Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newskin spray
Anyone ever use it on an open wound? The box says it "may sting a little till dry" A little? It feels like a flame thrower on open wounds! I took of an entire layer of skin on my hand down to the meat with a 5 pound slide hammer so there's nothing to stitch back together. i tried newskin and that stuff is like putting my hand in a blast furnace for a few minutes.. may sting a little indeed!  BTW..if you ever use a slide hammer watch where your hands are at all times. I knew this, but since i was pretty exhausted when I was using mine I slipped and BAM! It'll just crush a layer of skin completely off.. Anyone who thinks I'm a weenie I finished replacing both rear bearings on my truck and put it all back together after ripping the layer of skin off and THEN put all the tools away... I slapped a bandage on it and went back to work.. Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 09:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: Anyone ever use it on an open wound? The box says it "may sting a little till dry" A little? It feels like a flame thrower on open wounds! I took of an entire layer of skin on my hand down to the meat with a 5 pound slide hammer so there's nothing to stitch back together. i tried newskin and that stuff is like putting my hand in a blast furnace for a few minutes.. may sting a little indeed!  BTW..if you ever use a slide hammer watch where your hands are at all times. I knew this, but since i was pretty exhausted when I was using mine I slipped and BAM! It'll just crush a layer of skin completely off.. Anyone who thinks I'm a weenie I finished replacing both rear bearings on my truck and put it all back together after ripping the layer of skin off and THEN put all the tools away... I slapped a bandage on it and went back to work.. Nervous

The actual patch type (mole skin, etc.) I don't think hurt much.  The liquid ones, on the other hand, are as bad (or worse) as you described.  That is because of the solvents.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2021, 10:12 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The actual patch type (mole skin, etc.) I don't think hurt much.  The liquid ones, on the other hand, are as bad (or worse) as you described.  That is because of the solvents.

Acetone is the real culprit.. Oh well.. For years I've plunged cuts and scrapes right into lacquer thinner, but this isn't just any ordinary scrape. it's the entire layer of skin down to the muscle in my hand. That piece of skin died instantly and turned gray before I even looked down at it.. LOL I gotta figure out some way to stop rolling over the hand in my sleep. It kind of feels like someone was beating it with a rubber mallet for awhile..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Ain't it strange how most injuries don't really hurt when they happen nearly as much as a day or two afterwards?  When I caught my hand with the slide hammer I knew it was bad, but kept on working. Laying in bed thinking about the actual moment of impact with the hammer part of the slide hurt far more than actually doing it. I get shooting mental pain just thinking about it. Cut yourself with a kitchen knife? Oh well...bandage it and go back to work, but if you had to think about cutting your hand open, even quickly would hurt far more than it does when it happens suddenly without warning.. In sports the accidents typically happen fast without warning which I think is why we can go right back to doing them after experiencing excruciating pain from an injury. If you had to stop and wait for a leg to be broken you'd never do it..

Reply/Quote
Didn't you say in the game day thread you were in the ER for mashing your hand? If so I'd go with whatever treatment they did and suggested as follow up care. If that isn't working then perhaps time to go back to the doctor. I mean from your posts here it sounds fairly serious and like you have been trying to treat it yourself. Just my opinion.

Either way I hope it gets better soon.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:28 AM)grampahol Wrote: Acetone is the real culprit.. Oh well.. For years I've plunged cuts and scrapes right into lacquer thinner, but this isn't just any ordinary scrape. it's the entire layer of skin down to the muscle in my hand. That piece of skin died instantly and turned gray before I even looked down at it.. LOL I gotta figure out some way to stop rolling over the hand in my sleep. It kind of feels like someone was beating it with a rubber mallet for awhile..

I feel for you there.  I have Frozen Shoulder and toss and have always tossed and turned at night.  Constantly waking up in intense pain from unknowingly aggravating injury doesn't lead to being well rested.
Reply/Quote
If you ever try to use that stuff as a condom make sure you are at "maximum expansion" when you spray it on.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:16 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ain't it strange how most injuries don't really hurt when they happen nearly as much as a day or two afterwards?  When I caught my hand with the slide hammer I knew it was bad, but kept on working. Laying in bed thinking about the actual moment of impact with the hammer part of the slide hurt far more than actually doing it. I get shooting mental pain just thinking about it. Cut yourself with a kitchen knife? Oh well...bandage it and go back to work, but if you had to think about cutting your hand open, even quickly would hurt far more than it does when it happens suddenly without warning.. In sports the accidents typically happen fast without warning which I think is why we can go right back to doing them after experiencing excruciating pain from an injury. If you had to stop and wait for a leg to be broken you'd never do it..

It's like when you take a shot to the nads.... for a few seconds, you know the pain is coming, and that's almost worse than the pain.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 07:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you ever try to use that stuff as a condom make sure you are at "maximum expansion" when you spray it on.

Sounds like the voice of experience.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:55 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Didn't you say in the game day thread you were in the ER for mashing your hand?  If so I'd go with whatever treatment they did and suggested as follow up care.  If that isn't working then perhaps time to go back to the doctor.   I mean from your posts here it sounds fairly serious and like you have been trying to treat it yourself.  Just my opinion.

Either way I hope it gets better soon.

Hospital did almost nothing. They rewrapped it with the same gauze I used first time around. Didn't clean it and I didn't get any antibiotics.

Oh well,..it's starting to heal. There was a fairly large hole down to the meat of my hand. It's slowly filling in. Still hurts to move that part of my hand, but it'll heal up in another week or so.. I used another blast of Newskin yesterday with no pain..

Reply/Quote