Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newly released Nixon tape includes Nixon and Reagan using racist language
Well I'll say it since no Republican will.

People of African decent aren't monkeys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(08-02-2019, 11:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: Part of "today's issues" are people who are racist.

This isn't "slavery was 150 years ago".

I mean while it is no surprise Saint Ron and Tricky Dick were racist they are still Presidents in our lifetime.  Reagan was the last President elected before I could vote.

And he was calling black people monkeys less than ten years before being elected POTUS.

There's absolutely nothing wrong (IMHO) in going back and showing that some of these officials policies and ideas were influenced by their racist opinions and trying to make sure we have less of that going forward.

(08-02-2019, 11:44 AM)jj22 Wrote: But this frame of mind isn't. And many people who were alive during this time aren't.

I just don't see why saying Nixon was wrong is so hard for folks.

Willing to say anything but that simple statement of disapproval. Why? Because these feelings are still very prevalent, and commonplace.

I didnt say he was right for saying it, but I dont see the use in going back 50 years and finding a racist quote from a dead president. Im sure the farther back you go, the more frequent the racist quotes will become. Its no secret that racism was more prevalent the farther back you go. I just think we have enough on our plate today with racism. Its no secret that it exists, but in my opinion, the first step to overcoming it is to stop making everything about it. Call me a man, not a black man or a white man. If I disobey the cops and get beat, make it about my actions, not my skin color, etc.
(08-02-2019, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Well I'll say it since no Republican will.

People of African decent aren't monkeys.

I'm going to wish for you to grow six more arms, then maybe you can sufficiently pat yourself on the back.  There's literally not one person on this board who condones such racism.
(08-02-2019, 04:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm going to wish for you to grow six more arms, then maybe you can sufficiently pat yourself on the back.  There's literally not one person on this board who condones such racism.

Still can't pull yourself to say it's wrong to call blacks monkeys huh.

Anything to avoid condemning a racist statement.

But yea, take shots at me for having the nerve to.

(08-02-2019, 09:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: So no, you won't say it was wrong of Reagan and calling people of African decent monkeys isn't right.....

Exactly.

Yet you point to a black man who's family was killed and enslaved by white people. A black man who was treated subhuman and couldn't use the same restaurants and restrooms  as white people. A man who isn't in power or making policy that effects White people. Yea these are similar situations.

but no, I wouldn't have said Muhammad Ali for the record. But as usual you guys tend to only recognize racism when it's believe to be against white people. Be careful what you wish for. You have no idea how luck you are to not have had to live in this environment and don't have parents and grandparents who in their lifetime still remember (and are traumatized, and may have some  ill feelings towards white people) by how they were treated.

To me, it sounds like you are mad at those who endured this poor treatment for speaking ill of white people. Nothing against the White masters, enslaving and raping and beating them, nothing against the Jim Crow laws that traumatized them. But the nerve of them to be mad at white people is all you focus on. That is racism subconsciously at least. You must have been alive during the 50-70's at least because this is a typical response (the nerve of them to speak ill of the people who beat, raped, enslaved, refused to serve them).

Now I know you'll claim I'm defending Muhammad. What I am saying is at least we can see why these feelings are there. What did black people do to white people besides raise and breast feed their kids, build their empire and build this country as they reaped the benefits of it? Why do so many White people feel this way about blacks? What did we ever do to them and their culture. It's like being mad at the Jews for speaking ill of the Nazi's during the 40's. Look what they said about the Nazi's! They are just as bad as the Nazi's. That's how your Muhammad Ali example looks.

Seems like you guys want so bad to be victims too. Which in itself is insulting given the treatment of minorities through the years. But the fact you guys do want so bad to be victims of racism is further proof you guys have no idea how it feels and the effects it's had on black culture and family members who are still alive today.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone and yet you guys are so desperate to be victims of it.

Of course calling African Americans monkeys is wrong and African Americans have been and continue to be victims of systemic racisim. I simply suggested why it wasn't such a hot news story. Hell I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson owned African American slaves. As to Ali, much like I hope for Reagan, I hope he learned from his ignorance as he matured. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-02-2019, 04:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Still can't pull yourself to say it's wrong to call blacks monkeys huh.

Anything to avoid condemning a racist statement.

But yea, take shots at me for having the nerve to.

You think posts like this will make anyone actually take you seriously?
(08-02-2019, 05:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You think posts like this will make anyone actually take you seriously?

Just can't pull yourself to say it.

How come it's so hard for you?

(08-02-2019, 05:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: Just can't pull yourself to say it.

He most likely included himself when he said:

There's literally not one person on this board who condones such racism.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-02-2019, 05:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: Just can't pull yourself to say it.

Would you like to know if I think the Holocaust was a bad thing too?

(08-02-2019, 05:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He most likely included himself when he said:

There's literally not one person on this board who condones such racism.

