Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next man up: Phillips to Nats
http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/159755430/nationals-reds-talking-brandon-phillips-trade

Looks like Dusty wants BP on his new team. Phillips would have to waive his no trade status, I think he will if he enjoyed his time playing for Dusty. No mention of what might comeback in return. Keeping in mind Reds want near or ready big league prospects my top choice would be:

Christopher Bostick 2B/OF

Bostick stands out most for his offensive ability. He sprays line drives to all fields, and has more power than his size would suggest. He knows how to work a walk and has the speed to make things happen when he gets on base. But he's also something of a free swinger, and struck out more than 115 times in each of his first two years of full-season ball.

Bostick's defense is more of a question mark. He has primarily played second base in the Minor Leagues, but may fit best in a utility role.
Reply/Quote
Don't know where you got that scouting report on Bostick, but his numbers don't back it up.

He will be 23 this year and he has never played above the AA level where he hit .247 with only 12 BB in 296 at bats.
Reply/Quote
BP has been a great player for us and I love his energy but we are going to stink for at least 2 years so there is no reason to keep him. He would have a shot at winning a ring there. BP is my kids favorite player but if they can get value for him you got to try to trade him. Baseball needs to change and keep all the markets viable ever year not just once in a while.  I for one believe it is killing the interest in the sport. World Series use to be a big deal. Now I don't even bother watching it. Anyway thats my 2 cents.
Reply/Quote
Never thought we would be able to move Phillip's contract.

I will hate to see him go, but if we use the money we save to improve the team it would be the best move in the long run.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know where you got that scouting report on Bostick, but his numbers don't back it up.

He will be 23 this year and he has never played above the AA level where he hit .247 with only 12 BB in 296 at bats.

Scouting report was right from MLB.com
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=was

All of the Nats top prospects are 23 or younger and have only played at A or AA, so there really is t the type of player the Reds want and I doubt we get any top 10 ranked guy. I went with a mid ranked guy with upside.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 01:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never thought we would be able to move Phillip's contract.

I will hate to see him go, but if we use the money we save to improve the team it would be the best move in the long run.

He has a no trade clause so my guess is he won't be going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 09:26 PM)cinci4life Wrote: He has a no trade clause so my guess is he won't be going anywhere.

Not really a no trade clause, it's the 5/10 rule, but I think there's a chance he waived it to play for a contender and play for Baker again, IF he liked playing for Baker before.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 01:14 PM)tigerseye Wrote: BP has been a great player for us and I love his energy but we are going to stink for at least 2 years so there is no reason to keep him. He would have a shot at winning a ring there. BP is my kids favorite player but if they can get value for him you got to try to trade him. Baseball needs to change and keep all the markets viable ever year not just once in a while.  I for one believe it is killing the interest in the sport. World Series use to be a big deal. Now I don't even bother watching it. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Agree.....BP plays as hard as anyone in the game, day in and day out.  He has became one of my all time favorite Reds.  He deserves a crack at a ring.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 09:26 PM)cinci4life Wrote: He has a no trade clause so my guess is he won't be going anywhere.

Don't know why he would be so eager to stay here and play with a team of AAA players next year.

He gets his salary no matter where he plays.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know why he would be so eager to stay here and play with a team of AAA players next year.

He gets his salary no matter where he plays.

Votto is not going to waive his, so who knows......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14392803/washington-nationals-move-closer-acquiring-brandon-phillips

Looks like a done deal if BP waives no trade status, multiple prospects in return.
Reply/Quote
Gonna miss BP this is sad seeing all of my favorites leaving
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know where you got that scouting report on Bostick, but his numbers don't back it up.

Exactly what the Reds need. Another free swinger who strikes out often. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 03:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Exactly what the Reds need. Another free swinger who strikes out often. 

at least the games will be over quick minus the other half the innings since we traded away all our defensive players,
Reply/Quote
And the Reds inability to consummate a trade continues to be flaccid. Washington has called off the trade because the Reds took too long to convince BP to waive 5/10 status. This rebuild is going to continue into the next front office regime apparently.
Reply/Quote
Reds front office is just flat out bad. 2 trades fall apart in what, a week?
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 06:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And the Reds inability to consummate a trade continues to be flaccid. Washington has called off the trade because the Reds took too long to convince BP to waive 5/10 status. This rebuild is going to continue into the next front office regime apparently.

I knew he wasn't going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 10:04 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I knew he wasn't going anywhere.

Hard to believe he'd want to stay here with zero chance of being competitive.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He should have went to DC and proved he still has it in the next two years. Him and his agent just blew a great opportunity. Big stage to show that he still has it and to a worlds series type team.  Not to bright. Hitting .280 on a 100 loss team big deal. Go do it in the playoffs and you could extend your career. Like BP but in my little opinion he made a mistake.
Reply/Quote
Look. We know this was about money. The Reds knew he had some leverage. Reds should have ponied up some money in this deal. They were lucky they had a buyer in Dusty. Now what. Very few teams want Phillip's contract at his age. Much less give up a lot of prospects for him.
Reply/Quote