#2..... Joey Bosa
#3.....

Trey Hendrickson
New Orleans Saints · DE

Disruption rate: 17.5%

Sack rate: 4.1%

Total disruptions: 57

Sacks: 13.5

The pleasant surprise of the league's edge rushers in 2020, Hendrickson's appearance on this list should not be surprising to anyone who followed the most recent campaign. Hendrickson was incredibly effective at getting home, posting the highest sack rate of any of the top disruptors on this list. In fact, Hendrickson became the only player in the Next Gen Stats era (since 2016) to post a sack rate of 4 percent or better in a single season (min. 300 pass rushes). Even when he didn't get home, he still made a difference. His pressure rate trailed only T.J. Watt's league-best mark. He posted 53 pressures on 326 pass-rush snaps, marking the second-fewest pass-rush snaps by any player with 50-plus pressures in a single season in the Next Gen Stats era. Hendrickson, who had 6.5 sacks and 49 pressures in his first three seasons combined, broke out in his contract year, earning himself a healthy deal (four years, $60 million) with the Bengals in March.

#4.... Myles Garrett
#5.... Bud Dupree
#6.... Aaron Donald
#7.... Carl Lawson

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-disruptors-of-2020-aaron-donald-ranks-high-but-not-no-1
Reply/Quote
Never would've guessed the top 3 were all white guys.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: #1..... T.J. Watt
#2..... Joey Bosa
#3.....

Trey Hendrickson
New Orleans Saints · DE

The pleasant surprise of the league's edge rushers in 2020, Hendrickson's appearance on this list should not be surprising to anyone who followed the most recent campaign. Hendrickson was incredibly effective at getting home, posting the highest sack rate of any of the top disruptors on this list. In fact, Hendrickson became the only player in the Next Gen Stats era (since 2016) to post a sack rate of 4 percent or better in a single season (min. 300 pass rushes). Even when he didn't get home, he still made a difference. His pressure rate trailed only T.J. Watt's league-best mark. He posted 53 pressures on 326 pass-rush snaps, marking the second-fewest pass-rush snaps by any player with 50-plus pressures in a single season in the Next Gen Stats era. Hendrickson, who had 6.5 sacks and 49 pressures in his first three seasons combined, broke out in his contract year, earning himself a healthy deal (four years, $60 million) with the Bengals in March.

#4.... Myles Garrett
#5.... Bud Dupree
#6.... Aaron Donald
#7.... Carl Lawson

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-disruptors-of-2020-aaron-donald-ranks-high-but-not-no-1

I know a lot of people thought Hendrickson was a boring consolation prize to losing out on Lawson, but I think he has a lot more upside and will be an every down player for the Bengals. I was excited for the signing.

A really interesting podcast after the signing came from Paul Dehner Jr & Jay Morrison on Hear That Podcast Gowling from The Athletic. They interviewed Kat Terrell (if I recall) who used to cover the BEngals for ESPN and has been down doing that same job for ESPN with the Saints the past few years. They asked her to talk about Hendrickson and his rise. She had this to say...

Hendrickson, even as a rookie, really flashed and popped in practice to her as someone who was always getting after it. He was someone she noticed having these great practices, but he never got a lot of consistent opportunity in the games. She thought it was strange and kind of spoke on that... Basically, the Saints had invested a high draft pick in another player and the coaches/GM made sure that that guy got the major bulk of the on field opportunities and Hendrickson was there to just rotate in. But, once Hendricks got an actual chance to be a major contributor (last season), he exploded. Unfortunately for the Saints, they saw it too late, are in cap hell, and couldn't afford him.

These numbers are interesting to go through. I think Hendrickson will be a really valuable add!
Reply/Quote
Yeah well, some fans would complain if you hung em with a new rope which is why we need to always increase the rope budget.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
But but but... he was just a product of the line he played with..... Ninja
I think Hendrickson is going to have a great year here. If the offense hums the way I think it should, teams are going to have to throw to keep up, and Hendrickson, Reader, Ogunjobi and Hubbard ought to be able to get some real pressures.
Reply/Quote
If Hendrickson ends up being even close to the Watt/Bosa/Garrett universe, then he is well worth his contract.

If he ends up being more a product of the line he was on....not so much.

