Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Season lineup/P staff
Looking forward I can see the Reds finally being competitive next season if they can/will retain the starting pitching they have and the noob's develop and continue to grow.

A starting staff of:

Castillo
Bauer
Wood
Gray
Disco

They'd be in the top 1/4 of the league wouldn't they ?

Then outfield of Aquino R Senzel C and platoon Winker/Ervin in L

How about an infield of Suarez 3B Iggy SS Van Meter 2B and _________ 1B or how about Peraza at 2B and Van Meter at 1B ? They have to do something with Joey Votto IMHO, you just can't have a 1Bman with 40 RBI's batting .255

And they need a closer, again IMHO R. Iglesias just isn't showing closer stuff consistently enough. But if they can keep Garrett, Lorenzen, Sims and add a closer I think this team can shake the playoff cage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm leaning towards the thought process that Wood will most likely not be here next year. Productive Left Handed starters are outside of small market Cincinnati's price range. Gausman, Sims and Mahle may battle for that 5th spot.

BUT . . . I am quite happy with the state of their lineup right now, especially the youngsters. They really don't need a lot next year other than more out of Votto and a more stable bullpen.

Grabbing another utility player is a step backwards. Unless a stud LF or 2B wants to come here, stand pat and work on the bullpen. Maybe VanMeter becomes the everyday 2B. He'd have to be a better defensive option than from what we've seen from Gennett or Dietrich.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:01 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm leaning towards the thought process that Wood will most likely not be here next year. Productive Left Handed starters are outside of small market Cincinnati's price range. Gausman, Sims and Mahle may battle for that 5th spot

I'd say you're right I'm just dreaming a little.

I'm hoping they can somehow find a trade partner for Votto and he's willing. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him some good ? I thought there was zero chances they'd ever move Bailey and they did so...............
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say you're right I'm just dreaming a little.

I'm hoping they can somehow find a trade partner for Votto and he's willing. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him some good ? I thought there was zero chances they'd ever move Bailey and they did so...............

Yeah, moving Bailey opened up a lot for them next year. Bailey, Puig, Roark, Kemp, Hernandez, Hughes and maybe Wood, Iglesias will be off of their spring training books. Look for them to make a run at Iglesias and maybe they have enough next year to sign both Iglesias and Wood.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yeah, moving Bailey opened up a lot for them next year. Bailey, Puig, Roark, Kemp, Hernandez, Hughes and maybe Wood, Iglesias will be off of their spring training books. Look for them to make a run at Iglesias and maybe they have enough next year to sign both Iglesias and Wood.

I've got my fingers crossed they can sign em both.  I'm ready for some winning for a change ! This rebuilding process going on forever has to turn into contending at some point. And that means rolling the dice and saying the time is now.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 12:01 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm leaning towards the thought process that Wood will most likely not be here next year. Productive Left Handed starters are outside of small market Cincinnati's price range. Gausman, Sims and Mahle may battle for that 5th spot.

BUT . . . I am quite happy with the state of their lineup right now, especially the youngsters. They really don't need a lot next year other than more out of Votto and a more stable bullpen.

Grabbing another utility player is a step backwards. Unless a stud LF or 2B wants to come here, stand pat and work on the bullpen. Maybe VanMeter becomes the everyday 2B. He'd have to be a better defensive option than from what we've seen from Gennett or Dietrich.

Wood has expressed openly that he likes the players on the pitching staff and may sign an extension.  Some teams may be wary of his injury history.  At least I hope he remains healthy and is a Red at least next year and beyond.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Mam does Aquino look like a star in the making ! Let's hope they can keep his head from swelling to much.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2019, 11:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mam does Aquino look like a star in the making ! Let's hope they can keep his head from swelling to much.

Well SOMEBODY has to match the look of their bobblehead figurine .. 
He really doesn't have the look of a power hitter in the batters box, but looks are deceiving..  I wish I had a nickle for every player over the years I thought, 'Well this kid doesn't fit the mold.'
Did anyone think they'd let Castillo hit again after just looking at his bat after knocking the ball into right field for a would be base hit? Yeah, me either..  Smirk
Who's Mam by the way? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The lineup and p staff may look significantly different by the time opening day, 2020 rolls around depending on who decides they want to trade with the team in the offseason or not. As for this season? It's been a whole lot better than last season and worth following.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2019, 11:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mam does Aquino look like a star in the making ! Let's hope they can keep his head from swelling to much.

It was interesting how he finished the game. They didn’t throw him anything to hit and he continued to chase. I’m guessing that he will continue to be pitched that way for a bit to see if he adjusts.
Reply/Quote

Aquino is 25 and has been playing professional baseball for 8 years.  He has never hit like he has this year.  I hope it isn't because of PEDs.

Prior to this season he had never played at the AAA level and did not show much power in 2 years at AA (37 HR in 863 at bats, .227 avg, .421 slg).  But this year in AAA he had 28 HR in just 294 at bats with a .299 avg and .636 slg.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2019, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Aquino is 25 and has been playing professional baseball for 8 years.  He has never hit like he has this year.  I hope it isn't because of PEDs.

Prior to this season he had never played at the AAA level and did not show much power in 2 years at AA (37 HR in 863 at bats, .227 avg, .421 slg).  But this year in AAA he had 28 HR in just 294 at bats with a .299 avg and .636 slg.

Oh c'mon Fred.. Do we HAVE to rain on every parade with baseless quasi accusations? Just enjoy the ride for once. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:38 AM)grampahol Wrote: Oh c'mon Fred.. Do we HAVE to rain on every parade with baseless quasi accusations? Just enjoy the ride for once. 

Oh I am enjoying it.  In fact we pretty much had to have someone unexpected break out for us to have any hope for the rest of this year.  But it is just curious to see a player to improve his game that dramatically at that age.
Reply/Quote