Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nice WIN over Falcons
This is why Woody Hayes formations all game long do not win in the NFL. Falcons often go with all these people in the backfield and few receivers and the quarterback does the wishbone or Woody Hayes run option play a lot. The problem always was if Woody fell behind to a team like USC or UCLA or Stanford or Alabama. Once behind, Woody was in big trouble because he didn't have much of a passing game to switch to, and the running formations eat to much clock to get back in the game. If you are way behind, the other team would love for you to go Woody 3 Yards And A Cloud Of Dust.

Once Joe Burrow and Bengals jumped out to a big lead, The Falcons were in trouble. The Bengals came out in the 2nd half and did not take their foot off the gas peddle. So starting the 4th Quarter the Bengals had a 35 to 17 lead, and The Falcons still went Woody Hayes run all 4th quarter, which is great for Bengals out in front. Go ahead and let the Falcons Eat Clock.

Now Paul Brown had a good running game, but his teams also had an NFL Passing Game. You can not go Woody Hayes in the NFL and expect to win. I'm glad Falcons Coach uses all those loaded backfield and few receiver formations, because they were doomed once Bengals jumped out to a good lead. The Falcons had two choices, stay in the run, or try to do what they are not use to and pass, and neither would have worked just like when Woody fell way behind against some tough NFL type teams.

Once Bengals Fired out to a Lead, they blew the doors off Falcons old school college playbook and game plan.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Falcons coach is just working with what he has. Which is a bust QB who can run the ball really well. For what I expected out of them they have been much better. Or maybe everyone’s just worse idk it’s a weird season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Arthur Smith in his second year has made a huge leap but he’s gonna need Desmond Ritter to become an all around QB. In this league or in college so goes the QB so goes the team. We know all about that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 04:25 AM)kevin Wrote: This is why Woody Hayes formations all game long do not win in the NFL.   Falcons often go with all these people in the backfield and few receivers and the quarterback does the wishbone or Woody Hayes run option play a lot.  The problem always was if Woody fell behind to a team like USC or UCLA or Stanford or Alabama.  Once behind, Woody was in big trouble because he didn't have much of a passing game to switch to, and the running formations eat to much clock to get back in the game.  If you are way behind, the other team would love for you to go Woody 3 Yards And A Cloud Of Dust.  

Once Joe Burrow and Bengals jumped out to a big lead, The Falcons were in trouble.  The Bengals came out in the 2nd half and did not take their foot off the gas peddle.  So starting the 4th Quarter the Bengals had a 35 to 17 lead, and The Falcons still went Woody Hayes run all 4th quarter, which is great for Bengals out in front.  Go ahead and let the Falcons Eat Clock.

Now Paul Brown had a good running game, but his teams also had an NFL Passing Game.  You can not go Woody Hayes in the NFL and expect to win.  I'm glad Falcons Coach uses all those loaded backfield and few receiver formations, because they were doomed once Bengals jumped out to a good lead. The Falcons had two choices, stay in the run, or try to do what they are not use to and pass, and  neither would have worked just like when Woody fell way behind against some tough NFL type teams.

Once Bengals Fired out to a Lead, they blew the doors off Falcons old school college playbook and game plan.  

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger

Soft of like how the Ravens always struggle in the playoffs...
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 07:54 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wonder if the Falcons coach is just working with what he has. Which is a bust QB who can run the ball really well. For what I expected out of them they have been much better. Or maybe everyone’s just worse idk it’s a weird season.

Absolutely.

And let's face it. If we did one of our patented slow starts...this game would have been close going into the 4th quarter. Maybe we win. Maybe we lose.

The NFL is weird. The defenses seem to be catching up to offenses somewhat. And some power running seems to work again.
Reply/Quote
Totally opposite of Glanville's Chuck & Duck formation and philosophy.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 09:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Absolutely.

And let's face it. If we did one of our patented slow starts...this game would have been close going into the 4th quarter. Maybe we win. Maybe we lose.

The NFL is weird. The defenses seem to be catching up to offenses somewhat. And some power running seems to work again.

Yep this was the key to taking Atlanta out their game and the Bengals took care of business early. 

Twas a pleasant change of pace that I hope becomes a regularity going forward. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 09:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Soft of like how the Ravens always struggle in the playoffs...

