Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton or sweat?
(02-07-2024, 10:30 AM)Whatever Wrote: Kingpin has definitely boosted his stock.  I'm also surprised I don't see any love for Darius Robinson after he wrecked just about everyone at the Senior Bowl.

I don't see Robinson as the #18 pick level  but let's how combines go
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2024, 01:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt dude was great, but I see him more as a 5-Tech. Absolutely no issue with taking him (perhaps do the unpopular thing of releasing Hubard), but he does little for our DT need

We do have bigger needs on the defensive line.  If Robinson really is in the JJ Watt mold type player you would love to have someone like that on the team.  Of course it's hard to tell what these guys will actually do once in the NFL so he could end up a bust.
Reply/Quote
Guys like Leonard Taylor and Maason Smith are going to rise after the combine.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2024, 06:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Guys like Leonard Taylor and Maason Smith are going to rise after the combine.

Smith is going to be a hot commodity simply because he can pretty much play anywhere in just about any scheme.  I think he's ranked way low because of that.  Even if he only develops to be a rotational guy, having a guy like that on your bench is very valuable.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2024, 06:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Guys like Leonard Taylor and Maason Smith are going to rise after the combine.

I think Jordan Jefferson is going to rise as well.  6'2 323 4.7 40
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 11:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I know there is a big gap now, but I think it’s gonna be a 8-10 player gap come draft time. Regardless, I believe both are gonna be PHENOMENAL players, but 2 vastly different ones. Both will or should be available when we pick. Who would you choose if you had to choose one and why?

I would like them both.  Newton is special and rare talent.
Sweat would replace Reader and is what the Bengals need for the future.  But if it were me, I would draft them both and maybe move up to do so.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 05:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would like them both.  Newton is special and rare talent.
Sweat would replace Reader and is what the Bengals need for the future.  But if it were me, I would draft them both and maybe move up to do so.  

Yes, I would be more than fine with a Draft starting out with Newton and Sweat if we don't address DT in free Agency.

I like both Maason Smith and Leonard Taylor in the 3rd or 4th round as well if we want a 3-tech and Newton is taken ahead of 18.
Reply/Quote
Before these statements cause anyone to freak out I want to go on the record as saying that Newton is a very good football player. Now with that said I am starting to watch tape of full defensive outings for Illinois such as the one I just watched of their defense against Kansas. In the Kansas game I did notice that he seems to come off of the field for pretty decent amounts of time and I feel like his lack of length could be somewhat of an issue in the NFL as he seems to miss a fair amount of tackles due to this lack of length.

While he is certainly disruptive and plays with a great motor, I do not at all see an Aaron Donald type prospect from the tape I have seen to this point. I can also see why he has seemed to have slid down some boards over the past month or so. Just some observations that may or may not mean anything.

* Penn State - Newton was a bit more of a factor in this game but the biggest thing I took away from this tape is that I really like the LG for PSU - JB Nelson. Newton seemed to have a bit more success against the right side of the Penn State line than he did against the left side which did feature Nelson and Fashanu.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 12:18 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Before these statements cause anyone to freak out I want to go on the record as saying that Newton is a very good football player. Now with that said I am starting to watch tape of full defensive outings for Illinois such as the one I just watched of their defense against Kansas. In the Kansas game I did notice that he seems to come off of the field for pretty decent amounts of time and I feel like his lack of length could be somewhat of an issue in the NFL as he seems to miss a fair amount of tackles due to this lack of length.

While he is certainly disruptive and plays with a great motor, I do not at all see an Aaron Donald type prospect from the tape I have seen to this point. I can also see why he has seemed to have slid down some boards over the past month or so. Just some observations that may or may not mean anything.

* Penn State - Newton was a bit more of a factor in this game but the biggest thing I took away from this tape is that I really like the LG for PSU - JB Nelson. Newton seemed to have a bit more success against the right side of the Penn State line than he did against the left side which did feature Nelson and Fashanu.
Thanks for the insight
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote