Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next step for NFL Draft is revolutionary
How does it sound if us fans start to make the picks for the Bengals? We couldn't do any worse could we?  Its an interesting concept, but one I highly doubt comes to fruition, unfortunately. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/fans-making-nfl-draft-picks-next-revolutionary-step-143250299.html
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Terrible idea. I'm all for informal polls on this and other sites but NFL front offices have access to info we never will. Not to mention an eye for player skill, traits etc. we'd blow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The Packers are publicly owned. That would be the perfect place to start such a thing.
Reply/Quote
i would sign up as a packers fan and vote the worst players every year

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If teams were to do this, they'd need to have some sort of interview process to select someone who was pretty competent and does his/her due diligence when it comes to researching prospects. With that said, I think it could be a great opportunity to get some knowledgeable, passionate fans some exposure to eventually become scouts or work as professional draft experts. I know there are quite a few on this board that would LOVE an opportunity like that based on how active our draft forums are.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There's zero chance this would happen. A lot of these guys are drafting and scouting for their livelihoods. I doubt there's many who would put that much faith or pressure on another person when they're the ones who are taking the biggest risk.
Reply/Quote
Actually, read the article. It says that they are considering having fans vote for one UDFA for each team. I could actually see that happening at some point.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Actually, read the article.  It says that they are considering having fans vote for one UDFA for each team.  I could actually see that happening at some point.

Yes, this could happen because it is so low risk.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 05:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: How does it sound if us fans start to make the picks for the Bengals? We couldn't do any worse could we?  Its an interesting concept, but one I highly doubt comes to fruition, unfortunately. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/fans-making-nfl-draft-picks-next-revolutionary-step-143250299.html

Sounds like a great idea until you realise that we would just get stuck with some Buckeyes scrub every year because of all the OSU homers.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 10:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sounds like a great idea until you realise that we would just get stuck with some Buckeyes scrub every year because of all the OSU homers.

Ya......I hadn't of thought of that before, but you do make a perfect point.  Sick
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 10:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sounds like a great idea until you realise that we would just get stuck with some Buckeyes scrub every year because of all the OSU homers.

Considering he would be a glorified UDFA with no real cost to cut it's not that big of a problem.
Reply/Quote
Another thought: What about if fans from opposing teams started voting for the worst player to be drafted to your team?
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 03:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: Considering he would be a glorified UDFA with no real cost to cut it's not that big of a problem.

The average 7th round pick gets a signing bonus of over $50k.  KD Cannon(who just got cut after 9'ers minicamp), got $45k guaranteed between a $5k signing bonus and $40k in guaranteed salary.  It's still a substantial amount to pay out for a guy that the owner, coaches, and/or management didn't want.  Plus, do you really want to be the guy who cuts the fan's pick and he goes on to be a significant contributor somewhere else?
Reply/Quote

You know, if the person was someone from this board, there'd be a decent chance it wouldn't be some Buckeye scrub. There really aren't that many posters on here that are Buckeye homers. I think part of that has to do that a decent amount of people that post on here live outside of Cincinnati/Columbus. Another part is we have some rather intelligent fans on here that understand that not all the best players come from a single school.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You know, if the person was someone from this board, there'd be a decent chance it wouldn't be some Buckeye scrub. There really aren't that many posters on here that are Buckeye homers. I think part of that has to do that a decent amount of people that post on here live outside of Cincinnati/Columbus. Another part is we have some rather intelligent fans on here that understand that not all the best players come from a single school.

It used to be really bad on the mothership. The OSU homerism quieted down after the 2011 for the most part. However, people used to post mocks where over 70% of the draft was OSU players and people would say that it would be a smart draft. I didn't really have a problem with OSU players, but 2009 was what drove me crazy. There were so many Rey vs. Laurinaitis debates it got sickening. We invited Todd Boeckman to rookie camp on a tryout and passed on him. We had some saying we'd regret it and he would've automatically been our backup QB.

