Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coordinators = Good
Gotta say this is the best games back to back games in terms of combined offense and defense total team wins. Normally it was one saving the other(defense saving the offense being the most common).

My main man DC Paulie G(I coined this nickname but I don't think it's catching on) is calling some real beauties out there. Lots of 3 and outs, lots of pressure, lots of disguises on the back end. I've always had a good feeling this guy would shine as DC and thought people were being rough on him last year when the whole world was hurt. Keep em spinning DC Paulie G

Hue.....Hue I wasn't so sure about. I loved Jay so it was gonna take alot to turn me even though Hue had a head start from being here before and doing a good job with the raiders. THe offense has looked crisp and unpredictable witha good balance of run/pass. Hue could've easily scrapped the run game after the fumbles and put Dalton in some bad spots, but he let Gio tote it and keep that no INT thing going. Keep it up Hueseph
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So far so good, fingers crossed they keep it up.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 06:49 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Gotta say this is the best games back to back games in terms of combined offense and defense total team wins.  Normally it was one saving the other(defense saving the offense being the most common).  

My main man DC Paulie G(I coined this nickname but I don't think it's catching on) is calling some real beauties out there.  Lots of 3 and outs, lots of pressure, lots of disguises on the back end.  I've always had a good feeling this guy would shine as DC and thought people were being rough on him last year when the whole world was hurt.  Keep em spinning DC Paulie G

Hue.....Hue I wasn't so sure about.  I loved Jay so it was gonna take alot to turn me even though Hue had a head start from being here before and doing a good job with the raiders.  THe offense has looked crisp and unpredictable witha good balance of run/pass.  Hue could've easily scrapped the run game after the fumbles and put Dalton in some bad spots, but he let Gio tote it and keep that no INT thing going.  Keep it up Hueseph

loved Jay you did???  oh my I couldn't wait to see him go and even offered to help him pack on his way out...

You knew Hue would be solid and its going to be fun seeing what he can do with a loaded arsenal of weapons, PG has been solid in his short time at the helm of the defense and will only get wiser with more experience
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 06:49 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Gotta say this is the best games back to back games in terms of combined offense and defense total team wins.  Normally it was one saving the other(defense saving the offense being the most common).  

My main man DC Paulie G(I coined this nickname but I don't think it's catching on) is calling some real beauties out there.  Lots of 3 and outs, lots of pressure, lots of disguises on the back end.  I've always had a good feeling this guy would shine as DC and thought people were being rough on him last year when the whole world was hurt.  Keep em spinning DC Paulie G

Hue.....Hue I wasn't so sure about.  I loved Jay so it was gonna take alot to turn me even though Hue had a head start from being here before and doing a good job with the raiders.  THe offense has looked crisp and unpredictable witha good balance of run/pass.  Hue could've easily scrapped the run game after the fumbles and put Dalton in some bad spots, but he let Gio tote it and keep that no INT thing going.  Keep it up Hueseph

With you 100%.  Having sat through the predictable Brat and the 3rd and 1 passing Gruden (although he was a huge improvement), I really have come to appreciate the "cover ever inch of the field" attacking offense of Hue.  I love to hear that he has empowered Dalton that this is HIS offense.  If there is a play he doesn't like, come to my office and we will bury it.  Dalton looks very comfortable in this offense now, and although that sounds like the kind of thing every OC would say to a QB it doesn't happen in reality.  Often egos get in the way and the "my way or the highway" attitude is present.  Hue has helped create a real chemistry with this group and let's not forget, he has brought a running game to town.  That balance is what will help this team so much come the postseason if they are fortunate enough to stay healthy and make it again (I believe wholeheartedly they will).

Paulie G has done a lot to play with his strengths.  He does seem more focused on generating the pass rush with the front four.  This could be both good and bad.  In the playoffs, it seems the refs "bury the flags" more and the maximum protection packages the Bengals have seen EVERY YEAR stifle their front four.  Granted, that front four has either been diminished by injury, or worn down by the lack of depth/rotation.  I just want to see a few more packages where someone like Carter is lined up as a fifth pass rusher, or the double A-gap blitz, or a safety/corner blitz (I think Shaw could cut his teeth here).

The combination of a great secondary and a really solid front four rotation is already paying dividends.  My only question is LB.  I still think a team like New England with their small, speedy targets would dink and dunk the Bengals to death.  The return of Burfict would go a long way to help cover that, but I would also like to see PJ Dawson get some playing time and perhaps be starting by the end of the season.  I am more than a little surprised to see Vinny Rey play so many snaps over Hawk, and he missed several key tackles in the run game early.  I love the guy's effort and how he made the team from the practice squad, but I think the best in the NFL will be too much for him.  Maualuga has played very well in the early season, and perhaps the starting nickel LBs will be he and Burfict  by the season's end.  I would just like to see Dawson get some game experience so if an injury happens late in the season, he isn't cutting his teeth at such a critical time. 

