Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nikki's Town Hall: Normalcy AND Culture War?
CNN Townhall in Iowa with broad GOP audience. Jake Tapper moderating.
For those GOP who long for normalcy and personal responsibility, Haley has a lot to offer. Some of my impressions--

For Americans in general:

1. Defending America? Her family has skin in the game. Her husband, in the National Guard, will deploy to Africa. "Not our first Rodeo," she notes. Her father, an immigrant from Punjab, was an agriculture professor at a historically Black college. Her mother was a teacher for many years. Now she cares for her parents at home. Her daughter is a nurse. Many Americans can relate to this. She is not insulated from the "normal" middle class lives of most Americans by wealth. E.g., she must meet head on the same health care issues as the rest of us, and so has first hand experience of them.

2. Foreign policy chops: Was U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Clear answers on whether we should support Ukraine or Putin, and came out strongly against praising dictators. Hard line on Russia and Iran. [Communicates the stakes there very well. "Women making molotov cocktails" to defend their families. "Win for Ukraine is a win for all of us."] Pro Israel so not a leftist-without-quotation-marks. Understands that, while China is our biggest adversary, we cannot simply de-couple. Assume production of critical defense products for which we are currently dependent upon China. Help Taiwan to defend itself with training, etc. When China sees that and a Ukraine win, they'll leave Taiwan alone; and we still adhere to the one China policy. Against Muslim bans. 

3. She was a two term governor, and generally an effective, business friendly one. And she got her state to scrap the stars 'n bars after the Charleston Church massacre, and appeared to know the personal story of each victim. Detailed explanation of the networking required to get the flag pulled down.  She can talk substantively about a range of issues from repairing roads to fixing the hospital shortage in rural areas to teacher's salaries to veterans issues, and communicate using examples from her personal experience and family.

4. Thinks 1/6 was a "terrible day" and Trump let us down. Biden is legal president. Thinks Americans want to be one nation again.

For traditional  Republicans specifically:

5.  Did not mention "race" with respect to the massacre, except to say she did not want to talk to the media immediately afterward, because they would "make it about race."* (and guns)  Has herself experienced racism, but keeps it a personal issue, to overcome personally. Her mom's advice for the playground: "Your job is not to show them how you are different; your job is to show them how you are similar." So not a problem for whites.

6.  She has a concealed carry permit. People should be able to defend themselves, now that crime is at an all time high.** Secure schools and get guns off streets. Mass shootings? Deal with "mental health." End Gun Free Zones. She is for the death penalty.

7. Took on DeSantis a bit as a guy who first subsidized Disney and then when they criticized him used taxpayer money to sue them.

8. Ready to be "honest" about entitlements. Ready to raise retirement age for SS; suits drive up healthcare costs, so drive costs down with tort reform.

9. Wants clean air and water like everyone else, but waddabout China and India? [Don't expect environmental legislation until they are contained.]

Some culture war for MAGA Repubs:

10.  No CRT, especially in Kindergarten. There's a way around trans bathrooms. Her daughter ran track--imagine having to run against a biological boy: No wonder a third of girls want to commit suicide. DeSantis Don't say Gay Bill did not go far enough. No gender discussion in school--that's for parents.A minority should not be able to force their values on others . . .

11. . . . except with regard to abortion bans. Has said elsewhere she would sign a national abortion ban, though doesn't think one could pass
    Congress.

12. Voter integrity laws are a good thing and needed, as are voter IDs.

13. China is sending fentanyl to U.S.; secure borders, catch and deport instead of catch and release; special operations to go in and get cartels. Sanction China immediately! Clamp down on businesses that hire illegals--require proof of legality (As Haley did in SC). 

Haley looks to be the most polished GOP candidate so far, with a gift for converting policy questions to personal examples and simple anecdotes. Good chance she could beat Biden in a debate--if she can steer him away from the MAGA concessions and abortion.  But what do Republicans want? She seems very competent but I'll be surprised if she makes the final cut. Whose VP might she be? Very surprised if Trump chose her, and surprised if he offered and she accepted.

