Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fox's Greg Gutfeld #1 Show beating all of the late night comedians
(07-25-2023, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:
No, I can call out herd behavior regardless of its origin. 
It doesn't have to be confined to what news channel you watch. 

And apparently regardless of evidence/analysis/explanation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know Gutfelds resume.  Seems odd comparing him to people who have done actual comedy for decades, political or otherwise. 

Colbert has mostly had a political bend, though I recall old SNL stuff where he was just a fake straight man type, I think.

Colbert has a very impressive resume.  He's been a writer and a performer on numerous shows.  He was on the writing team for the criminally underrated Dana Carvey Show.  Look up that writing team and be shocked at the huge names you'll find. 

Quote:Gutfelds imdb page doesn't look like one of a working comedic actor, so he's a funny political commentator not a comedian who got a late night show in the era where political sides are ever present. 

Pretty much.

Quote:My viewpoint is that my wife doesn't care about national politics in the 24/7 way I do. She can recognize Colbert and Fallon and Kimmel for various things from the Barry Gibb talk show to Karl Malone on aliens, but I doubt she knows who Gutfeld is. 

I doubt many people who don't follow Fox would recognize him.

(07-25-2023, 12:56 PM)Dill Wrote: I've watched a deal of Gutfeld and I agree he is lively and witty; the show often sparkles.

They have a pretty good formula going, with regulars like Kat Timpf and Tyrus. Their writers are not union, so unaffected by the strike.

Disagree with Nati, though. Hate, fear, and division are not "hidden" in their comedy. 

No empathy whatsoever for migrants. Scorn for "the elite" and sleepy Joe reinforced every night; no unfavorable Trump jokes.

You're giving it much more praise than I would, but you've clearly seen more of it than I have.  I think the panel style definitely helps overcome Gutfeld's lack of comedy credentials, I doubt he could hold attention on his own.  As for scorn heaped on Dems, is that really any different than Colbert or Kimmel?  When was the last time either of them said anything bad about a Dem?  Colbert hangs out with Chuck Schumer.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:04 PM)Dill Wrote: And apparently regardless of evidence/analysis/explanation.

Literally three of the first four people who commented had some Fox cult angle in their post.  About a comedy show.  Do I really have to hold your hand or are you capable of normal observation?
Reply/Quote
Colbert made a lot of jokes about Biden's age and approval ratings and I think he played that biden falling off the bike clip a good bit.  But Biden doesn't provide the good or bad entertainment that Trump does.

Biden is similar to W Bush where it's more about gaffes and stupid quotes than the love it or hate it constant shock someone like Trump provides.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Literally three of the first four people who commented had some Fox cult angle in their post.  About a comedy show.  Do I really have to hold your hand or are you capable of normal observation?

maybe because a known Fox cult member posted to brag aboutt the ratings vs so-called liberal late-night guys,  Seriously, who really cares who is winning the late-night wars let alone feels the need to crow about who is winning it

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Literally three of the first four people who commented had some Fox cult angle in their post.  About a comedy show.  Do I really have to hold your hand or are you capable of normal observation?

I "observed" someone say it's a comedy, not about politics. 

When observation shows Gutfeld is MAGA politics based comedy. Really nothing else.

I don't dispute that three people commented from "some Fox cult angle."

Just wondering why that is not an appropriate observation for a comedy show
that buttressed Trump's Big Lie for months, and now supports Trump's
"weaponization" charge with comedy material about one standard for
Hunter Biden and another for the guy who attempted a coup. 

So someone saying "Fox sheeple" isn't doing more "projecting" than "observing" because "it's a comedy show." 
And it is not "normal observation" which sees only "insane mirroring" in such statements.

PS here is a link to Gutfeld's site. No need to watch any of the videos. Just look at their titles:
"Biden has declared war on other Americans," "The Media's strategy to Demonize," Trump Praises Gutfeld," 
"We're Facing a Culture War," "Democrats Are Arresting a Political Rival," etc. 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=you+tube+greg+gutfeld&type=E211US1494G0#id=4&vid=d7ee8fcd84c09738c8da39c096e72559&action=click
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Colbert made a lot of jokes about Biden's age and approval ratings and I think he played that biden falling off the bike clip a good bit.  But Biden doesn't provide the good or bad entertainment that Trump does.

Biden is similar to W Bush where it's more about gaffes and stupid quotes than the love it or hate it constant shock someone like Trump provides.

Like when DJT whined about SNL making fun of him.  They have made fun of EVERY POTUS since they've been on the air.

Some just provide more comedy fodder.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're giving it much more praise than I would, but you've clearly seen more of it than I have.  I think the panel style definitely helps overcome Gutfeld's lack of comedy credentials, I doubt he could hold attention on his own.  As for scorn heaped on Dems, is that really any different than Colbert or Kimmel?  When was the last time either of them said anything bad about a Dem?  Colbert hangs out with Chuck Schumer.

Once you start down the "projection" and "insane mirroring" road, 
then the issue is not whether there are Dem comedy shows which foreground politics. 

No one is complaining about "heaping scorn" or assuming only one side does it. 

The "projection" question has to do with whether the comedy is uncritically buttressing 
propaganda, and dangerous propaganda at that, for an audience chronically susceptible to
and acting on lies--fraudulent election, witch hunts, Dem weaponization--which are largely
disseminated and maintained via media like Fox. 

Pally has correctly noted that Luvnit did not start this thread because he just likes apolitical comedy
and thought we could all use a laugh. The show's popularity confirms for him its messaging 
about fraudulent election, witch hunts, and Dem weaponization. 

The show is part of what called social "backing" on another thread, which strengthens a group's
perception of "validity." 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:26 PM)pally Wrote: maybe because a known Fox cult member posted to brag aboutt the ratings vs so-called liberal late-night guys,  Seriously, who really cares who is winning the late-night wars let alone feels the need to crow about who is winning it

Luvnit is certainly towards the extreme end of the political spectrum, but no more than several of our far left leaning posters.  Also, I don't think you can label the other late night hosts as "so called liberals".  They are demonstrably liberal, with Fallon likely being the least extreme.  Your failure to acknowledge this displays the same fervor for your side of the aisle that Luvnit does towards his.  You accuse him of failing to acknowledge the extremity of his chosen source of news and entertainment, but you then display similar qualities yourself.

As for who cares, well Luvnit certainly does.  You cared enough to feel the need to come into his thread and castigate him as a sheep.  Of course, commenting is the point of this sub-forum, is it not?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:34 PM)Dill Wrote: I "observed" someone say it's a comedy, not about politics.

It's clearly both.  Maybe to more of an extent compared to Fallon, but probably not much more than Colbert or Kimmel.  But late night comedy and politics have become inextricably linked since the end of Carson and Letterman.  Maybe Conan could be thrown into the mix as well, as I don't recall him ever being very political.

Quote:When observation shows Gutfeld is MAGA politics based comedy. Really nothing else.

Careful, if you use the term MAGA a few more times they're going to offer you the White House press secretary position.

Quote:I don't dispute that three people commented from "some Fox cult angle."

I should hope not.

Quote:Just wondering why that is not an appropriate observation for a comedy show
that buttressed Trump's Big Lie for months, and now supports Trump's
"weaponization" charge with comedy material about one standard for
Hunter Biden and another for the guy who attempted a coup. 

Maybe because within Fox viewers there are still differing opinions?

Quote:So someone saying "Fox sheeple" isn't doing more "projecting" than "observing" because "it's a comedy show." 
And it is not "normal observation" which sees only "insane mirroring" in such statements.

And pointing out that several posters here are religiously adherent to the Dem script in much the same fashion is an equally valid observation.  I know you'll say it isn't because Dill said so, but it is.  One of your buddies is so indoctrinated he couldn't even take a female athlete at her word when she said she'd get destroyed playing against men.  To him she had to be lying to play along because to not think that way would damage his position.  I've pointed this out numerous times, you are very quick to point out flaws in others, and often times you are correct.  But you are wholly blind to the same types of flaws in people you agree with.  I know you don't see it, and you'll dismiss this statement out of hand, but it's blindingly obvious. 

Also, before you ask, no, I am not going to dig through your posts to find examples because I simply don't care enough to spend the time.  And yes, I know you'll take this as proof that no such examples exist.  

Quote:PS here is a link to Gutfeld's site. No need to watch any of the videos. Just look at their titles:
"Biden has declared war on other Americans," "The Media's strategy to Demonize," Trump Praises Gutfeld," 
"We're Facing a Culture War," "Democrats Are Arresting a Political Rival," etc. 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=you+tube+greg+gutfeld&type=E211US1494G0#id=4&vid=d7ee8fcd84c09738c8da39c096e72559&action=click

Yes, he is very much right leaning.  You're not exactly revealing some unknown truth.

(07-25-2023, 01:56 PM)Dill Wrote: Once you start down the "projection" and "insane mirroring" road, 
then the issue is not whether there are Dem comedy shows which foreground politics. 

No one is complaining about "heaping scorn" or assuming only one side does it. 

The "projection" question has to do with whether the comedy is uncritically buttressing 
propaganda, and dangerous propaganda at that, for an audience chronically susceptible to
and acting on lies--fraudulent election, witch hunts, Dem weaponization--which are largely
disseminated and maintained via media like Fox.

Are you claiming that no other late night show has pushed the Dem party agenda? 

Quote:Pally has correctly noted that Luvnit did not start this thread because he just likes apolitical comedy
and thought we could all use a laugh. The show's popularity confirms for him its messaging 
about fraudulent election, witch hunts, and Dem weaponization. 

Well, he's also tossing a baited hook into the water that several people rushed to swallow.  Also, you're not exactly breaking news about people being inclined to surround themselves with people who feel the same way in order to reinforce their perceptions.  This sub-forum provides numerous examples, and Luvnit is far from alone in this regard.

Quote:The show is part of what called social "backing" on another thread, which strengthens a group's
perception of "validity." 

Indeed.  It's kind of like when someone dismisses a extremely learned scholar like Christopher Hitchens because they don't approve of his position.  Ascribing any expertise to those who think differently than us can certainly challenge one's perspective, hence some must avoid it at all cost.
Reply/Quote
At least we've gotten over the debate that fox news is fair and balanced. A frustrated version of me from 2008 would be relieved at that progress.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know Gutfelds resume.  Seems odd comparing him to people who have done actual comedy for decades, political or otherwise. 

Colbert has mostly had a political bend, though I recall old SNL stuff where he was just a fake straight man type, I think.  

Gutfelds imdb page doesn't look like one of a working comedic actor, so he's a funny political commentator not a comedian who got a late night show in the era where political sides are ever present. 

My viewpoint is that my wife doesn't care about national politics in the 24/7 way I do. She can recognize Colbert and Fallon and Kimmel for various things from the Barry Gibb talk show to Karl Malone on aliens, but I doubt she knows who Gutfeld is. 

Red Eye, also known as Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld from 2007 to 2015

[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 02:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:So someone saying "Fox sheeple" isn't doing more "projecting" than "observing" because "it's a comedy show." 

And pointing out that several posters here are religiously adherent to the Dem script in much the same fashion is an equally valid observation.
  I know you'll say it isn't because Dill said so, but it is.  One of your buddies is so indoctrinated he couldn't even take a female athlete at her word when she said she'd get destroyed playing against men.  To him she had to be lying to play along because to not think that way would damage his position.  I've pointed this out numerous times, you are very quick to point out flaws in others, and often times you are correct.  But you are wholly blind to the same types of flaws in people you agree with.  I know you don't see it, and you'll dismiss this statement out of hand, but it's blindingly obvious. 

Also, before you ask, no, I am not going to dig through your posts to find examples because I simply don't care enough to spend the time.  And yes, I know you'll take this as proof that no such examples exist.  

And I'm saying the bolded is not an "observation." It's an inference that needs to be demonstrated. 

You can't just claim "my buddies" are "as religiously adherent to the Dem script in much the same fashion" as MAGA voters, who by the millions can be manipulated by Trump lies far past their disconfirmation in courts and reports, all on the basis of a simple analogy: my buddies watch comedy and scorn politicians too. You need to show that Colbert et al. are also propagating disconfirmed Biden lies to an audience that will switch channels if the propagation stops.  And that the Biden lies incite people to violence. Until I get a cite for the female athlete incident referred to, so I can see for myself what was or was not said, that's just innuendo, like the Hitchens reference below.

I can't imagine myself taking the trouble to claim you are "wholly blind" regarding something without expecting to demonstrate that.
Lot's of things I "think" about people, but if I can't demonstrate them, I don't announce them and then keep repeating them as an unsubstantiated claim I for which I don't have time to provide examples. I put up or shut up.

Disagreements between us almost always boil down to a difference in standards.  Me arguing for higher, you for lower. This is one such difference.  Another from 2016 discussed below.

(07-25-2023, 02:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:The show is part of what called social "backing" on another thread, which strengthens a group's perception of "validity." 

Indeed.  It's kind of like when someone dismisses a extremely learned scholar like Christopher Hitchens because they don't approve of his position.  Ascribing any expertise to those who think differently than us can certainly challenge one's perspective, hence some must avoid it at all cost.

No it is like when someone is discussing the ME and gives deference to actual Middle East Scholars, and can define what counts as scholarship in such cases. #171 http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-With-Merkel-s-Foes-in-Disarray-Germany-Defies-the-Trump-Trend?page=9&highlight=merkel

Affirming that Hitchens was a great journalist and public intellectual, but not a ME scholar, was not dismissing him. I disagreed with his take on the ME, especially his support for the Bush/Blair Iraq War, which you have characterized as criminal. Do you "approve of his position" on that war now or do you "dismiss" him?

When i asked you for a definition of "scholar," I got Websters dictionary, which expanded the term to cover "pupils" in any classroom.
I would not dispute that Hitchens or even you qualify under that standard. Though it's not clear how one can define a "great scholar" taking that route.

The point of having standards--ME specific ones in the case of ME scholarship/issues--and being able to articulate them is precisely to avoid the kind of cherry picking you continually accuse me of but can't ever prove because you don't care to spend the time. 

Second time you've referenced Hitchens in a week. And it has nothing to do with this thread. Why would you go back to the Merkel thread of epic SSF fails--"copypasta" being my favorite?  Did you ever figure out how I managed an accurate and pertinent synthesis of ancient Mediterranean history to meet your question about why Jews aren't a terror problem today--without LINKING you to the source? You agree now it wasn't plagiarism. A mystery we'll never solve.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 01:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Like when DJT whined about SNL making fun of him.  They have made fun of EVERY POTUS since they've been on the air.

Some just provide more comedy fodder.

Surprisingly, Trump has murdered fewer people than his SNL counterpart.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Where’s that Samantha B lady? Did her show survive the Trump loss? Seems I used to see promos all the time.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Surprisingly, Trump has murdered fewer people than his SNL counterpart.

[Image: chris-pratt-ohh.gif]

(07-26-2023, 09:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Where’s that Samantha B lady?  Did her show survive the Trump loss?  Seems I used to see promos all the time.

That got cancelled.  She was really good on The Daily Show, but without someone moderating her she turned into a nasty far left hack.  The show was rarely amusing, let alone funny.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 10:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: [Image: chris-pratt-ohh.gif]

That got cancelled.  She was really good on The Daily Show, but without someone moderating her she turned into a nasty far left hack.  The show was rarely amusing, let alone funny.

Every promo was 100% Trump. Him losing had to be her worst nightmare.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Where’s that Samantha B lady?  Did her show survive the Trump loss?  Seems I used to see promos all the time.

Oh yeah.  She was on until 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Frontal_with_Samantha_Bee

It got cancelled when the station had a change of "programming strategy".  ie They wanted to save money...lol.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-07-29/late-night-tv-cancellations-full-frontal-desus-mero

So, yeah, she was doing fine post Trump.

I never watched it as I don't watch much television at all.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 10:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Every promo was 100% Trump. Him losing had to be her worst nightmare.

I love South Park and there was no bigger contrast in comedy between that show and when it went to commercial and Trevor Noah did his Daily Show promos…time after time it was the lamest Trump joke imaginable. Say, did you hear he’s orange??? Lmfaooooooo
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 11:04 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I love South Park and there was no bigger contrast in comedy between that show and when it went to commercial and Trevor Noah did his Daily Show promos…time after time it was the lamest Trump joke imaginable. Say, did you hear he’s orange??? Lmfaooooooo

I was a long time Daily Show viewer, way back in the Craig Kilborn days.  I liked John Stweart already from his MTV show, etc. but when he took over it did not go well at first.  Stewart was really uncomfortable and the show was not geling.  But I stuck with it because I knew Stewart was a funny guy and could get his legs under him.  The end result being that Stewart's Daily Show ended up being far superior to Kilborn's, IMO.  I tried to extend the same courtesy to Noah, even though what I'd seen of him to that point was not good.  But man, he was effing awful and I have no idea why they hired him or why they kept him so long.

It chaps my hide that people like Noah could suck for years and stay on air and someone like Norm couldn't get the same treatment.  
Reply/Quote