One last praise for DC Paulie G:  his use of Hall.  I was pretty hard on Leon coming in to the season.  I viewed his contract (as well as Peko's) as money that could be spent on Suh to pair next to Geno, but Leon has played extremely well in his role and I am glad he is out there with his experience. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you 100%.  Having sat through the predictable Brat and the 3rd and 1 passing Gruden (although he was a huge improvement), I really have come to appreciate the "cover ever inch of the field" attacking offense of Hue.  I love to hear that he has empowered Dalton that this is HIS offense.  If there is a play he doesn't like, come to my office and we will bury it.  Dalton looks very comfortable in this offense now, and although that sounds like the kind of thing every OC would say to a QB it doesn't happen in reality.  Often egos get in the way and the "my way or the highway" attitude is present.  Hue has helped create a real chemistry with this group and let's not forget, he has brought a running game to town.  That balance is what will help this team so much come the postseason if they are fortunate enough to stay healthy and make it again (I believe wholeheartedly they will).

Paulie G has done a lot to play with his strengths.  He does seem more focused on generating the pass rush with the front four.  This could be both good and bad.  In the playoffs, it seems the refs "bury the flags" more and the maximum protection packages the Bengals have seen EVERY YEAR stifle their front four.  Granted, that front four has either been diminished by injury, or worn down by the lack of depth/rotation.  I just want to see a few more packages where someone like Carter is lined up as a fifth pass rusher, or the double A-gap blitz, or a safety/corner blitz (I think Shaw could cut his teeth here).

The combination of a great secondary and a really solid front four rotation is already paying dividends.  My only question is LB.  I still think a team like New England with their small, speedy targets would dink and dunk the Bengals to death.  The return of Burfict would go a long way to help cover that, but I would also like to see PJ Dawson get some playing time and perhaps be starting by the end of the season.  I am more than a little surprised to see Vinny Rey play so many snaps over Hawk, and he missed several key tackles in the run game early.  I love the guy's effort and how he made the team from the practice squad, but I think the best in the NFL will be too much for him.  Maualuga has played very well in the early season, and perhaps the starting nickel LBs will be he and Burfict  by the season's end.  I would just like to see Dawson get some game experience so if an injury happens late in the season, he isn't cutting his teeth at such a critical time. 

One last praise for DC Paulie G:  his use of Hall.  I was pretty hard on Leon coming in to the season.  I viewed his contract (as well as Peko's) as money that could be spent on Suh to pair next to Geno, but Leon has played extremely well in his role and I am glad he is out there with his experience. 

Agree....with all that is said here....I thought Suh would be money better spent too.  So far, initial reports out of South Florida say the Suh era has been a dumpster fire with the Dolphins.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agree....with all that is said here....I thought Suh would be money better spent too.  So far, initial reports out of South Florida say the Suh era has been a dumpster fire with the Dolphins.

I have heard this too.  Amazing considering the rest of the talent on that line.  I thought their offensive line would be their downfall, but the defense has seemingly not gelled at this point.  I still salivate at the thought of Geno next to Suh.
Reply/Quote
I say props on finding all of the guys that can be weapons on Sunday and using them. We are very unpredictable on offense thanks to that. I give them props for finding guys like Hewitt who do so much for this team. He is a great FB. Finding ways to get Burkhead on the field. Using Fisher in that trick play, and I'm sure some Sanu trickery as well too. They are doing a good job of taking a lot of the burden off of Green.

Defense has looked good, but still needs some work. Considering SD has a high powered offense, we looked good last week. Geno makes so much of a difference, it's scary.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you 100%.  Having sat through the predictable Brat and the 3rd and 1 passing Gruden (although he was a huge improvement), I really have come to appreciate the "cover ever inch of the field" attacking offense of Hue.  I love to hear that he has empowered Dalton that this is HIS offense.  If there is a play he doesn't like, come to my office and we will bury it.  Dalton looks very comfortable in this offense now, and although that sounds like the kind of thing every OC would say to a QB it doesn't happen in reality.  Often egos get in the way and the "my way or the highway" attitude is present.  Hue has helped create a real chemistry with this group and let's not forget, he has brought a running game to town.  That balance is what will help this team so much come the postseason if they are fortunate enough to stay healthy and make it again (I believe wholeheartedly they will).

