Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News from annual Media Lunch
It's mock turtle soup day for the folks from Bengals media. Mike Brown, Zac, Duke, and the coordinators are all present

basically, there is no news

-hopeful that a stadium extension gets done
-nothing on a Burrow extension other than keeping in private, and they love Joe and he's locked in but did add "Joe wants to be paid what he's worth"
-of course, they want to keep Higgins and Wilson...all extensions rely on the others
-appreciative of Mixon taking the pay cut
-Jonah working hard at RT
-camp battles for 3rd down back and QB2
-Expect to see Chido sooner rather than later

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:16 PM)pally Wrote: It's mock turtle soup day for the folks from Bengals media.  Mike Brown, Zac, Duke, and the coordinators are all present

basically, there is no news

-hopeful that a stadium extension gets done
-nothing on a Burrow extension other than keeping in private, and they love Joe and he's locked in but did add "Joe wants to be paid what he's worth"
-of course, they want to keep Higgins and Wilson...all extensions rely on the others
-appreciative of Mixon taking the pay cut
-Jonah working hard at RT
-camp battles for 3rd down back and QB2
-Expect to see Chido sooner rather than later

Hopefully this will put an end to the "Joe should/will take a hometown discount" crowd.  He deserves everything coming his way.  the amount of $$$ isn't the big deal, it's the structure.  I think that's why it's taking so long.  Both sides are trying to get something that allows them to keep the team together.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:50 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hopefully this will put an end to the "Joe should/will take a hometown discount" crowd.  He deserves everything coming his way.  the amount of $$$ isn't the big deal, it's the structure.  I think that's why it's taking so long.  Both sides are trying to get something that allows them to keep the team together.

It was always obvious. He's going to make 55-60 million a year. And it's harder to win a SB with a qb paid that heavily. It will put a premium on drafting and playing guys on cheap rookie deals.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 10:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It was always obvious. He's going to make 55-60 million a year. And it's harder to win a SB with a qb paid that heavily. It will put a premium on drafting and playing guys on cheap rookie deals.

They need to make sure the scouting department has everything they need. Drafting is going to require all bullseyes.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 11:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They need to make sure the scouting department has everything they need. Drafting is going to require all bullseyes.

The good news is that when you have a good base of talent, rookies generally can slide in and be more successful. That's not a guarantee though.

I think Murphy is going to have to be a pick they hit on this past draft. He's going to be relied heavily on as soon as next year.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The good news is that when you have a good base of talent, rookies generally can slide in and be more successful. That's not a guarantee though.

I think Murphy is going to have to be a pick they hit on this past draft. He's going to be relied heavily on as soon as next year.

Murphy did not necessarily under achieve at Clemson just has more potential than he showed. I hope he gets there as he could be a top 5 DE
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:50 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hopefully this will put an end to the "Joe should/will take a hometown discount" crowd.  He deserves everything coming his way.  the amount of $$$ isn't the big deal, it's the structure.  I think that's why it's taking so long.  Both sides are trying to get something that allows them to keep the team together.

if the structure is the main issue, the next question is what does "keep team together mean", rarely regardless of the QB contract do NFL teams look the same over a 3 year period.. the interesting debate after they sign Burrow is what type of team do we want to keep together and will it help or hinder the long term of the team since we will have Burrow for i assume next 10 seasons. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

I understand it, but I care so much more about the team having more good players than one guy being the highest paid at his position.   Just 2 years ago Josh Allen signed for $43M and in less than 24 months the number has to be $53M or the QB wont be happy?  Again, I get it.  But I will not be a bleeding heart for these guys that make millions playing a game, especially QBs at the > $40M per year, which is insanity - yes, again, I get it, they generate the revenue, I'm not saying let the owner's keep all of it, but those that spread the wealth a little seem to be more successful... Brady, Mahomes.....

Reply/Quote
I think them taking this long is actually a good thing because it means that they're trying to work out a longer-term deal, like Mahomes did, that won't cripple the team but will make him a lot of guaranteed money.

I could be wrong but I hope I'm not for the sake of the franchise because, once he wins us at least one Super Bowl, his next contract would be insane, even at that age.

I also think they're just trying to structure it so they can take care of the rest of the team.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 04:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I understand it, but I care so much more about the team having more good players than one guy being the highest paid at his position.   Just 2 years ago Josh Allen signed for $43M and in less than 24 months the number has to be $53M or the QB wont be happy?  Again, I get it.  But I will not be a bleeding heart for these guys that make millions playing a game, especially QBs at the > $40M per year, which is insanity - yes, again, I get it, they generate the revenue, I'm not saying let the owner's keep all of it, but those that spread the wealth a little seem to be more successful... Brady, Mahomes.....

the engima of great QBs, how much to pay them or structure the contract before it starts to hurt the balance of the team... I do think in general we have about a 5 year window before we would have to really start to dismantle a solid team around him
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 04:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: the engima of great QBs, how much to pay them  or structure the contract before it starts to hurt the balance of the team... I do think in general we have about a 5 year window before we would have to really start to dismantle a solid team around him

TV contracts are only going to rise and the gambling monies will explode, if we do things right now we should be ok.  It will all be contingent on Burrow and Chase for the next few years and their demands.

Reply/Quote