Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nikki Haley announces her run for President
(03-20-2023, 02:31 PM)Dill Wrote: Yeah, we'll see. Too early to tell. 

No debate would be another of those terrible milestones, like Trump not making his taxes public and his supporters not caring, way more suspicious of "crooked Hillary" and her way-more-transparent finances.

A debate would be in the Dems favor though--a chance to for Americans to compare the differing emphases and party planks, rebuild infrastructure vs trans bathrooms, banking regulations vs "woke" investing,  "weaponizing" the government by arresting presidential felons and scofflaws on the principle that no one is above the law vs actually weaponizing the government to attack enemies and stay in power.

Wow you so greatly summarized why I vote GOP on most issues…trans bathroom agenda!

JFC this forum is ridiculous
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 03:15 PM)basballguy Wrote: Wow you so greatly summarized why I vote GOP on most issues…trans bathroom agenda!

JFC this forum is ridiculous

If you are in a position to know, voting with the GOP on "most issues" as you do, 

why not tell us what THOSE issues are, if they are not the ones your front runners repeatedly reference?

Putting trans-gender bathrooms, weaponized government, and wokeness front and center of GOP

primary campaigns doesn't make GOP candidates "ridiculous"--

but this forum is if posters note that emphasis? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 03:54 PM)Dill Wrote: GOP candidates put trans bathrooms, "weaponized" government, and "wokeness" front and

center of their campaigns,  and THEY are not "ridiculous" for doing that--

No, THIS FORUM is, if a poster references their actual campaign points. 

If you are in a position to know, voting with the GOP on "most issues" as you do, 

why don't you make the forum less "ridiculous" by telling us what the election is REALLY about

if that's not what the front runners in your primary repeatedly say it's about?  

How about you tell me who made trans bathrooms the center of their campaign?  Sure it's a talking point (a very minor one), but who's out there campaigning around trans bathrooms?  Especially for the presidency?  

If you really wanted to talk about states rights, border security, the economy, or small business protection, then you'd probably get something a bit more engaging from me than when you say "derp, they are focused on trans bathrooms and not real issues".  

I do think you are an informed and intelligent person so I'm not trying to personally attack you.  I just do not feel you actually care enough to discuss what the real issues are for someone like me and would just rather throw pot shots all day long.
Reply/Quote
Why don't this woman use her real name ? Is she ashamed of herself ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 05:13 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Why don't this woman use her real name ? Is she ashamed of herself ?

There are millions upon millions of people with foreign heritage that adopt names that seem to be more American versus their foreign heritage (Though i do wonder if this happens in other countries).

If you need political examples, see Beto O'Rourke or Ted Cruz.  

It's not uncommon.  
Reply/Quote
You are american or you are not.

I guess by 'more american' you mean english sounding name ? Tells a lot if you ask me.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 05:44 PM)basballguy Wrote: There are millions upon millions of people with foreign heritage that adopt names that seem to be more American versus their foreign heritage (Though i do wonder if this happens in other countries).

If you need political examples, see Beto O'Rourke or Ted Cruz.  

It's not uncommon.  

Beto O'Rourke's "real" name is Robert his nickname comes from a shortened version of the Hispanic Roberto (a nickname common in his hometown of El Paso)  He received that nickname as an infant to differentiate him from the grandfather he was named for

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 06:34 PM)pally Wrote: Beto O'Rourke's "real" name is Robert his nickname comes from a shortened version of the Hispanic Roberto (a nickname common in his hometown of El Paso)  He received that nickname as an infant to differentiate him from the grandfather he was named for

And Ted Cruz's real first name is Rafael.  

This is a great FYI for those that didn't know but it doesn't prove any points.  People adopt names they weren't born with.  It's common, especially for people with foreign heritage in the US.  It doesn't prove any political agenda one way or the other. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 06:19 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You are american or you are not.

I guess by 'more american' you mean english sounding name ? Tells a lot if you ask me.

Ya, english sounding names.

What does it tell you?  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 06:49 PM)basballguy Wrote: Ya, english sounding names.

What does it tell you?  

That you think real americans have english sounding names ...

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:07 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: That you think real americans have english sounding names ...

What the living **** are you talking about?

I was answering a question and not providing personal thoughts.

Thanks for providing another example as to why this forum is a shit show. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:14 PM)basballguy Wrote: What the living **** are you talking about?

I was answering a question and not providing personal thoughts.

Thanks for providing another example as to why this forum is a shit show. 

Answering a question regarding your standards. 

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:21 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Answering a question regarding your standards. 

You asked a question "why doesn't she use her real name"

I gave you an answer (now I don't personally know why she did it, but i'm providing some anecdotal evidence to help you understand what might've been her motivations)

Maybe you're not from the US or you're just ignorant to immigrant practices in the US, I don't know.

Immigrants adopting "american sounding names" in the US is not uncommon.

There's no personal opinion in that answer.

Again, JFC this forum is a joke.
Reply/Quote
I like the “other” Indian-American candidate better: Vivek Ramaswamy!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:24 PM)basballguy Wrote: You asked a question "why doesn't she use her real name"

I gave you an answer (now I don't personally know why she did it, but i'm providing some anecdotal evidence to help you understand what might've been her motivations)

Maybe you're not from the US or you're just ignorant to immigrant practices in the US, I don't know.

Immigrants adopting "american sounding names" in the US is not uncommon.

There's no personal opinion in that answer.

Again, JFC this forum is a joke.

I think they want you to admit she changed her name to something "white sounding" so she could get ahead in the GOP.  Also, she isn't an immigrant.  Also, how bizarre is it that in the USA of all places it is normal to change your name from an "immigrant" name to something American, and by American we mean a name that is linked to immigrants who came here from the whitest parts of Europe.  Ain't no one Americanizing their name to Tecumseh.

I'm a music buff myself, so I always think of the amusingly high number of performers who had to change their names because "no one is going to believe a Jew can play the electric guitar."

Of course, then there is pro wrestling where the opposite was implemented in order to become instantly hated bad guys.  Americans used to pretend to be German (Texas born Jack Barton going by Fritz Von Erich, is the prime example there) or Japanese (if you were from Hawaii) in the post-WWII era, Italian dudes could either be themselves and come off as smarmy jerks or pretend to be Native Americans, and there was always the option to put a white guy who looks a bit ethnic in a tag team with someone who was legitimately Russian or from Japan to get some insta-heat.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 04:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: If you really wanted to talk about states rights, border security, the economy, or small business protection, then you'd probably get something a bit more engaging from me than when you say "derp, they are focused on trans bathrooms and not real issues".  

I agree that "states rights, border security... etc." are real issues.  And I'd be happy to talk about them if they were really at the center of the GOP presidential campaign as policy issues.  But here I think you are shooting the messenger . . . . 

(03-20-2023, 04:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: How about you tell me who made trans bathrooms the center of their campaign?  Sure it's a talking point (a very minor one), but who's out there campaigning around trans bathrooms?  Especially for the presidency?  

Numerous GOP have done that, at all levels. That's why there is now a wave of legislation banning health care for transgenders. E.g. DeSantis--Trump's only real competition at the moment--did so in Florida last year via an appointed medical board, rather than going through the legislature. https://www.axios.com/2023/03/18/gender-affirming-health-care-bans-transgender-lgbt.
This reminds me of the surge of anti-Sharia legislation from 10 years ago, or the more recent banning of CRT in schools that don't have it.

There could be a GOP candidate out there who has not made "wokeness" a primary issue; but at present the front runners and those appealing to the MAGA base have these priorities in both their interviews and speeches, and where in power, with their legislative priorities as well.  Trump takes it all to an even darker stage by campaigning on REVENGE, not "states rights" or "the economy." 

And what is the GOP House doing with its new committee power, investigating small business protection--or protecting Trump? 

It may be that for you the culture war issues are minor points, but they are not for your party, when its leaders place them front and center with both talk and action (e.g., legislation, committee formation).  And when voters prefer overwhelmingly to elect a twice-impeached ex-pres who attempted a coup.

I can't talk border security when democracy is at stake.

(03-20-2023, 04:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: I do think you are an informed and intelligent person so I'm not trying to personally attack you.  I just do not feel you actually care enough to discuss what the real issues are for someone like me and would just rather throw pot shots* all day long.

None of the issues you rightly think important can be effectively addressed so long as manufactured culture war issues get the votes, and so long as, when GOP candidates do address them, it is just to claim Biden is doing it all wrong. 

And this is ultimately the fault of GOP voters, who take that bait rather than demanding their candidates address the "real" issues and uphold the rule of law.

So we probably don't disagree on where the terrain of productive political discussion SHOULD be in a healthy democracy, 
but neither of us controls that terrain. 

Hence the difference in our priorities. If the house is burning down, I want to address the fire, not debate which furnishings need replacing.

*As far as "pot shots" go--have you noticed how often people complain about the length of my posts? I have in many places taken the trouble to introduce actual ongoing polysci and communications research into my posts to provide the history and analytical depth one can't get from typical news sources. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 05:50 PM)Dill Wrote: None of the issues you rightly think important can be effectively addressed so long as manufactured culture war issues get the votes, 

Another aspect of this is that in 2016 I think many people had the idea that the Trump bluster and culture war stuff was just a bunch of hot air to get attention and once he got into office he'd tone it down and start focusing on tangible things and listening to advisors/experts.  I'd say our experience has shown that benefit of the doubt didn't pay off, and I say this as someone who voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and didn't particularly care that Trump won.

Given the way Trump acted during and after his term I don't see how people can overlook the things he says and the way he acts, same with DeSantis.  The trust that it takes to tell yourself that they are just "pretending" to be extreme in order to win the extreme primary voters and THEN they will move on to more logical national issues, has eroded.

I don't trust either GOP front-runner to talk culture war to woo the GOP and then return a bit to the center once their base had enough red meat.  Maybe DeSantis would do that, but Trump spend his entire presidency catering to the minority of voters that would happily throw themselves under his tires and then cried "rigged election" when independent voters rightly abandoned him.  So when these guys talk about culture war stuff, I believe they are legimately focused upon it and that is their national plan and policy and focus.
Reply/Quote
Haley is all in on Bismuth subsalicylate otherwise known as Kaopectate .. How do we know this? She's got the runs again.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 09:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like the “other” Indian-American candidate better: Vivek Ramaswamy!

I had to come back to this because the guy is really making a name for himself. 

Seem he's joined the culture wars and far-right...unless he was always there.  I never heard of him before this post.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Will the MAGA crew declare this an attempted Hindu takeover?
Reply/Quote