The Ravens have an NFL Passing Game.  Just because their QB can run, does not mean they are doing the college wishbone like formations Falcons run this year or Washington tried to run when they drafted RG3.   The Ravens actually can throw the ball, and so can the Browns and Steelers.  It's just that you need a running game to play in the AFC North of all open air stadiums in Winter   The AFC North teams are not as one dimension as Falcons were yesterday. 

Yes, it was as good thing Bengals did not start slow. Jumping out to a lead blew the old Woody Hayes playbook out of the water, leaving Falcons no way to make a comeback in 4th quarter as any normal NFL team is able to do.   We can also thank Falcons having a ton of injuries at DB, which Burrow exploited as any good NFL QB will do in attacking the weakness. 

Up next is the Browns who are not The Falcons. The Browns can Run, but the Browns have an NFL Passing Game. They make comeback after comeback and can go to the air and run 2 minute drills, unlike Falcons. Bissett is not bad while they wait for Watson, and they are more Paul Brown than Woody Hayes.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 02:13 PM)kevin Wrote: The Ravens have an NFL Passing Game.  Just because their QB can run, does not mean they are doing the college wishbone like formations Falcons run this year or Washington tried to run when they drafted RG3.   The Ravens actually can throw the ball, and so can the Browns and Steelers.  It's just that you need a running game to play in the AFC North of all open air stadiums in Winter   The AFC North teams are not as one dimension as Falcons were yesterday. 

Yes, it was as good thing Bengals did not start slow. Jumping out to a lead blew the old Woody Hayes playbook out of the water, leaving Falcons no way to make a comeback in 4th quarter as any normal NFL team is able to do.   We can also thank Falcons having a ton of injuries at DB, which Burrow exploited as any good NFL QB will do in attacking the weakness. 

Up next is the Browns who are not The Falcons.  The Browns can Run, but the Browns have an NFL Passing Game.  They make comeback after comeback and can go to the air and run 2 minute drills, unlike Falcons.  Bissett is not bad while they wait for Watson, and they are more Paul Brown than Woody Hayes.

They "can" throw the ball is a pretty general statement.  Can they do it well?  Right now, Lamar has 1397 yards passing in 7 games, good for 20th in the league.  I don't blame him entirely as he has one good WR and one really good TE.  They are built to be a run-first team.  Lamar can burn you so much with his feet that if they send vertical routes and he sees a DBs back, he can just take off for a 15 yard run.  

The Browns also "can" throw the ball, maybe slightly better than the Falcons, but not very well.  Brissett has one more TD pass than INTs and he's completing 62% of his passes...most are not deep down the field, either.  He's not very mobile and is the king of the check-down.  I think this game is all stuffing their run early and giving them 3rd and longs that force them to throw.  I don't think they will be successful against the Bengals if that is the case.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They "can" throw the ball is a pretty general statement.  Can they do it well?  Right now, Lamar has 1397 yards passing in 7 games, good for 20th in the league.  I don't blame him entirely as he has one good WR and one really good TE.  They are built to be a run-first team.  Lamar can burn you so much with his feet that if they send vertical routes and he sees a DBs back, he can just take off for a 15 yard run.  

The Browns also "can" throw the ball, maybe slightly better than the Falcons, but not very well.  Brissett has one more TD pass than INTs and he's completing 62% of his passes...most are not deep down the field, either.  He's not very mobile and is the king of the check-down.  I think this game is all stuffing their run early and giving them 3rd and longs that force them to throw.  I don't think they will be successful against the Bengals if that is the case.  

Yep

The quicker we can get them out of their comfort zone the better it will be. We need to put them in a hole early and keep them there.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

The quicker we can get them out of their comfort zone the better it will be. We need to put them in a hole early and keep them there.

The one thing that seemed to kill the Bengals last year against the Browns were QB bootlegs and waggles.  Baker thrives in those.  That isn't really Brissett's game.  But I am sure the Browns know that from last year's tape.  Probably see lots of RPOs off play action to Chubb.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The one thing that seemed to kill the Bengals last year against the Browns were QB bootlegs and waggles.  Baker thrives in those.  That isn't really Brissett's game.  But I am sure the Browns know that from last year's tape.  Probably see lots of RPOs off play action to Chubb.  

Yep

Brissett has a passer rating of 82.3% 6 TD's 5 int's. You get them in a position where he's chucking it a lot he'll put up some jump balls pressing. We need to bring a couple of em down ourselves.
Reply/Quote