*Remember, Dylan Roof killed 9 Black people to start a race war.  
**That's a Fox fact folks. There are more of those when she talks foreign policy, too. Time to discuss them later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Acknowledged Biden was President but stuck with Republican lies about massive fraud and irregularities

She has a habit of being wishy washy about her positions when she gets pushback so we will see what she says over the next couple of days

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
- I don't trust the government but ... I want to be the head of it ...

- "I want everybody to live the way they want to live. But stop pushing your views on everybody else, that's the problem" While pushing her views to anyone ...

Nonsense.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 09:29 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: - I don't trust the government but ... I want to be the head of it ...

I don't see how these are mutually exclusive or contradictory positions.

Quote:- "I want everybody to live the way they want to live. But stop pushing your views on everybody else, that's the problem" While pushing her views to anyone ...

Nonsense.

Aside from being willing to sign a national abortion ban, which I disagree with, I didn't see anything in OP that could be characterized this way.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 08:56 AM)pally Wrote: Acknowledged Biden was President but stuck with Republican lies about massive fraud and irregularities

She has a habit of being wishy washy about her positions when she gets pushback so we will see what she says over the next couple of days

Only Trump could lead to a political party where people want to challenge him for the nomination, but can't admit that he didn't win. 

I'd like you to nominate me because I have a better chance of winning than a guy I am obligated to admit won two landslide victories in a row.  I've known people in my life who let toxic people rule their lives and reshape their realities...it's just interesting seeing the GOP go down that same path as a person with no self-worth and confidence. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 08:56 AM)pally Wrote: Acknowledged Biden was President but stuck with Republican lies about massive fraud and irregularities

Her description of her response to the Charleston Massacre was fascinating. SC just needed to "heal" so she wouldn't talk to media. They would just make a racial mass shooting all about race and guns.

But then Roof posted his manifesto and the Confederate flag. So she jumped into action by scheduling meetings with leaders of SC Senate and House to act on the flag issue, and with local community leaders to see what SC could do for them in their time of need. All meetings behind doors with a promise she would not reveal what they said. Then she revealed what they said (no names though), proposing to take down the flag at the capitol but leave the pole up. She knew the flag would return once the media left, so she stood up to them etc. Terrible difficulty getting the House to take down the flag after the massacre, but no systemic race problem.

She was really presenting herself as someone who could deal with racial issues without talking about race, working behind the scenes, etc. Keeping with the GOP theme--media bad; no race problem. 

So she seems often to take away with one hand while giving back with the other. Cops were called on her father because of his turban, but don't make a scene about stuff like that. Up to the victim to demonstrate s/he is no threat to white majority.  Disagreed with DeSantis "Don't say Gay" bill; but it didn't go far enough because only parents should be talking to kids about gender, so really no one should be saying "Gay" at all in k-12.

(06-05-2023, 09:29 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: - I don't trust the government but ... I want to be the head of it ...
- "I want everybody to live the way they want to live. But stop pushing your views on everybody else, that's the problem" While pushing her views to anyone ...
Nonsense.

Few in the audience she is pitching too will see anything contradictory in her desire deregulate the economy and jump into the culture wars. She tends to frame proposed control and exclusion in schools as family protection from school administrators, enhancing parental freedom etc.  

She follows the line that returning the abortion decision to the states enhanced "freedom"--though she would be fine with a national abortion ban (though probably not feasable).  She wants to get into government to reduce it, she would say.

I think the messaging may be too mixed with traditional emphasis on effective government coupled with culture war moral panic and overreach--"Trans bathrrooms--No wonder so many young girls want to commit suicide."

She has contrasted herself with DeSantis and Trump as likely to be more effective in governance and able to talk about some issues, like race, without ruffling feathers or ignoring them altogether. Pence may seem more attractive to Evangelicals. If Christy jumps into the race, it will be very interesting to see what fraction of voters initially go for Haley. I think she could be very popular in Iowa, much more so than the hyper energetic Ramaswamy. 
Reply/Quote
Culture war. She was spouting off things that she knew was pure BS to try and gin up the base
Reply/Quote