These stats don't really say one way or the other. They point to the fact that he flourished last year. Not the why. I suspect it is a bit of both. But flourishing as the focal point (getting doubled) and flourishing as the #2/#3 (not getting doubled) are two different things entirely.
Reply/Quote
He’s a hustle player - still need a tier 1 pass rusher. I think him and Issa I could have chemistry next to each other.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: #1..... T.J. Watt
#2..... Joey Bosa
#3.....

Trey Hendrickson
New Orleans Saints · DE

#4.... Myles Garrett
#5.... Bud Dupree
#6.... Aaron Donald
#7.... Carl Lawson

Hendrickson not an upgrade over Lawson. Yawn Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 01:33 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: He’s a hustle player - still need a tier 1 pass rusher. I think him and Issa I could have chemistry next to each other.

Who the hell is Issa lmao!
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who the hell is Issa lmao!

Think Issa ray from "insecure " tv show on hbo.
Reply/Quote
Phone corrected Ossai
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who the hell is Issa lmao!

Jesus in Arabic.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hendrickson not an upgrade over Lawson. Yawn Ninja

Yeah, he is. He does not have 2 repaired knees and trouble staying healthy
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 07:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, he is. He does not have 2 repaired knees and trouble staying healthy

You do know what the ninja means, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 07:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You do know what the ninja means, right?

Yeah, I do. I was looking at the board on my phone and missed the smiley.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 10:45 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I know a lot of people thought Hendrickson was a boring consolation prize to losing out on Lawson, but I think he has a lot more upside and will be an every down player for the Bengals. I was excited for the signing.

A really interesting podcast after the signing came from Paul Dehner Jr & Jay Morrison on Hear That Podcast Gowling from The Athletic. They interviewed Kat Terrell (if I recall) who used to cover the BEngals for ESPN and has been down doing that same job for ESPN with the Saints the past few years. They asked her to talk about Hendrickson and his rise. She had this to say...

Hendrickson, even as a rookie, really flashed and popped in practice to her as someone who was always getting after it. He was someone she noticed having these great practices, but he never got a lot of consistent opportunity in the games. She thought it was strange and kind of spoke on that... Basically, the Saints had invested a high draft pick in another player and the coaches/GM made sure that that guy got the major bulk of the on field opportunities and Hendrickson was there to just rotate in. But, once Hendricks got an actual chance to be a major contributor (last season), he exploded. Unfortunately for the Saints, they saw it too late, are in cap hell, and couldn't afford him.

These numbers are interesting to go through. I think Hendrickson will be a really valuable add!
She must be referring to Marcus Davenport.  Hendrickson's stats are way better in limited time.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 10:41 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Never would've guessed the top 3 were all white guys.

Lol wait this list will be racist by tmrw
Reply/Quote
When they signed Hendrickson, I watched the obligatory highlight reel and read a few snippets about him in order to form an opinion.  At first I had thought that he was a guy who feasted by moving to the 3 technique spot.  It turns out that he was objectively the best player in the NFL from the 7 tech position last year(according to Doug Farrar).  

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfls-best-pass-rushers-from-every-gap-aaron-donald-t-j-watt-cameron-heyward/

He's more athletic than a lot of people give him credit for.  While he did rush from the inside somewhat(can't find stats), he can absolutely bend the edge at a high level.  If allowed to pick between Lawson or Hendrickson for equal money, I'd absolutely rather have Hendrickson.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:09 AM)Yogo Wrote: She must be referring to Marcus Davenport.  Hendrickson's stats are way better in limited time.

Thats was my guess as well. She didn't name the player, but was adamant that the Saints staff gave that guy the in game snaps even though Hendrickson was showing well in practice.

Just looked it up. They interview her in the March 16th episode, for those interested. I have an Athletic sub, but i you do don't, you can still listen without cost via the free app "Podcast Player" (it's a purple app icon with a little broadcast tower in it). Type "Bengals" in the search bar and scroll down to Hear That Podcast Growlin, and then scroll down to the March 16th episode.
Reply/Quote
Lots of great d-lines in the league, but I don't see any schlubs posting 13 sack seasons because "the other guys are good". I have a feeling this guy is going to be a pleasant surprise for some.

That said, we all know that if he posts 8 sacks, people are going to puff their chests out and say "see?"

When in reality, that's still a good season and more sacks than Lawson had last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote