Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Eason-hired DL Coach
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/26/bengals-hiring-nick-eason-as-defensive-line-coach/

Bengals hiring Nick Eason as defensive line coach
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 26, 2019, 1:23 PM EST

The Bengals are still working on filling rookie coach Zac Taylor’s staff, and have another position coach now.

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, they’re hiring Nick Eason as their defensive line coach.

The 38-year-old Eason played 128 games over 10 seasons with the Broncos, Browns, Steelers, and Cardinals.

He got into coaching in 2013 with the Browns, and after a four-year stint with the Titans, has also coached at Austin Peay and Vanderbilt.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/04/22/nick-eason-clemson-is-home-for-me/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-f9k7pFIhA

Reply/Quote
Lots of experience, worked with some good coaches and played the game for a long time. Seems like a nice grab.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I do not know much about him. The DL is probably our most talented group so he should hit the ground running.
Reply/Quote
I had to scan the internet a bit to figure out Eason's full history. Here's what I wrote up for the coaching tracker:

Nick Eason (DL) - 4th round pick of the Browns in 2003. Had a 10 year playing career where he also spent time with the Cardinals and Steelers (where he won a SB in 2008). As a coach, he started off as an assistant d-line coach with the Browns in 2013. He then spent 4 seasons as the Titans d-line coach (2014-17). He spent 2018 as a defensive assistant working with LB's at Austin Peay, and was just hired as d-line coach with Vanderbilt on February 13th. He backed out of that commitment to join Taylor's staff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Austin Peay is know for it's LB's.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Austin Peay is know for it's LB's.

I know you're being sarcastic, but Eason was hired to coach the d-line and has 5 years of NFL experience doing that. 

I don't think it was a bad hire. That said, what I don't get is that Eason has worked exclusively with 3-4 defenses his entire career...both as a player and a coach.

So are we running a 3-4 or what? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 05:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know you're being sarcastic, but Eason was hired to coach the d-line and has 5 years of NFL experience doing that. 

I don't think it was a bad hire. That said, what I don't get is that Eason has worked exclusively with 3-4 defenses his entire career...both as a player and a coach.

So are we running a 3-4 or what? 

It’s looking like we are. Pretty sure that’s what the Giants were running last season and that’s where our DC came from.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 05:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It’s looking like we are. Pretty sure that’s what the Giants were running last season and that’s where our DC came from.

I know Zac said we were going to be a 4-3 base, but Sweet Lou said it will be "multiple." Lou has experience with both and having assistants that are well versed in different defenses can be a plus when they're setting up their brand new defense this year.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:32 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I know Zac said we were going to be a 4-3 base, but Sweet Lou said it will be "multiple." Lou has experience with both and having assistants that are well versed in different defenses can be a plus when they're setting up their brand new defense this year.

where did Zac say they were running 4-3 base?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 05:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It’s looking like we are. Pretty sure that’s what the Giants were running last season and that’s where our DC came from.

He also coached in Miami were they ran 4-3 the whole time he coached there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: where did Zac say they were running 4-3 base?

I'm not sure if he said it but Lou said it the first day he was hired.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 06:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: where did Zac say they were running 4-3 base?

I can't find it right now, but I believe it was in one of Zac's interviews. When I find it I will post it.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
Browns and Steelers? Ew

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 07:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Browns and Steelers? Ew

it at least means he knows the AFCN

Reply/Quote
Welcome aboard, Coach Eason! Hope you're happy with the material that the team has provided for you to work with on the DL. Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Carl Lawson, Sam Hubbard, Andrew Billings, just to name a few. If you can't work with that group, I don't know what to tell you.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I’ve read it somewhere and remember being disappointed. Actually, I’ve read it more than once. I think it was articles shortly after the Granthem decline. But I’m glad, hope for 3-4 is back on the table.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Welcome aboard, Coach Eason!  Hope you're happy with the material that the team has provided for you to work with on the DL.  Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Carl Lawson, Sam Hubbard, Andrew Billings, just to name a few.  If you can't work with that group, I don't know what to tell you.

For a DLine coach, I wouldn't think 4-3 or 3-4 would matter all that much.  Seems like the techniques wouldn't be all that different.  Would it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

That’s what Lou Anarumo said: 4-3 base, 5-2 on specialty plays, and 3-4 only when necessary.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 08:09 PM)pally Wrote: it at least means he knows the AFCN

So did Marvin...

Reply/Quote