You'd think so.  Maybe I was too subtle?
(08-02-2019, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course calling African Americans monkeys is wrong and African Americans have been and continue to be victims of systemic racisim. I simply suggested why it wasn't such a hot news story. Hell I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson owned African American slaves. As to Ali, much like I hope for Reagan, I hope he learned from his ignorance as he matured. 

Well Reagan was in his late 70's when he said this. But thank you. Sorry for my approach (although you should be used to it by now). 

(08-02-2019, 06:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well Reagan was in his late 70's when he said this. But thank you. Sorry for my approach (although you should be used to it by now). 

The comments were made during Nixon's presidency, which was from 1969-74.  Reagan was born in in 1911.  Reagan was 58 to 63 when the remarks were made.  This doesn't excuse what was said, just correcting a severe math error on your part.
(08-02-2019, 11:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: "Morays", LoL.

Someone only ever heard the word.

When you try to come across just that little bit smarter than you really are.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-02-2019, 03:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: I didnt say he was right for saying it, but I dont see the use in going back 50 years and finding a racist quote from a dead president. Im sure the farther back you go, the more frequent the racist quotes will become. Its no secret that racism was more prevalent the farther back you go. I just think we have enough on our plate today with racism. Its no secret that it exists, but in my opinion, the first step to overcoming it is to stop making everything about it. Call me a man, not a black man or a white man. If I disobey the cops and get beat, make it about my actions, not my skin color, etc.

You are correct that the further back we go, the more likely we are to hear racist statements from presidents.  Woodrow Wilson was an outright White Nationalist. And we don't need to "overhear" private conversations to determine that.

One possible point for making public the Reagan/Nixon discussion, however, is that those two are not so ancient history. In public they comported themselves, post Civil Rights Act, as opponents of racism. Unlike Wilson, Reagan would have agreed with your point: "Call me a man, not black man or a white man" etc. Perhaps he genuinely believed law should work like that, while privately thinking that Africans were nevertheless inferior to whites. Perhaps this assumption was expressed in policy as well, as in his notorious veto of the Anti-Apartheid Act in 1985. Legitimate to wonder about that.

We still have a racist problem on our plate today because of past investments in it. Feelings and beliefs didn't change immediately because laws do, though laws may make them more difficult to put into policy. So it behooves us to understand whether, why and/or how racism continues, as population trends move more people to identify as white and fret over imminent loss of majority status. Very hard to answer those questions without knowing where racism came from, why it takes hold, and the various forms it has taken. Such inquiry is not just "looking for racist satements" though.

Now there is disagreement about causes and effects. Some think think that racism is largely gone, and talking about it stirs up no longer valid grievances. Others think it continues in implicit rather than explicit forms, and to deny recognizing this perpetuates it. Trump seems to bring this conflict to a head. Given what he says publicly, one suspects that in private one might hear things that would shock Reagan and Nixon.  And one wonders whether, or more likely how, his beliefs affect policy.
(08-02-2019, 05:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Would you like to know if I think the Holocaust was a bad thing too?

No, Trump supporters have made it clear what they feel about the Holocaust, and personally I think it's a disgrace.

Hopefully you feel different, but I rather not chance it by asking.

(08-06-2019, 09:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: No, Trump supporters have made it clear what they feel about the Holocaust, and personally I think it's a disgrace.

The fact that this statement is an insanely broad generalization, and also not based on any sort of facts, what does this have to do with me?
Plenty of facts just look at Trumps anti-Semitic tweets and retweets. Look at the Nazi sympathizers who make up a significant chunk of his supporters. He shares the Nazi one race doctrine with them or at the very least closely resembles it with his push to take America back to the days of one dominant and all powerful race (look at the Republican convention pics if you want to see their vision of America).

And well we all know how he feels about those good Nazi's here in America, and those who dare protest and get killed by them.

What does that have to do with you? You bring up the holocaust out of nowhere, and I'd just rather not hear Trump supporters twisted opinion on it. Because it's very insulting to Jewish Americans.

(08-06-2019, 11:12 AM)michaelsean Wrote: A significant chunk?  How many Nazis do you think there are in the country?  

62,980,160. Ninja

In case it needs to be said: this is a joke.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I would say about 35-40million (you have to add White supremacist to that group as they agree with the Nazi one supreeme race doctorine, even if they don't consider themselves Nazi's.).

Out of 350+m Americans, it's a dieing breed, and falling as time moves on.

Out of 50-63 million Trump voters. That's a signficant chunk.

(08-06-2019, 11:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: 62,980,160. Ninja

In case it needs to be said: this is a joke.

LOL.  Sorry I actually deleted my post because I had no idea how many there were and figured I should try to find that out first.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Back to Reagan (finally) being exposed as a racist:

It is kind of important from a historical perspective when we look back and him pushing the welfare queen myth and how his racism would affect his policies and who was really "fighting for" when he wanted to make america that shining city on a hill.  It was white people.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.