The only little dust up I've seen in recent memory is the whole Hyde vs. Hill and that didn't last long.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 03:57 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It used to be really bad on the mothership. The OSU homerism quieted down after the 2011 for the most part. However, people used to post mocks where over 70% of the draft was OSU players and people would say that it would be a smart draft. I didn't really have a problem with OSU players, but 2009 was what drove me crazy. There were so many Rey vs. Laurinaitis debates it got sickening. We invited Todd Boeckman to rookie camp on a tryout and passed on him. We had some saying we'd regret it and he would've automatically been our backup QB.

The only little dust up I've seen in recent memory is the whole Hyde vs. Hill and that didn't last long.

If you could go back in time, would you take Laurinaitis over Maualuga? Or Hyde over Hill?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 04:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you could go back in time, would you take Laurinaitis over Maualuga? Or Hyde over Hill?

Hindsight is 20/20.

I was never on the LB bandwagon in 2009. I didn't care for Rey because so many people were clamoring for him at #6 when our OL looked like crap. I was on the OL bandwagon. If we did take LB, then I was all for Laurinaitis. I'd probably take Hyde over Hill, but I wasn't on the RB bandwagon either. Neither guy is spectacular, but Hyde produces when healthy. Hill had an amazing rookie year, but something is off with him now. He just doesn't seem to have vision anymore.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 04:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you could go back in time, would you take Laurinaitis over Maualuga? Or Hyde over Hill?

I hated Maualuga as a prospect and prefered Laurinaitis due to his smarts and coverage ability, but a lot of people were hypnotized by the perception that Rey was this enforcer and every team we faced was going to be scared to run the ball for fear of their RB being decapitated.  

I would still go with Hill over Hyde, though.  Hyde has missed 14 games compared to one for Hill.  Hill's run for almost 1,000 more yards and 16 more TD's.  Hill has nearly 200 more receiving yards.  Hill has actually had a 1,000 yard season.  Hyde's career ypc is only .2 better.  
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 03:57 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It used to be really bad on the mothership. The OSU homerism quieted down after the 2011 for the most part. However, people used to post mocks where over 70% of the draft was OSU players and people would say that it would be a smart draft. I didn't really have a problem with OSU players, but 2009 was what drove me crazy. There were so many Rey vs. Laurinaitis debates it got sickening. We invited Todd Boeckman to rookie camp on a tryout and passed on him. We had some saying we'd regret it and he would've automatically been our backup QB.

Man, so many OSU guys were overhyped by a ridiculous amount over there.  I still remember all those Bryan Robiskie circle jerk threads.  Plus, our FO was stupid every time they didn't claim the latest Buckeye bust off of waivers. I remember those horrible Vernon Gholston and Bobby Carpenter threads, and how MB doesn't care about winning because he didn't go after them.  The mantra with those guys was always, "They just didn't use him right!!!"
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 07:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Man, so many OSU guys were overhyped by a ridiculous amount over there.  I still remember all those Bryan Robiskie circle jerk threads.  Plus, our FO was stupid every time they didn't claim the latest Buckeye bust off of waivers. I remember those horrible Vernon Gholston and Bobby Carpenter threads, and how MB doesn't care about winning because he didn't go after them.  The mantra with those guys was always, "They just didn't use him right!!!"

I agree with the "They didn't use him right" mantra. The one that killed me was Anthony Schlegel. When we signed him 2007, people said he'd become our best LB because the Jets didn't use him right. He was playing in a 3-4 and moved to a 4-3. I went along with it because I knew very little about him. He came to us and did nothing special. A lot of the OSU fans said that we didn't run the right 4-3 for him to succeed in. That blew my mind. They refused to accept that this guy was just forgettable. We cut him and some of them said we'd regret it and he'd go to the Steelers and be a pain in our ass. Well he spent two years in the UFL before moving on to coaching.

Oh well.
Reply/Quote