One last praise for DC Paulie G:  his use of Hall.  I was pretty hard on Leon coming in to the season.  I viewed his contract (as well as Peko's) as money that could be spent on Suh to pair next to Geno, but Leon has played extremely well in his role and I am glad he is out there with his experience

Really good points on Hue attacking every inch of the field.  I felt last year DB's were sitting all over our routes, they seem to be having a much tougher time doing the same this year.  Eifert is a huge part of us being able to attack the whole field.  

Also good points on DC Paulie G.  He is using his personal wisely but i too would like to see some rush packages with Carter.  But when Geno and Carlos are bringing the pain it's hard not to play extra DB and let them go get em.  I think when we play the division games you'll see some Carter packages because I think our division opponents know us and our normal rush 4 strategies.  
Reply/Quote
Typically, 1st year DC/OC's struggle and then if they are good, start shining in their 2nd years.
I think Hue will be back in the HC hunt after this season and Paulie might need another year before he's targeted as HC material.

EDIT: and last year, both sides were missing pieces that contributed to a so-so year.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 06:24 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Really good points on Hue attacking every inch of the field.  I felt last year DB's were sitting all over our routes, they seem to be having a much tougher time doing the same this year.  Eifert is a huge part of us being able to attack the whole field.  

Also good points on DC Paulie G.  He is using his personal wisely but i too would like to see some rush packages with Carter.  But when Geno and Carlos are bringing the pain it's hard not to play extra DB and let them go get em.  I think when we play the division games you'll see some Carter packages because I think our division opponents know us and our normal rush 4 strategies.  

Good point about Carter....we might know more Sunday.

I agree that the offense, right now, looks like it could hang a 24 on just about anyone.  Can the defense hold a team like the Patriots to 20?  The steelers?  It will definitely take their best effort and better linebacker play. 

People need to relax on the steelers offense, though...they got New England week 1 when teams are still figuring out what they are and then they got SF to travel cross country on a short week.  They will likely have a tougher time against Baltimore and the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
"My main man DC Paulie G(I coined this nickname but I don't think it's catching on)"

Don't lose to much sleep over it. I'll pay for billboards nationwide to promote it soon as I hit the lottery soon as I start buying tickets soon as I can afford them.

Other than that I think you're pretty much right about most of it.

I didn't over do the 'soon as' thing did I?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Geno could make any coordinator look a lot better. Paulie will be a genius when VB returns.
Reply/Quote
Will eat my crow on Hue.

Was critical of his play calling with those gimmick plays putting QB at risk early on last year,

and of this years draft. Did not see the need to draft the early O-linemen when the O-line was the strongest returning already since 2005 imo.

Thought is would be a throw away pick for a year and defense could use a pass rusher.

Anyway, have seen the error of my judgement so far and am loving the play calling and O-lines usage.

Easy to say when things are going well. But really like the use of all the different unique players abilities we have in creative ways keeping defenses off guard.

Of course with Eiffert, AJ, O-line and the best RB tandem in NFL, it becomes a little easier to call.

Heres to hoping the Bengals can finally stay healthy one year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:45 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Will eat my crow on Hue.

Was critical of his play calling with those gimmick plays putting QB at risk early on last year,

and of this years draft. Did not see the need to draft the early O-linemen when the O-line was the strongest returning already since 2005 imo.

Thought is would be a throw away pick for a year and defense could use a pass rusher.

Anyway, have seen the error of my judgement so far and am loving the play calling and O-lines usage.

Easy to say when things are going well. But really like the use of all the different unique players abilities we have in creative ways keeping defenses off guard.

Of course with Eiffert, AJ, O-line and the best RB tandem in NFL, it becomes a little easier to call.

Heres to hoping the Bengals can finally stay healthy one year.

Yo Go Cards where you been man?  I didn't know if you made the migration.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:20 AM)Utts Wrote: Geno could make any coordinator look a lot better. Paulie will be a genius when VB returns.

Yep most great defenses have great players... Not too many legendary defenses out there that lined bums up
Reply/Quote
Consequently, I am rooting against Jay Gruden tonight. Why? Because IMO he ruined our 2013 season playoff game by auditioning for a HC job. The run was working fine, then {poof!} Gone.

Fifty-one pass attempts, and Cincy was leading at the half. Does that somehow compute without the "Gruden's Virtual Resume" factor?

Yeah, sorry loyalists. That dude deserves D.C. and the headaches that have come with it. I expect him to be an AFCSouth OC by next season.

Zimmer, on the other hand....
Reply/Quote