Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next 5 to get signed
(10-25-2015, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals have done a terrific job in recent years, in terms of retaining the talent that they have drafted and developed.
As we approach the middle of this season, it occurs to me that Marvin Jones, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Thompson, George Iloka, and Kevin Zeitler are the next 5 that the team will have to get signed.

How would you rank them, in terms of priority of ensuring that they remain a Bengal through the prime of their careers?

I have them as:

1.  George Iloka;  Personally, I see him as top 5 at his position, and could retire as a Bengal Legend.
2.  Kevin Zeitler;  I see him as top 10 at his position, and continuity is key with a good OL.
3.  Marvin Jones;  The way he fights for the ball, I put him on my "all effort" team.  He was really missed last season.
4.  Mo Sanu;  As much as I like Sanu, I also see him being fairly easy to replace by draft or mid range FA.
5.  B. Thomson;  There is a reason I rank him last in priority.  He's never really impressed me, let him move on.

Priority 1 is Iioka
2 is Jones only because Zeitler is already locked up through 2016
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't get why we can't keep both Marvin and Mo. I get it, they are both good receivers and could chase $$$ to play somewhere else. However, I think Sanu is devoted to Cinci and will play for less to stick with Andy and the crew. So pay Marvin the big bucks (semi big bucks lol), give Mo a lower tier contract and retain both. It can be done.
Reply/Quote
I'd prioritize WG over Thompson at this point. Only because Hardison and Williams looked capable and are waiting in the wings. Fan of Thompson tho, just not sold on Hunt and Clarke as end depth.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 01:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'd prioritize WG over Thompson at this point. Only because Hardison and Williams looked capable and are waiting in the wings. Fan of Thompson tho, just not sold on Hunt and Clarke as end depth.

Totally. Clarke and Hunt have contributed very little. I'd say DE is our biggest need right now.

Reply/Quote
IIRC Dalton gets a bonus if they win the Superbowl -- could impact re-signings. It'd be a nice problem to have though.

Reply/Quote
Adam jones will be the top priority. Followed by Illoka .

Jones and Sanu will go into contract death match. Two men enter one man gets the contract.
Reply/Quote
Iloka then Zeitler. Anything else is gravy.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 05:02 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: IIRC Dalton gets a bonus if they win the Superbowl -- could impact re-signings. It'd be a nice problem to have though.

IIRC that bonus would count against this years cap and we still have money available.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I say iloka,MLJ, and sanu. Should be able to sign all three. Safeties usually don't break the bank. I do believe we can sign Sanu to a relatively cheap deal. After we work on jones we offer big Z a deal. Like what I see from him, but put injury clauses.
Reply/Quote
One of the receivers and Iloka would be best IMO. This team had some spectacular misadventures hunting for a number 2 receiver after TJ left them, and IMO it scarred their free agent philosophy permanently . You have to keep Jones or Sanu in the fold somehow. It's scary thin if both leave via FA. You have AJ, Alford and nobody at that point. Not a good scenario. Even if they draft a receiver in 1 or 2, one of these guys needs to be re-signed.

I'd also sign Iloka. There's just nothing there if both he and Nelson leave.

Pacman will be an interesting case. I wonder how far his past follows him when he hits the market again. Will we still get a discount for believing in him? He's worked his way to starter status and is having an All Pro year. He's the player Tennessee drafted in the top ten, fully matured. I'd hate to lose the guy.
Reply/Quote
For a long time we looked for a safety like Iloka so I think he is a must sign.

To me Hardison looks like a WGilberry clone and williams would be a possible Geno back up.

But I think your list is spot on.
Reply/Quote
Iloka, Marvin Jones are very important.

However Adam Jones, is maybe even more important. He plays with such passion/fire and is a leader of the D.

Zietler is locked up though 2016, together with Kirkpatrick. But with very big contracts.
Maybe get them signed for longer deals, with lowering their cap for 2016.

No matter what, is team is facing huge challanges after this season.
They are playing extremely well, and have many starters/regulars with expiring contracts.

Normally this is no good news.
Reply/Quote
According to Spotrac (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/), the Bengals have 40 players signed for next year at a little over $118mm. They are projecting a $150mm cap, while others I have read anticipate $153mm or even up to $160mm. As of now they'd roll over $8mm, but let's assume some roster bonuses are met and they only roll over $4mm. Using the $153mm cap total, they'd have $157mm total cap for 2016. So as of today, they have around $38.7mm of space for 2016.

Let's assume five of next year's draft picks make the active roster at a cap hit around $6mm. Then throw in another $1mm for practice squad players. That takes the space down to $31.7mm with 45 guys signed.

Now let's assume the Bengals keep around $8mm of space cushion, which is around their norm. That puts them down to $23.7mm to sign eight players, assuming they don't sign Dre K or Zeitler long term to help get their numbers down.

I would guess with around $23.7mm to play with, they could sign two of the three of Iloka, M. Jones and A. Jones while still having enough space to add the remaining six guys at close to minimum deals but it could be close. I don't see any way they sign all three without using more of their allotted space than the team has shown it is willing to do in the past. The only way would be if the cap was closer to $160mm and/or if one of those guys were signed way less than what I expect. I would guess M. Jones is the most expendable of the group and the team would be willing to use one of their first three picks to find his replacement.
Reply/Quote
Top 3 are must signs and we need to resign pacman as well when is eiferts contract up?
The earlier he gets resigned the cheaper he will be . He is going to do wonders for dalton and this offense
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 10:12 AM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Top 3 are must signs and we need to resign pacman as well when is eiferts contract up?
The earlier he gets resigned the cheaper he will be . He is going to do wonders for dalton and this offense

Eifert is going into his third season.  He was a first round pick so I assume that means we have a 5th year option available.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don't get why we can't keep both Marvin and Mo. I get it, they are both good receivers and could chase $$$ to play somewhere else. However, I think Sanu is devoted to Cinci and will play for less to stick with Andy and the crew. So pay Marvin the big bucks (semi big bucks lol), give Mo a lower tier contract and retain both. It can be done.

what makes you think Sanu, a young guy will take a pay cut this early in his career? Come on man, that's pure homerism and it would be foolish for him to do so. NFL careers are short, why take pay cut the very first time you can get paid? Thats borderline idiotic.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 05:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Adam jones will be the top priority.   Followed by Illoka .  

Jones and Sanu will go into contract death match.   Two men enter one man gets the contract.

May not be a death match. Ask MJ (when Dunlap got his offer), and J.Joe (when Hall got his) and it's likely whichever one takes the cheapest offer. The Front office likes to play folks against each other when it comes to contract negotiations within the same position groups.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Receivers are usually easy to replace. I'm not sure Marvin Jones is easy to replace. Sanu would be much easier.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: My point was that getting a quality guy is going to cost you, which is what we are trying to avoid with MLJ and Sanu, correct?  The only other option is via the draft, in which case (with rare exception) the player will need developmental time.

It's really not a rare exception anymore. Rookie WR's contribute all the time.

Amari Cooper, Alshon Jeffery, DeAndre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, Odell Beckham, Stefon Diggs, TY Hilton, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin...etc. That's just from the last few years and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Dozens more have contributed at a similar level or better than what we'd expect from our #2 WR.

Sure there's been some draft failures, but the Bengals are good at drafting and getting good results out of rookies that are asked to start. I think signing either MLJ or Sanu and drafting a replacement for the one who walks would be a good route to take.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Woud like to see Sanu back in stripes as well. He gets some tough yards when needed.

But agree with priority ranking list by Sunset.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote