Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nick Vigil great pass defense in 2019
Here is a list of league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9
Reply/Quote
wait that doesn't fit the general narrative around here... Eye doctors gonna be busy this summer lol
Reply/Quote
Stop the needs for lb! Sign this man long term top 5 in the league!

Kidding! I thought he played pretty ok and was a good player when he was playing. We should resign him but still need to add more talent. But that Corp. Is about to change
Reply/Quote
He wasn't horrible overall but I think he could improve in the missed tackle category.  I think that has been a significant criticism of him.  From Pro Football Reference 2019 stats on missed tackles compared to those listed above.

Leonard (IND)….. 5 (4.0%)*
Gerry (PHI)………. 14 (15.2%)
Vigil (CIN)………... 21 (15.9%)
David (TAM)……... 10 (7.5%)
Schobert (CLE)….  16 (10.7%)
Kuechly (CAR)...      10 (6.5%)
Davis (NO)………..  5 (4.3%)
Smith (CHI)……...  4 (3.8%)*

*played less than 16 games in 2019: Leonard played 13 games, Smith played 12.

Vigil lead the league in missed tackles according to Pro Football Reference and for a LB I think that is a fairly important stat. He was also followed by the Bengal's Shawn Williams with 20 (14.9%), and Jesse Bates also made the top 10 with 17 (14.5%).  It seems some of the Bengals defense has a bit of a tackling problem.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a list of league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

This is going to get good around here....  Popcorn
Reply/Quote
Go Nicholas Vigil, go! Now, where does G. Atkins rate in his category?
Reply/Quote
Apparently to Fred everyone was great last year nevermind our 2 win season.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a list of league leaders in passer rating allowed among LBs with at least 40 targets.

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

Are you really a Bengal fan? Or do you just like to argue for the sake of arguing? Or do you want the team to just remain bad? The Bengals defense has been historically bad and the worse part of it?? Yup LineBackers... These numbers are skewed from how long the defense was on the field... Vigil is the best out of a horrible group. Congratulations on figuring that out... I see your game. You take a crap player and find the one part of his game that is average and try to tell everyone they are wrong about said player... Everyone can see what this guy is doing here.. Right?
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:48 PM)Tony Wrote: Are you really a Bengal fan? Or do you just like to argue for the sake of arguing? Or do you want the team to just remain bad? The Bengals defense has been historically bad and the worse part of it?? Yup LineBackers... These numbers are skewed from how long the defense was on the field... Vigil is the best out of a horrible group. Congratulations on figuring that out... I see your game. You take a crap player and find the one part of his game that is average and try to tell everyone they are wrong about said player... Everyone can see what this guy is doing here.. Right?

Popcorn
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with them signing Vigil to a team friendly shirt term deal. He shouldn't be counted on, but this is a team that has trotted Hardy Nickerson Jr out there for multiple years. It could be worse.
Reply/Quote

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

Not tryna play devils advocate but these stats have no context. How do I know Keuchley and the others arent told to do a different job than Vigil?

So your telling me you want Vigil in pass coverage on your team? Seriously? People gotta chill with these stats
Reply/Quote

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

Imagine if he played with the Pratt we got by year's end all season.  Another reason it is sometimes important to go with a rookie and let him learn early.  Look at Phillips?  I think he thoroughly outplayed Dre and he has been getting little to no opportunities despite Dre's struggles.  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:48 PM)Tony Wrote: Are you really a Bengal fan? Or do you just like to argue for the sake of arguing? Or do you want the team to just remain bad? The Bengals defense has been historically bad and the worse part of it?? Yup LineBackers... These numbers are skewed from how long the defense was on the field... Vigil is the best out of a horrible group. Congratulations on figuring that out... I see your game. You take a crap player and find the one part of his game that is average and try to tell everyone they are wrong about said player... Everyone can see what this guy is doing here.. Right?

Two players who were average at best and they make the All Fred team. If you disagree you are a Bengals hater.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 07:41 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: He wasn't horrible overall but I think he could improve in the missed tackle category.  I think that has been a significant criticism of him.  From Pro Football Reference 2019 stats on missed tackles compared to those listed above.

Leonard (IND)….. 5 (4.0%)*
Gerry (PHI)………. 14 (15.2%)
Vigil (CIN)………... 21 (15.9%)
David (TAM)……... 10 (7.5%)
Schobert (CLE)….  16 (10.7%)
Kuechly (CAR)...      10 (6.5%)
Davis (NO)………..  5 (4.3%)
Smith (CHI)……...  4 (3.8%)*

*played less than 16 games in 2019: Leonard played 13 games, Smith played 12.

Vigil lead the league in missed tackles according to Pro Football Reference and for a LB I think that is a fairly important stat. He was also followed by the Bengal's Shawn Williams with 20 (14.9%), and Jesse Bates also made the top 10 with 17 (14.5%).  It seems some of the Bengals defense has a bit of a tackling problem.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

DingDing

Coverage and closing speed aren't Vigil's problem.  It's poor angles in tackling.  Hell, even his tackling is not a problem from a form perspective.  It's the bad angles that enable the ball carrier to elude and/or break free from his grasp.  When his angle is good he is actually a solid tackler.
Reply/Quote

Leonard (IND)…..62.8
Gerry (PHI)……….70.2
Vigil (CIN)………...72.9
David (TAM)……...73.0
Schobert (CLE)….74.6
Keuchley (CAR)...75.3
Davis (NO)………..75.8
Smith (CHI)……...75.9

It appears Vigil is better than a lot of people' expert eye test.

More important, if I am reading correctly the best LB gave up a 62.8% completion rate. If so, I think a lot our eye tests need to factor this in as we evaluate LB's in coverage.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would only resign Vigil for cheap as a 3rd LB. We need an impact player at LB Vigil is just a role player. In today’s game you mostly play 2 linebacker sets I think we can find a significant upgrade for Vigil in free agency or the draft to play along side Pratt. Plus the biggest issue with this defense is they can’t stop the run and have ranked bottom in the league the last few seasons. Vigil misses to many tackles If you can’t stop the run your in trouble.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 01:09 AM)Brimey Wrote: I'm fine with them signing Vigil to a team friendly shirt term deal. He shouldn't be counted on, but this is a team that has trotted Hardy Nickerson Jr out there for multiple years. It could be worse.

I've always wanted a shirt term deal, especially when it's cold outside. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Hall of fame Vigil. Stats don’t lie.
Reply/Quote

Facts. So far nick vigil and Bobby hart had great season last year hahahahaha this guy needs to share what he’s smoking. Actuallly nvm I want nothing from him
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 05:25 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Facts.  So far nick vigil and Bobby hart had great season last year hahahahaha this guy needs to share what he’s smoking.  Actuallly nvm I want nothing from him
I've been lurking on the boards since Jungle Noise was on the main site sand they didn't even have sub forums, you just left quotes. I always wanted to ask Fred if he is really a Bengals fan...
Reply/Quote