in our lifetime. If you picked Mohamed Ali then click on this about the 2 minute mark:

It happened about 50 years ago. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4f84vqm0mo1m03d6g.jpg]
Ah, the good old days when our Presidents confined their blatant racism to private conversations...
(08-01-2019, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If this is a long-winded attempt to call me a racist, you can go kick rocks. Of course it matters that it was 50 years ago and it has 0 to do with Trump. There's enough racism going on today that we don't need to bring up examples from 50 years ago.

Quick name on of the best champions for human rights in our lifetime. If you picked Mohamed Ali then click on this about the 2 minute mark:

It happened about 50 years ago. 

So no, you won't say it was wrong of Reagan and calling people of African decent monkeys isn't right.....

Exactly.

Yet you point to a black man who's family was killed and enslaved by white people. A black man who was treated subhuman and couldn't use the same restaurants and restrooms as white people. A man who isn't in power or making policy that effects White people. Yea these are similar situations.

but no, I wouldn't have said Muhammad Ali for the record. But as usual you guys tend to only recognize racism when it's believe to be against white people. Be careful what you wish for. You have no idea how luck you are to not have had to live in this environment and don't have parents and grandparents who in their lifetime still remember (and are traumatized, and may have some ill feelings towards white people) by how they were treated.

To me, it sounds like you are mad at those who endured this poor treatment for speaking ill of white people. Nothing against the White masters, enslaving and raping and beating them, nothing against the Jim Crow laws that traumatized them. But the nerve of them to be mad at white people is all you focus on. That is racism subconsciously at least. You must have been alive during the 50-70's at least because this is a typical response (the nerve of them to speak ill of the people who beat, raped, enslaved, refused to serve them).

Now I know you'll claim I'm defending Muhammad. What I am saying is at least we can see why these feelings are there. What did black people do to white people besides raise and breast feed their kids, build their empire and build this country as they reaped the benefits of it? Why do so many White people feel this way about blacks? What did we ever do to them and their culture. It's like being mad at the Jews for speaking ill of the Nazi's during the 40's. Look what they said about the Nazi's! They are just as bad as the Nazi's. That's how your Muhammad Ali example looks.

Seems like you guys want so bad to be victims too. Which in itself is insulting given the treatment of minorities through the years. But the fact you guys do want so bad to be victims of racism is further proof you guys have no idea how it feels and the effects it's had on black culture and family members who are still alive today.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone and yet you guys are so desperate to be victims of it.

(08-02-2019, 06:58 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: [Image: 4f84vqm0mo1m03d6g.jpg]

He sure was, and where did it get him? When the smoke cleared, they showed him his place. Poor guy. He tried his best.

"Morays", LoL.

Someone only ever heard the word.
Reagan and Nixon are both dead. Move on. Deal with today's issues.
(08-02-2019, 11:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: Reagan and Nixon are both dead. Move on. Deal with today's issues.

Part of "today's issues" are people who are racist.

This isn't "slavery was 150 years ago".

I mean while it is no surprise Saint Ron and Tricky Dick were racist they are still Presidents in our lifetime.  Reagan was the last President elected before I could vote.

And he was calling black people monkeys less than ten years before being elected POTUS.

There's absolutely nothing wrong (IMHO) in going back and showing that some of these officials policies and ideas were influenced by their racist opinions and trying to make sure we have less of that going forward.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

So many things wrong with this...

(08-02-2019, 11:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: "Morays", LoL.

Someone only ever heard the word.

No, he owned eels. 

(08-02-2019, 11:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: Reagan and Nixon are both dead. Move on. Deal with today's issues.

But this frame of mind isn't. And many people who were alive during this time aren't.

I just don't see why saying Nixon was wrong is so hard for folks.

Willing to say anything but that simple statement of disapproval. Why? Because these feelings are still very prevalent, and commonplace.