Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nfl.com on Hill and Bengals Offense
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496517/article/jeremy-hill-bengals-offense-better-than-you-think

Not sure if its been posted.

Good stuff.
Reply/Quote
On paper it all sounds good. Problem is we never translate it to success on the field late in the season/playoffs when it matters.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On paper it all sounds good. Problem is we never translate it to success on the field late in the season/playoffs when it matters.

We have been getting better, and better every year. I think this will be our year. The team finally has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. If we can make it to the playoffs healthy we will win a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We have been getting better, and better every year. I think this will be our year. The team finally has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. If we can make it to the playoffs healthy we will win a playoff game.

Except for 2014 and that was against a relatively easy schedule. The team will need to play better this year to make the playoffs given this year's tougher schedule.

I hope to see a lot more Hill and better defensive play.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:47 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Except for 2014 and that was against a relatively easy schedule. The team will need to play better this year to make the playoffs given this year's tougher schedule.

I hope to see a lot more Hill and better defensive play.

2014 we had a very talented team, which was better than 2013. They just weren't all on the field playing. When we have A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Hill as starters we will have a very powerful offense. Our defense will be better by having people back that we didn't have last year too, and they won't be new to Guenthers scheme either. Like I said, if we stay healthy this will be our year.
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill is an absolute beast and I can't wait to watch his career unfold.

I still remember all the whining on the other board when we passed on Carlos Hyde for Hill. LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:00 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: 2014 we had a very talented team, which was better than 2013. They just weren't all on the field playing. When we have A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Hill as starters we will have a very powerful offense. Our defense will be better by having people back that we didn't have last year too, and they won't be new to Guenthers scheme either. Like I said, if we stay healthy this will be our year.

If and Butts were candy and nuts....Screw winning your first playoff game in over 2 decades! We're Super Bowl Champs if we stay healthy! Lets totally forget that NE, Seattle, Packers, etc are better as it is right now. Crazy to think this team is SB bound with essentially the same roster that craps themselves several years running when other teams actually have been there and done that. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 09:40 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Crazy to think this team is SB bound with essentially the same roster that craps themselves several years running when other teams actually have been there and done that. 

We actually have a much different roster on offense, and our defense has a few guys that will help it out a lot. We have had very little weapons in the post season, but if we stay healthy this year we will have enough to go far into the playoffs. Our defense improved considerably from last year if Atkins is really 100%, and Burfict is healthy (even if he's only healthy for the back half of the season). Not to mention getting other key players on defense back. If you want to think that we haven't been getting better every year then that's on you.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 10:18 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We actually have a much different roster on offense, and our defense has a few guys that will help it out a lot. We have had very little weapons in the post season, but if we stay healthy this year we will have enough to go far into the playoffs. Our defense improved considerably from last year if Atkins is really 100%, and Burfict is healthy (even if he's only healthy for the back half of the season). Not to mention getting other key players on defense back. If you want to think that we haven't been getting better every year then that's on you.

I do agree that this roster is pretty damn talented. I'm excited about the upcoming year, but you have to realize that most Bengals' fans have good reason to not believe the hype since we hear the same thing year after year after year with similar results.

In the early 2000's I remember it being "this is the year we make the playoffs!" (I can imagine Jungle Noise would have been the same way if it were around at the time), and then the same old, same old. Once we finally started making the playoffs, it has been "this is the year we win a playoff game!", then we get bounced in the WC round 6 times in the past 10 years.

As solid as I think the roster is, there's part of me that can't get tooooo excited just because of the last 25 years. There are a lot of people that share the same feelings, and it's for good reason. This team has gotten more people's hopes up than every stripper in Las Vegas combined. Every year I hear "this is the year! we've just been unlucky in the past!" from a portion of Bengals' fans, and it just loses it's luster once you hear it so many times without seeing results.

We could hire Bill Belichick, trade for Aaron Rodgers, J.J. Watt, and Rob Gronkowski, build a time machine and sign prime Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders, and there would still be people questioning if we could win a playoff game. It has gotten to the point that a lot of people are sick and tired of hearing about it being our year without the elusive playoff victory. Is making the playoffs every year now better than praying to get to .500? Sure! It makes the regular season a hell of a lot more fun as a fan of the team. It just sucks to hear the same crap all offseason each year with nothing more than playoff appearances to show for it.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 10:18 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: We actually have a much different roster on offense, and our defense has a few guys that will help it out a lot. We have had very little weapons in the post season, but if we stay healthy this year we will have enough to go far into the playoffs. Our defense improved considerably from last year if Atkins is really 100%, and Burfict is healthy (even if he's only healthy for the back half of the season). Not to mention getting other key players on defense back. If you want to think that we haven't been getting better every year then that's on you.

Sure, they have gotten better. That is a given with more experience. But so have other teams. Now it's a matter and proving it on the field. Still waiting....
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 10:44 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I do agree that this roster is pretty damn talented. I'm excited about the upcoming year, but you have to realize that most Bengals' fans have good reason to not believe the hype since we hear the same thing year after year after year with similar results.

In the early 2000's I remember it being "this is the year we make the playoffs!" (I can imagine Jungle Noise would have been the same way if it were around at the time), and then the same old, same old. Once we finally started making the playoffs, it has been "this is the year we win a playoff game!", then we get bounced in the WC round 6 times in the past 10 years.

As solid as I think the roster is, there's part of me that can't get tooooo excited just because of the last 25 years. There are a lot of people that share the same feelings, and it's for good reason. This team has gotten more people's hopes up than every stripper in Las Vegas combined. Every year I hear "this is the year! we've just been unlucky in the past!" from a portion of Bengals' fans, and it just loses it's luster once you hear it so many times without seeing results.

We could hire Bill Belichick, trade for Aaron Rodgers, J.J. Watt, and Rob Gronkowski, build a time machine and sign prime Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders, and there would still be people questioning if we could win a playoff game. It has gotten to the point that a lot of people are sick and tired of hearing about it being our year without the elusive playoff victory. Is making the playoffs every year now better than praying to get to .500? Sure! It makes the regular season a hell of a lot more fun as a fan of the team. It just sucks to hear the same crap all offseason each year with nothing more than playoff appearances to show for it.

Yep, been hearing the hype and excuses for years and years. In fact, been hearing it since Mike Brown inherited the team.

Won't believe it's our year until it happens. I am looking forward to seeing how Hill is used and how the defense plays. Expecting more or less the same Andy Dalton cause there's no reason to believe otherwise. He will have some really nice games but he'll also have some bad Andy games.

When it comes to the playoffs it's not like the team is losing close games, the team just gets blown out, panics and loses its head. That's true for Lewis and Dalton and the assistants and the defense and the receivers.

In those tough situations, the team has to rise above that panic feeling and keep their heads in the game. That starts with Lewis really, but has to continue with the assistants, the offense and the defense. It's one of those things that we really won't know until the situation arises and the team responds.

Reply/Quote
There is no reason why our offense can't put up some big numbers this year as long as we stay relatively healthy. I don't care if you hate Dalton, he's good enough to get the ball where it needs to be. He's also got a lot of fire power around him. We have 2 REALLY good backs. Both could start for most teams. AJ is elite, Marvin is good, and Sanu should play better with Jones back out on the field. Our offensive line should be pretty damn solid. Tyler can be a Pro Bowl caliber TE. We have a really good offensive roster. They need to click and fire on all cylinders.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 11:41 AM)The Dangler Wrote: There is no reason why our offense can't put up some big numbers this year as long as we stay relatively healthy. I don't care if you hate Dalton, he's good enough to get the ball where it needs to be. He's also got a lot of fire power around him. We have 2 REALLY good backs. Both could start for most teams. AJ is elite, Marvin is good, and Sanu should play better with Jones back out on the field. Our offensive line should be pretty damn solid. Tyler can be a Pro Bowl caliber TE. We have a really good offensive roster. They need to click and fire on all cylinders.

None of that means anything really come playoff time. It comes down to executing the offense and defense under the pressure of a big game. That's what's missing and it's been missing for a long time.

It doesn't matter how many pro-bowlers are on the team, it matters who shows up and plays well when it's time to be counted. That's really the issue with this team. It's not that the team isn't talented. Dalton is capable most of the time. It's the times he's not capable that cost the team. The same is true for AJ Green. He's not been a good playoff receiver. The defense also doesn't have good playoff games.

Not really interested in personal accolades. Far more interested in how the team performs as a team in big games.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:00 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: 2014 we had a very talented team, which was better than 2013. They just weren't all on the field playing. When we have A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Hill as starters we will have a very powerful offense. Our defense will be better by having people back that we didn't have last year too, and they won't be new to Guenthers scheme either. Like I said, if we stay healthy this will be our year.

It definitely would help.

However, the purpose of adding quality depth is to handle injuries to starters. Specifically, if the Bengals had quality depth at WR, TE , and LB last year, the injuries to Eifert, MLJ, and Burfict wouldn't have been as impactful.

On a related note, I do feel that the additions of Moore, Kroft, and Dawson help boost the depth and should lessen the blow in those position groups.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 03:10 AM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Jeremy Hill is an absolute beast and I can't wait to watch his career unfold.

I still remember all the whining on the other board when we passed on Carlos Hyde for Hill.  LOL

There's always going to be frustration when we pass on an OSU player. I didn't mind it when the boards first opened, but then it got old real quick.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I think this team is much closer to the 2013 team then it is to the 2014 team on both sides of the ball. The only question is Andy Dalton capable of being great or is he only good. If Andy can eliminate bad Andy then this team has a great chance of being great.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It's hard to not get caught up in the hype every year but this team certainly has the talent. Gotta remain healthy. Not going to be easy to even get to the playoffs with the schedule they have. But it's going be a lot of fun watching all the weapons we have develop into a cohesive unit. No reason for us not to be a smash mouth football team.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 03:10 AM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Jeremy Hill is an absolute beast and I can't wait to watch his career unfold.

I still remember all the whining on the other board when we passed on Carlos Hyde for Hill.  LOL

god osufan was being such a ***** about that
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 06:22 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: god osufan was being such a ***** about that

Personally I wanted Hyde over Hill too, but Hill was a close 2nd for me at least. In very happy that our team picked Hill.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 06:22 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: god osufan was being such a ***** about literally everything

Fixed it for you.
Reply/Quote